For those who joined as adults

by brainwashed-from-birth 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

It was the "paradise earth" and living forever with your family that got me in. Glad to be out now but done a good job of raising my kids in it, and paying for it now cause can't get them out.

• carpediem
    carpediem

I was at a crisis point in my life - marriage break up, problems with family, work, short of money and thinking 'what the hell is this all about'. They came knocking and I accepted a bible study because I was curious. I didnt know much about the Bible and thought perhaps it contained the meaning of life. I liked the idea of living forever in perfect health in the squeaky clean world their pictures showed. However, it took a good 18 months to indoctrinate me as I had far too many questions. For most of the time of being in I would have sworn I wasnt brainwashed and that everything made perfect sense. But being questioner and a thinker, there were too many niggles - baptising children, 1914, faithful slave class, the ridiculous memorial etc. Eventually the light got brighter and brighter and I couldnt ignore the alarm bells clanging in my head so I did a lot of research and started to use my brain and well, here I am out. I think they just came along at a low time in my life when I wanted to believe there was a better life than this.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I believe my parents joined, because they were uneducated and needed structure.

lisa

• dgp
    dgp

Lisa Vegas, I don't think "education" is a major factor. Lack of information, or feeling like you can't go lower are. This happens with all similar groups, to all similar people. The sad thing is that it happens, even to people you would have never thought they could join the group.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Lisa Vegas, I don't think "education" is a major factor. Lack of information, or feeling like you can't go lower are. This happens with all similar groups, to all similar people. The sad thing is that it happens, even to people you would have never thought they could join the group.

I think in my parents case lack of education did play a big part. My dad could not read, the JW's taught him with the "Learn to Read and Write" book. My mom was 16 and a highschool drop out, with a baby the 'sisters' taught her what she needed to know to raise a child.

lisa

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

and two, they had hardly read the Bible, were not really aware of what their own religions taught, and found that the witnesses seemed to have all the answers.

My experience exactly. I was 15 years old when I first got involved with JWs, so I had very little experience in dealing with such a sophisticated group. They seemed so intelligent. The answers they gave made more sense that what I had heard from other religions. Thus, they were able to persuade me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, you don't get to research it with independent sources. This is becoming less of a problem in developed countries, with the Internet allowing quick research, but is still a problem in Nigeria and other third world countries, and was a big problem before about 1997. This allows them to scam people into becoming witlesses, with nothing to cross-reference it with.

They also do not present all the facts before you have committed. They make promises and then break them. Sometimes they make it look like a lot of fun--and, when you add what they do with all the things you recently used to do, it can be a nice change. What they will not tell you is that it replaces, not supplementing, what you used to do. That Washtowel Trivia game seems fun the first time you ever try it, but it gets stale after a short time. And, it can be exciting to travel, if you have never experienced how boring and blah a Grand Boasting Session is (usually, the first one is not all that boring because you are going through it for the first time--it is subsequent ones that become boring).

Pride, self righteousness, and being threatened with death and destruction also factor in. Some are seeking control and power (those will stay in even if exposed to apostate material); others, seeking the truth, will think this is it only to learn that it is not when something in the washtowel blatantly contradicts the Bible and/or common sense or they see it on an apostate Web site.

• snowbird
    snowbird

What drew you?

The "wholesome," structured family environment - something I totally lacked as a child.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    For those who joined as adults

Pardon me for harboring doubts regarding the intelligence or sanity of these.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was 19, driftless, disillusioned, and impressionable.

The JW's seemed to have the complete package.

Had nothing to do with sanity or intelligence.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit