intro/ brief vent

by Axelspeed 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Hello..new to the board, though I have lurked for a while. This is surprising because just a few months ago it would have been unthinkable. If some even thought that I hinted in this direction, ….I don’t even want to try and explain the repercussions. Maybe in the future I will tell more about myself, but for now this will have to do.

Lately I have come to a crossroads, being unhappy for a while, probably for much of my life. Born into the org. I like many had little if any choice in the matter. It was basically this way or no way, with other more firm measures to used to enforce this decree. Got baptized, at an age that I now know was probably too young to make this kind of decision (I can see how it would be wise to wait 30…even 40, when a person at least starts to know himself), but the path was expected, with no hint of wavering, from my earliest recollections. It was always ASSUMED that this was my path,…what other way was there? Can’t even remember my first talk or first door. Now going back to school to pursue degree (no need to elaborate), and very few know about even this, as I usually just say I’m taking a few classes for work.

I know that for many this sincerely is there life, no matter how miserable or unworthy they feel or how they might never meet expectations. I find true what I think JT related a few days ago about the “lady and her basket”, and so I am really in no mood to crush the hopes of others, though I myself disagree with much and the list is growing. A result of what some would call independent thinking. (I sort of disagree with the terminology though, because if one can’t think independently, can he be really thinking? Aren’t they the same? ) I won’t go into it here, but the contradictions and double standards are troubling, to say the least.

One dilemma is that there really is no way to exit gracefully, especially when one is born into it as a member of a well-known family. You can’t just unsign up. One cannot undertake a truly unbiased search for truth (with WT blinders off) without repercussions. I have not come to any decisions …yet, but suffice it to say that in making a decision to leave, I would be literally on my own. No family. No friends. Maybe this is just desserts for one who has through the eyes of the organization unwittingly looked at the world in such judgmental terms…result of conditioning. As I get older (and hopefully wiser) I feel foolish and ashamed at some of the thinking. I was sincere, but probably needed more regard for the human condition. Though some may believe differently, I got absolutely no joy or pleasure out of some things, especially when it came to the lives of others. After all, who am I?

I have appreciated the thoughts of many on this DB, as I have seen that I am not alone or isolated in many of my thoughts. I agree with many of the thoughts of many and can sympathize with others who have posted and have served or are serving in some capacity (use discernment) because I think we come from very similar perspectives.

FOR ANY JWs . You may not see it or believe it. But I think something is very wrong. As I look into the eyes of the friends, many are disheartened, disillusioned, and tired. And really all are victims. Even though we have always been taught that it would never be easy, I cannot help but think that in the light of Jesus words that his yoke would be light and that he would be a source of refreshment, that something has gotten lost in the translation.

An example was a part on the SM from the KM a few weeks ago about “counting our time wisely” in which the article spelled out the number of hours in a week, then subtracted the 8-10 hours or so needed for sleep and the 8 per day needed for work, and then proceeded to suggest ways in which we could use the rest for the ministry…. If this was meant to be encouraging, I’m not sure it accomplished this; (I believe many left asking: Will I ever really be able to do enough?) and though the line is always been, “do what you are able to according to you circumstances”, there is an undercurrent that says otherwise…that hints to the friends that love is conditional and directly related to how much is done….I will say again, many of the friends are tired and troubled. I am absolutely positive of this. I’m glad I was not assigned that part, because I’m not sure I could have made it through.

As I stated earlier, I am at a crossroads of sorts…but I think I really already know the inevitable. Though it would undoubtedly be hard for me…To live not being true to myself I think would be harder. And if I’m wrong, I wonder …if the NW will be may up of some of the same judgmental, narrow minded thinking…does it really hold appeal ? Sometimes I just want to leave (I know its strange, but you know the part in "forrest gump" where he goes on a mindless running thing back and forth across the country...and then one day, out of the blue, in the middle of the desert, with crowds behind him, supporting whatever they believe to be his "cause", he just decides it's time to stop...go home...and do something else); but then many times I feel myself wanting to help the friends, comfort them, knowing that many of them too (many with no choice in the matter) are just a cog in a wheel and find themselves also caught…powerless… but with no where else to go (gracefully anyway) as they have cut off all former associates and now would risk everything again.

Thanks all for listening. Hope I didn’t ramble. Don’t really know when I’ll post again…but just had to say a few things.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    ...I am at a crossroads of sorts…but I think I really already know the inevitable

Yep, you do. Congratulations if you choose the honest way. It is sooo much better for your mental health, you can't even understand how much better yet.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Congratulations on taking a very daring and brave step. You have broken out of the matrix. Outside isn't always easy either, but at least you can be your own person. Everone has enough brains to decide what is right and what is wrong. It sounds like you are still fairly young, and so it is easier to build a new life.

Good luck;) SS

• flower
    flower

i agree with your post a hundred percent. they are tired but yet they go on. trying to measure up to a standard so high its impossible to reach.

thanks for posting and welcome. looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

flower

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hey Axelspeed...
    Welcome to the board!!!
    I read your touching post and remembered what a conundrum it is to be at the beginning of this thing. The thing is the inevitable exit. It feels like such a puzzle and the mind races trying to sort it out and trying not to make yet another mistake...
    If it helps... it does get clearer... time works it's wonders and things do get sorted out... You seem pretty clear on the problems and how they make you feel and you see the results all around you... and yes, the affection for your fellow jw's is important... helping them is important..
    One thing I had to come to grips with was do I continue being unhappy and unfulfilled helping my friends, or do I get happy and fulfilled and then help them when they don't want to listen... Both are hard roads, both come with sacrifice and reward... It's up to you how to proceed from this point...
    From my personal experience exiting... those that are ready to hear will listen, those that aren't won't, no matter what you do....family, friends included....so staying miserable doesn't really make sense, moving forward does... there is no comfort like living with integrity, your own that is, not some copy from an organization that has lost sight of the value of personal integrity... it can't be dictated to you, you have to learn to live it, as it comes, day by day, lesson by lesson... life is a great teacher too.
    I have been out for over 4 years now... and I must say, the experience, though difficult has been very rewarding... to be able to make up my own mind about my "faith" and what is important to me empowers me, makes me strong... to search out information and find out the things I want to know about is also great, it's a journey and one I wouldn't turn my back on... I've learned so much about religion and faith, the real world around me and more importantly, about myself, and found there is so much more to learn... I've discovered myself, learned some of my strengths and exposed some of my weaknesses... but I am free to do it without the constraints of WT conformity on me, or any other religious constraints for that matter... and I must say, I prefer it this way.
    Sometimes you have to let go of something to get something... and this may be what you are dealing with right now. It's not easy, either road isn't easy, but in the next few days, the next few weeks and months your thoughts will clear more and you will know more about what you want to do and how you will do it... For me, it was very stressful at first, but in the end I couldn't deny that I was living a lie....the WT lie and I couldn't do it anymore.... losing friends and being outcast didn't weigh as highly in the balance as not living true to myself... Likewise, you will make your decisions... the consequences will follow as they naturally do and you will have to deal with them....
    It won't be easy, but you will have friends, people who know what your going through, right here on this board.
    Your welcome to email me, mine is open... and your in great company here... so many here have been through similar situations... they have been a help to me and I'm sure they will be of help to you...
    Remember to take care of yourself, emotionally and physically... take your time... you don't need to rush...
    I wish you the best...

a new friend...
    Inq :)

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Welcome! We all here understand the emotional and intellectual roller coaster you are on right now and are here to talk about as much as you need to. Keep true to yourself and to God. God gave us his word to read and know him by and it is not difficult or a heavy load. Keep in mind in all your thinking that leaving the Watchtower's rule is not the same as leaving God. In fact, if you truly Love Yahweh he will lead you out of there and to him. We hope we can help in any way we can. If you'd like to e-mail me to discuss anything, emotional or intellectual, feel free. You don't have to tell us who you are-- Just know you are welcome here :) (try Chat too if you have anything you want to talk about.)
    God bless, [email protected]

• Scully
    Scully

Axelspeed writes:

As I stated earlier, I am at a crossroads of sorts…but I think I really already know the inevitable. Though it would undoubtedly be hard for me…To live not being true to myself I think would be harder. And if I’m wrong, I wonder …if the NW will be may up of some of the same judgmental, narrow minded thinking…does it really hold appeal ?

Your thoughts are identical - almost verbatim - to an entry I made in my journal about 8 years ago.

I believe that personal growth and development for most people involves the kind of reflective quality that you are going through. Don't think of it as a bad thing EVER!! Almost every single person on this forum has gone through exactly the same quandary. The key to making the best transition possible is to begin NOW setting up a support network, so that when the inevitable "Where else is there to go?" question comes from your 'concerned JW friends', you can honestly answer with "Anywhere but HERE".

This is a good place to start. You'll find lots of camraderie, lots of people who understand what it's like to be in your situation. And as you get to know "worldly" people, you'll find that they're not the bogeymen that we were taught that they were. There are genuinely good, honest, hard-working, caring, thoughtful, generous people out there who won't judge you by the numbers on a monthly service report. I've found some, so has everyone else, and you will too.

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace. Feel free to vent and talk and rant as much or as little as you need.

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Axelspeed,

I have little to add, the above posts should be helpful. I loved your take on independent thinking, that it's really the ONLY kind of thinking! Man, you ARE thinking!!

This part, you're being hard on yourself:

Maybe this is just desserts for one who has through the eyes of the organization unwittingly looked at the world in such judgmental terms…
    Don't fall into that trap of self-flagellation! The WT Society builds artificial walls around each of us, and this is especially true of those of us (like you and me) who have been trapped in the organization since we were born. With their man-made rules, they make you stand out from the world, and then to keep you "holy" (separate from everyone else), they disparage any attempts at positive contact with the non-JW world other than witnessing to them! So it turns out just as the WT Society hopes, if you leave, you leave as an isolated one (at least at first).

However, in time the void gets filled. Best wishes on your decisions, and I hope you'll stick around here for a while!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Hi Axelspeed and welcome.

Many of us can relate to what you are feeling. Many of us wrestled with the same "identity crisis" when coming out. Many of us have lost most of those dear to us.

But you hit on something that helped me make my decision:

To live not being true to myself I think would be harder.
    I decided that it was far more important for me to be true to myself and live my life as I see fit and what's more, this is the right of every human being. My story is at the link below.

If and when you make the break, you can find new friends here. Depending on where you live, it might be possible to hook up often.

I wish you the best, and if you want to talk, email me at [email protected]. It will be confidential.

Doug Kelley

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• terafera
    terafera

Hi Axel! :)

I'm new here myself. I have found the people here to be extremely non-judgmental and always have welcoming hug for anyone. I could totally relate to your letter. I too, felt like you were ripping out a page of my journal. Weird, isnt it?

What everyone else has said sounds so much better than anything I could put into words, but I just wanted to share with you what I always remembered.
    True, going to meetings sometimes gave me a feeling of 'belonging' and a sense of 'family'. But after missing a few meetings and seeing no-one was really concerned, plus a multitude of other actions, I soon saw that it is a false sense of 'family'. Two sisters who I thought of as LITERAL sisters soon had nothing to do with me when I spoke of me being lonely and being attracted to a worldly man. They never called me or anything. Just dropped me like an old hat.

People I thought of as a 'mother' or 'father' type didnt even greet me at assemblies. I am not disfellowshipped.. never baptized. But people I have been raised around have ignored me at meetings and in public. I cannot imagine God wanting people to treat ANY human this way.. especially someone considered a 'brother or sister'.

I do not hate JW's. Far from it... I believe some have good motives and are sincerely trying to do right. But I know of far many more that are quick to point fingers at, gossip, hate, judge and belittle in the name of Jehovah.

It came down to this: I considered going to the Sunday meeting last year, at the nagging of my mother. When I confronted myself and realized the stomach-ache I got everytime I thought about meetings, I had to acknowledge the facts. I didnt want to go back to that lifestyle. I got nothing but non-approval and conditional affection my whole life, and I wasnt about to bring my son up in it.

I thought that if you go into the world you must be a drug taking, boozing, sex freak. I know differently now. I can still be a Christian and not be a JW. I have morals, and live life like I think Jehovah would want me to.

And you know what? I've met more Christ-like people in the 'world' than I have in any Kingdom Hall.

Hope to talk to you again!

Yours,
    Tera

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit