Missing a big part of life

by lancelink 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• White Dove
    White Dove

Some people, like myself, are very visual and appreciate the memories conjured up by seeing something special, like an heirloom. I need visual things to enhance my memories.

• blondie
    blondie

Old photos?

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Yeah...when I was becoming a JW, I was dating one, and he told me to get rid of all my trophies...mostly bowling trophies...because they were self worship. I got rid of one almost as tall as I was that I was reeeeallllly proud of just because that jackwipe told me to. I also threw away a huge amount of my wardrobe that he thought was inappropriate for JWs. And all my "impractical" shoes.

what the hell was I thinking???

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Starting with the "sun worship" decorations, I was starting pretty much on my own so most of them were not really that great quality. I had some bulbs that were shiny thread wrapped around a plastic balls, and these were starting to come unraveled. I also had some crap lights, a tree, tacky paper hangings, and tinsel garland. I also had numerous handmade snowflakes (which I could just as easily remake). What I gained back was much more than I lost--LED lights, a bigger Christmas tree, double the ornaments per cubic foot, and double the tinsel garland I had to throw away.

I also had to throw away quite a bit of music. The albums were not too bad, since I could get them on CDs. However, there were quite a few 12" single versions that I could not find on CD--many of them I had to steal by using LimeWire. I am still missing the Culture Club's 1986 release with "Move Away" (long version)--I couldn't even steal that song in that version, let alone buy it.

They also made me throw away (or destroy, as in erasing) numerous video tapes with R-rated movies, my college yearbook, numerous horoscopes and numerology workups, and quite a few tabloids (which I read solely for entertainment). They even wanted me to discontinue Readers Digest (which, incidentally, went to crap in recent years). Given a chance, they would have had me throw away or erase every single one of my records, tapes containing real music, my TV, books not from the Washtowel Slaveholdery, and my Commodore 64 computer.

• blondie
    blondie

I live in an area that has been hit by huge floods in the last 2 years. My in-laws lost everything material, family photos, christmas decorations from 60 years, furniture, clothes, cars, perennials collected over 25 years. Thanks to their family that don't live in the area, they were able to put together family photos. They are such good role models for my husband and I. They just keep saying that it is the people in their lives that matter.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

"Decades worth of memorable decorations were disposed of in line with JW teachings"

I understand completely how you feel. When I was young, my grandma had a ceramic christmas tree with lights on it. I loved that thing. Now that I am celebrating holidays (2nd year now), I wish I had that tree to put on my mantle. It had fond memories attached to it. I truly hope you and your family are able to make new, special traditions together as the years pass.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, this thread makes me feel both sad and hopeful. Blondie - so sorry to hear about your in-laws' losses - heartwarming to hear about the rest of the family pulling together to help alleviate the loss, though...

So sad to hear about the losses of items - many of which were classic, if not antiques - that had deep sentimental value attached. Hope you can all (as several have most intelligently suggested) gather a new hoard of ornaments/Xmas items together that will eventually become significant in your family's traditions...

One suggestion - and it may be a dumb one - try checking out antique stores, junk shops, thrift stores, and the like. Sometimes you find something that is similar - or the exact same thing - that someone else gave away.

I had a book called "Up Front", written by Bill Mauldin during WWII, in paperback version, when I was still a JW. Had access to it, actually - it belonged to my father. When I left the JWs - no more access to that book...

Then I found it in hardback [WHAT a find!] in a thrift store... Needless to say, it's one of my favorite books. Zid

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, replacing heirloom Christmas decorations is difficult. However, you could start by researching online "Christmas decorations". Whether you want lots of cheaper decorations or a few expensive ones, you should be able to find the one or ones you want--from mass-produced plastic bulbs that come 60 to a set, to that one of a kind ceramic tree or village set that is going to cost more than $5,000--they are everywhere online, if you know what to look for. You might even find a classic looking piece with modern technology, such as LED lights and moving parts.

However, that will not replace the sentimental value. True, those old ornaments and decorations may have been obsolete, worn out, or have busted or missing parts. But, it is often what they stood for that matters most--something that may not be an issue if you started gathering new ones and had to throw them away, but that matters a great deal if your great-grandmother willed them to your parents just before they came into the cancer.

• mtreacy0
    mtreacy0

Hello Brothers & Sisters

I started studying World events & the King James Version Bible, in 1981.

In 1990 - 1992 we had a house call form Jehovah Witnesses, My mother in law invited the 2 brothers into our home, we had an excellent talk with them, & decided to start a bible study, it lasted almost 2 years, my wife & I could noth understand the truth book study in connection with the 7 bowls in revelations, we called for a break in studying, which lasted for me until 2007, I started studying again & todate have not looked backed, only 1 problem is my wife is in opposition with me as I have changed for the better, I am not Baptized as yet but working toward it, I am medically retired I dont get to study read , prepare for meetings, or examing the daily texts, yet when I make the time clear it is back into reading, Jehovah & his son Jesus have blessed me, in my efforts & 1 day I will be baptized & it will be an honor to dedicate my life to Jehovah & his son Jesus.

Those who came into the truth & left, & speak out bad about the witnesses, I am surprised, at it, what they have given up, to live & be apart of Satan's system which is in it's final hour's as measured in Jehovah's time.

Warm Christian Love, to you all, whether you believe or not,

I cannot be bothered reading or listening to bad talk about the witnesses, I do respect you & all I ask is the same respect in return.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit