A friend of mine does not have a computer

by asilentone 14 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

He cannot afford it, can he use the internet via TV????? He is in USA.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Let him check Craigslist. And local charities. I am certain he can get a used machine for free.

• musky
    musky

The local library is a good source

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I too have a friend who is a troglodyte. I value his skill at hunting and gathering while I surf the Web. His skill with a rabbit stick and an atlatl is nothing short of amazing. He refuses to save money by switching to GEICO.

But seriously, folks... Microsoft used to have a product called WebTV that got worse and worse and worse because billions of people didn't buy it. It is a very "dumbed down" way to get on the internet for email. That's about it. It has NO storage - no hard drive or USB ports to which an external drive could be connected. It cannot run any Java ap because MS hates Java since Java isn't C#. It can't do You tube or Google video.

It won't even fertilize a garden. Fortunately, it WILL burn, so in an end-of-the-world scenario it might have some utility.

• John Doe
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

To get on the internet a person must have an internet service provider (ISP). Pay someone to let you connect to the internet.

Whether that is through a phone connection, a cable or satelite doesn't matter but he will still have to pay an ISP to let him have access

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Computer prices have come down a lot in recent years. I hate to say it but if he can't afford a low end or used computer, then he probably can't afford the monthly fee for internet access. I suggest using a library.

W

• John Doe
    John Doe

Last I checked, you can get dial up for $6 a month. Not that anyone likes dial up, but it's better than nothing. Also, if he has close neighbors, one of them probably has wireless. He could barter with them for a password to use their wireless.

• John Doe
    John Doe

About libraries, they have significant limitations. Most of them stipulate they are to be used for research purposes only--no discussion forums or email. Secondly, most have time limitations. At mine, you have 15 minutes a day.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There are internet cafes everywhere. Here we also have community centers where you can use their computers. I got into my email and onto JWD just fine. I doubt it would do chat rooms though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit