Is Eloping very common in JW land?

by asilentone 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• ninja
    ninja

I'm talking pish now.........soz guys.....bedtime for me.....may the hairs on your heads turn into drumsticks and beat your brains out

he he....da ninja

• dissed
    dissed

I confess, we eloped. But, we told everyone what we were doing one month ahead of time.

Wifey didn't want a big wedding and all the JW's were trying to plan it for us and getting UPSET if we didn't follow their ideas. She was getting very stressed out. I called a friend, a CO, and he said to come out to his trailor for the wedding and we did. Just the parents came, that's all.

Then we came back to our new house and started the new life. Too cheap for a honeymoon. New out of Bethel didn't give you much to spend.

JW's NEVER forgave us for depriving them of a party. One elder flipped me off for not having him give the talk. One elder was crying, he was so heart broken we didn't choose him.

Wifes parents, non-JW's gave us a check to buy our first house, nice uh. But no, we rented our first house, because the end was SOOOO close and used the money to help us pioneer. hahahaha, what fools we were!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

In 22 years I knew only one. The fellow went to the US to meet a JW he had been writing to. He came back a couple of weeks later - married. The cong would not miss out on a wedding so they arranged a small one at my grandmother's place.

Now when my mother proposed my marriage to a new study in the hall I suggested a long engagement - like a year long. She would have none of that so I suggested we just go off and elope. She was totally upset with that one too because he wasn't baptized yet. So And yes my mother did the proposing. she decided we would all go to the DC where he would be baptized and we would get married the following week.

Yes mother. I will mother. 5 weeks from the time she proposed to the wedding

what a disaster that was

• dissed
    dissed

Didn't Knorr elope, sort of?

He went off to visit a branch, don't remember which one, usually it was Tahiti when he went off on those visits, and came back married.

I wasn't at Bethel then, only something I heard.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I eloped with my first husband. It was our first un-chaperoned date and I had to be back home by 9:30 pm. I arrived at 9:35. My dad had my stuff packed and on the front porch (along with me and the hubby) by 10:00. It was not pretty.

I have never looked back.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

We Eloped! Best thing i ever did! With my non-JW hubby!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Wish we had

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

It was looked down on very strongly where I am from, not sure why though.

Too worried about the stuff "looks" i guess.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I eloped with my first husband. It was our first un-chaperoned date and I had to be back home by 9:30 pm. I arrived at 9:35. My dad had my stuff packed and on the front porch (along with me and the hubby) by 10:00. It was not pretty.

You eloped and it made you late so your Dad kicked you out?

Or, your Dad kicked you out, and it led to you eloping?

Either way, sounds like an awful way to get your adult life started.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    You eloped and it made you late so your Dad kicked you out?
    Or, your Dad kicked you out, and it led to you eloping?

We eloped and returned home by 9:35 to tell the folks.

I figured either way it was going to be hell. No need to stoke the fire by adding insult to injury. My husband's best friend's mom was a JOP. She performed the ceremony at her house.

My dad told my husband, "she's your's now. Get out." And we did.

Either way, sounds like an awful way to get your adult life started

Other than being disowned (for the first time) it wasn't too bad. My husband was "worldly" and there were some problems. Although divorced, we have a son and remain friends. I even like his wife. LOL

Would I do it again? If in the same circumstances, I do not see how I couldn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit