"The Bible and Religious Cults", an article from the ESV Study bible including JWs!

by Chalam 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rocketman
    rocketman

Mad Sweeney wrote: "In fact, on many of those the WT is just as likely to be correct in its interpretation as mainstream Christendom. "

Good point. While interesting, this is simply a matter of one "Christian" denomination/group contending with the teachings of another by using so-called "proof" texts, most of which can be and are interpreted in different ways.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Wow, thanks for sharing

• choosing life
    choosing life

Lovelylill2, thanks for the list of titles for God. I used to talk to the Mormons when they came around and they always stressed how many different names there are in the OT for God.

How would you get around the idea that one is a personal name and the others are titles or descriptions of God? I don't call God Jehovah anymore, but that is what a jw would say about the other names.

• Chalam
    Chalam

If no one has ever seen God, then Isiah saw Jesus, correct?

Could be!

I agree, if God and Jesus wanted to make it clear Jesus would have simply said, Yo, I am God, deal with it !!

That wouldn't fit with this though Philippians 2:5-7 Or this Galatians 3:11 Or this John 20:29

Doctrine is just what makes one group distinct from another.

Well yes but doctrine is to do with truth and falsehood, believers and non believers.

To me the issue with the WT in rgeards to Jesus is their claim that he was Michael.

A doctrinal issue. Agreed, anything the WT preach and teach in regard to Jesus is the core destructive heresy.

In regards to salvation, their claim that door-to-door preaching is essential ( not mandatory I think) and that it is using Jehova's name and not Jesus ( as is plainly stated in the bible) that warrants salvation.

Another false doctrine.

To me the hell issue is irrelavant, but the issue of two classes is very relevant.

Hell is irrelevant to JWs and other annihilationists because they deem any punishment is momentary and "the dead are conscious of nothing".

However, the bible speaks of the second death as a eternal conscious torment. That has to be a very big issue.

The whole "two class" of JW doctrine is to keep as many people away from salvation as possible.

That and the silliness of the 1914 doctrine.

Agreed. Dates are silly, especially for "Satan being cast out of heaven" and "Jesus selecting God's organisation", what nonsense!

Yes, 1914 is significant but only for WWI

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit