Santa Claus

by Joshnaz 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Kinda reminds me of what my Mormon friends tell their kids. Mormons can't drink coffee, so they told their kids "Coffee will turn your knees black." Well, one bright early Saturday morning, they brought their kids over and as usual I was drinking my morning coffee. The little girl looks at me and says, "Are your knees black?" and I showed her my knees and they weren't black and she looked at her mom and gave her that "you lied to me" look. It was great!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Joshnaz, hello ... I understand what you're thinking (and some of that is how the WT condemns lying to children), BUT there's a BIG difference. IF once your lad reaches 10 or 11 and naturally stops believing (because he can now REASON) and THEN you punish him for not continuing to believe a 'lie', THEN you can compare to the WT. As it is, it's a nice fantasy (or maybe it is real?) which he will enjoy for a short time...

• actage
    actage

you could always tell the kids, "If you don't believe in Santa, you get underware"

this is also available as a shirt from The Lighter Side catalog.

http://www.lighterside.com/product/tshirtssweatshirts/holidayseasonal/christmas/christmas+underwear+tee.do?search=basic&keyword=santa&sortby=newArrivals&page=1&WT.svl=68911#

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

actage wrote: "you could always tell the kids, 'If you don't believe in Santa, you get underware'"

LOL -- really funny!

"A growing element of many cultures is the use of Santa within the Christmas celebration. Santa Claus is a fairy tale figure expressly created for the purpose of delighting children and to keep them behaving properly throughout the year. Santa is the virtual personification of generosity who promises children maximum toy benefit in exchange for nothing more than their being good and their undoubting belief in him.

Yet, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, a holiday invented by Christians for the purpose of honoring Christ. In what way does the Santa Claus mythology enhance our focus on God and sharpen our love for Christ?

At risk of edging into legalism and being accused of making too much of a petty and trivial element of the Christmas observance, this author postulates that perhaps Santa Claus is used improperly by Christians. Santa Claus, as the all-seeing gift giver, can become the central theme of Christmas to children, can push Christ out of their heart’s mind, and capture the place of adoration and delighted worship during this season.

This author does not deny that the Santa myth is fun. Fun, however, represents only the human perspective on this issue, and not the spiritual or eternal reality." (quoted from http://thefaithfulword.org/santa.html )

This guy goes on to describe the other alternative to getting underware!

• dissed
    dissed

"Everyone knows Xmas is Santa's birthday"

- Bart Simpson, The Simpsons

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

LOL! Very interesting thoughts all of you! I can tell we are all "Thinkers" here. I guess thats why we are not fooled by the WBTS.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Santa is real! If you believe in God and a heavenly reward...he's up there! His spirit is alive and well...in both ways!

If it wasn't for him and his example...would there be any gifts at all under the tree?

That being said...we divide the loot up as some from us and a little from the big guy. Hubby didn't want him to have all the credit! So stockings and specific gifts are from Santa. The rest go under the tree earilier! Santa has left foot prints around the house, the reindeer have gotten in the fridge and made a mess of the carrots and veggies! They've left foot prints too! (footprints were baking soda sprinkled on the floor in shapes! The little guy tasted it and said he knew it was Santa. At first he said he thought I put salt on the floor...but it wasnt salt! I told him it was the residue of the snow from the other places he's been!)

The Easter Bunny also found us when we had to travel and were in a hotel. Again, the youngest knew he would find us.

The tooth fairy is forgetful at times and has left notes that her bag was too full and heavy with teeth and she had to come back to collect his later!

Our oldest was unfortunately originally given the JW version of the holidays until she was 7. We tried back peddaling and telling her how we didn't believe that way anymore. Santa brought her what she wanted and she was happy!

They know the Santa's they see are just helpers. They found that out by accident! I bought a Christmas CD and listened to it with them the first time and it had the Beach Boys song about taking a boy to see Santa and the kid pulling the pillow/beard off and finding out he wasn't really Santa Clause. OOPs! It was a blessing in disguise though! They love it and know when they see one he's just helping! The real one is at the North Pole!

Two years ago we mailed a Santa letter and actually got a reply! I was more excited I think! It was awesome! But I heard the Post Office isn't doing that this year. :o(

Just enjoy! Have fun...but be prepared! You don't want to get caught with no cash when the Tooth Fairy needs to call! If I had it to do over, I would have stocked up on $2 bills or those gold coin dollars! Go get them now before that first tooth falls out in another 4 or 5 years!

• jeremiahjs
    jeremiahjs

Don't lie to your kids. People teach that Santa is immortal, reads everyones hearts, then judges them every year; and then gives thems their wordly treasures, regardless of their behavior they still get what they want. This is teaching a false god. Only God can read hearts. And God is our Judge. Kids need to know they can trust you from the earliest ages, don't ever lie to them always be honest. And besides there is no record when Jesus was born, but the Roman Pagan sun god's birthday was on dec.25 and they loved that festival so much they substituted it with Jesus. There is no truth in Christmas. Christmas spirit is spiritism and a lie. The only decent thing about it is that it forces you to love your loved ones, though not out of your own will but out of the traditions command. You should want your kids to have a solid foundation out of love truth and faith in God and his Son.

• bohm
    bohm

I think small children live in a world where the lines between fantasy and reality is pretty blurry; i am fairly sure (from what i can remember) that certain stories was both real and not real to me, ie. i would think of the characters as being real when i was told the stories, but if someone had asked me if the troll or whatever really sat under the bridge i would have said no because i also *knew* there was no trolls.

Similarily with santa, the easter bunny, mom playing the dangerous 'monster', etc. I can remember one christmas where i was sure santa brought presents to me, and then others where i knew it was just a game and he didnt *really* exist, but it was fun to play anyway - my point is that the transition was gradual, and i cannot remember ever feeling cheated. Even though i found out santa was not real, it was still a fun game.

Then again, I dont think my parents ever told me i had to be nice or santa wouldnt bring me presents, and its my own theory that is the only way a children will really be disappointed on finding out there is no santa: He or she will realise santa was a tool of control.

But I dont have children so this is all pretty theoretical :-).

mr bohm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit