Christmas Tips

by cognac 10 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

Do you tip your mailman, newspaper, oil delivery persons? If so, what do you normally give? Who else do you tip?

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

It is illegal to tip government employees (better to just bribe them outright), so do not tip your mailman.

It is no longer considered the norm to tip national chain delivery persons (e.g. Fed-Ex, UPS, etc.). Mom and pop deliveries can be tipped. Pizza guys must be tipped 1 or 2 dollars (I think it is a law under Obama-care or a mobster thing...).

Trash haulers used to come by the door every year to get tipped...that is no longer true.

Newspaper delivery persons: yup, tip 'em, $5 minimum, cause you don't want to know where your paper will be thrown come December 26 if you don't.

JW soliciters should never be tipped or they just keep coming back, and back, and back...

Warning: tips should always be in paper currency and never in the form of milk and cookies, Santa is very earnest about that...

• undercover
    undercover

We tip the newspaper delivery person at the end of the year. I think it was $20 last year. One person has been our delivery person for several years.

We don't tip mailpersons. We don't have one set person. It changes all the time. No other delivery people on a regular basis.

I tip for services as they occur, like haircuts, servers, etc. but I do give a couple of gift cards to my favorite bartenders at my favorite bar. Always keep the bartender happy. I like a generous pour...

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I do not tip the mailman, as already said that is illegal.

I tip the following people; newspaper delivery person, my regular hairdresser and my nail girl. Interestingly both my hairdresser and nail girl who I've been going to for years gives me a little present too. Usually a gift certificate for their services or some nice fragrant lotion. Lilly

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I have heard of some females having a special tip for the milkman, not just at xmas either

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

What surprises me about this thread is how many people still read a newspaper! Dang! I haven't touched a newspaper in years, thats what the internet is for! LOL

As for the mailman, yes cash gifts are a no go, but if you have a speaking terms relationship with them sometimes a $5.00 starbucks card is accepted. Ethics laws say that you cannot accept more than $50.00 in this type of thing in a year, some won't take anything just to make it clear they aren't going to do that, and others will, so it depends on the individual employee.

Hairdresser, yes, any service provider you frequent would also be a good person to tip on the holidays.

Good thread!

Ada

• VIII
    VIII

I don't care if it's *Illegal* to tip the mailperson. The mail carrier who delivers to my home is wonderful. I leave $20.00 in an envelope with their name handwritten on it in my mailbox on a day when I know they will be delivering. My mailman is a man and hand carrys the mail door to door. No car, no truck driving mail box to mail box. He covers an incredible distance and I think he deserves my thanks one time per year.

Illegal? Who's going to arrest me? The Postal Police? For giving a gift to him?

To cheapout on service people is really sad. They all deserve a tip at Christmas time unless their service is so dismal that they shouldn't be in that job to begin with.

People, please get out of the Cheapo JW mindset. Share a few of your dollars with the Worldlies out there. It won't kill you!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And no, I will not tip those witlesses. They did me a whopper of a disservice, and thus they owe me money.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I thought I read somewhere you could tip/gift the mailperson in a value up to 20/25 dollars.

I usually give them some boxed candy with a ribbon and christmas card on it. It's not expensive, it' sealed so they can be sure it's safe, and it's a nice way to say thanks for holding my mail when I'm on vacation and such! Mine even left me a thank you note after the holidays for remembering her!

My garbage men use a truck that doesn't require them to actually touch the garbage. They grab the can with a lever and flip it. I don't know how to leave them something! They probably wouldn't see it! They don't get out of the truck!

I'm thinking of baking something for the pediatrician, dentist and vet. They know us, so they would trust a homemade gift!

I'd stick with a box of candy or homemade goodies for the oil man too! I need to order some more propane soon...so thanks for the reminder!

• dissed
    dissed

"People, please get out of the cheapo JW mindset"

- VIII

They were very good at teaching that, weren't they?

"We don't give on one special day like Xmas, that 's wrong. We give when we can afford to. So that means, we don't give anything, to anyone, on any day of the year"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit