More Evangelical Protestants in the U.S. than Mainline Protestants

by leavingwt 20 Replies latest social current

• Chalam
    Chalam

Designs

Do you ever post without insulting someone?

Bump

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leavingwt

Please be more specific.

I wish I could. For example, I've been attending an American Baptist Church of late. They are listed in the survey as being "Mainline Protestants", yet they consider themselves Evangelical.

Personally I consider myself reformed, like Luther or Calvin (probably Mainline), but, when I look at the beliefs of those in the survey, I don't come close.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Many of the mainline protestant churches are now identifying themselves as evangelical, like the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

• designs
    designs

I like to save the soliloquy for the big Cult here (Fundamentalists).......its a public service part of this Forum

sir82- After Evangelical George Bush wreaked things can you imagine 8 years of Sister Sarah P..

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

DD and Drew,

Perhaps your personal observations are exactly what this new data reveals. Fewer mainline and more evangelicals. The beliefs may be changing while the names remain the same. I don't know.

-LWT

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Another point to consider. . .

Unlike within high-control groups, there is a WIDE variety of personal beliefs among members of most churches. The Pew data cannot possibly compensate for this. It's definitely a broad overview and there will be many individuals within churches who may feel that they have been inaccurately described. I suspect the percentages within the graph attempt to represent the orthodoxy of each church, as best possible.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    After Evangelical George Bush wreaked things

Acording to the survey GWB would be Mainline.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

fundamentally anti-intellectual

Sign o' the times.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

How reliable is this survey? It said it was done by a telephone survey? Is that right?

Just wondering..carry on...

• JAFO
    JAFO
    Yikes!
    We'll end up with Sarah Palin in the White House yet...

There are worse things.. Trust me..

Dick Cheney In 2012? Daughter Liz Floats Idea On Fox News

There's nothing quite like a psychopath with nukes to make the world nervous...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit