Yet Another Putdown of Women! – KM March 2015

by SAHS 32 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS

This week’s service meeting part (week starting March 23, 2015) in the Our Kingdom Ministry under the heading “Meetings for Field Service That Accomplish

Their Purpose” includes a little sub-article entitled “When a Sister Must Conduct.” The direct link is: “http://www.jw.org/en/publications/kingdom-ministry/” – click the little document download button under the one labeled “km15 03-E Us” and then choose a format (PDF looks best).

Here is that little part about women directly pasted below, in which I have highlighted in yellow the most pertinent parts:

When a Sister Must Conduct

A sister should wear a head covering and would normally be seated when conducting a meeting for field service. What she chooses to discuss would be similar to what a brother would consider. While she should avoid giving the appearance of instructing those in attendance, she may initiate a group discussion. If she invites another baptized sister to say the prayer, that sister should also wear a head covering. If a baptized brother joins the meeting after it has started, the sister would normally invite him to finish the meeting. The service overseer should try to anticipate unusual situations and give appropriate instructions so as to minimize awkwardness. For example, a very young, perhaps preteen, baptized brother might attend when a sister is assigned to conduct, but the elders feel that he is not yet qualified to conduct the meeting. In such a case, the service overseer can inform those involved that the assigned sister should conduct the meeting, but the brother should say the prayer if the elders feel that he is qualified. Or perhaps there is an adult brother who is restricted from conducting the meeting or offering congregation prayer for reasons known by the elders. Without revealing confidential information, the elders should let the assigned sisters know that they should conduct and pray even if he is in attendance. The elders might also let the brother know which days sisters are scheduled to conduct the meetings for field service.

Now, we have all heard about the head covering thing for sisters in those rare instances when they absolutely have to take the field service group because no baptized brothers are around. There is nothing new with that – except, I don’t recall ever reading a directive from the Watchtower organization that in that situation where a sister has to conduct the group, she has to not only wear a head covering but also she has to remain “seated.” So, she would have to remain seated even if offering prayer for the group.

As well, “she should avoid giving the appearance of instructing those in attendance” . . . . um, isn’t the whole idea of taking, or conducting, the field service group to “instruct” those attending, to organize them into partners, car groups, and territories? If whoever is conducting the group isn’t supposed to appear to be “instructing” and making necessary practical working arrangements for field service, then what the hell are they there for? I’m sorry, but that just doesn’t make any sense to me. Either you’re doing the job of conducting/organizing or you’re not.

Further, “if a baptized brother joins the meeting after it has started, the sister would normally invite him to finish the meeting.” After it’s already started? The Watchtower organization can’t even allow a woman the basic respect and dignity to at least finish conducting the group if a baptized testicle-carrying member arrives partway through? Really?

“The service overseer should try to anticipate unusual situations and give appropriate instructions so as to minimize awkwardness.” Awkwardness? So, it’s really that much of an “unusual” and “awkward” situation for a woman (female) to conduct a little field service group? The governing body must really feel uncomfortable about the very thought of a woman (female) having to do anything in the congregation. (But, of course, cleaning those toilets and washing those floors and sinks is always most welcome for those apparently lowly women. I guess that’s their real place, at least according to those seven grumpy old men at the big conference table in New York. Lucky them.) “The elders might also let the brother know which days sisters are scheduled to conduct the meetings for field service.” Oh, yes. We wouldn’t want any of that awful “awkwardness” arising from one of those “unusual situations,” now would we?

The more that little blurb in this week’s Our Kingdom Ministry can get shown around to people in general in the “world,” the more people will be able to see just exactly what they would be in for if they were to join, and thus be able to make a more informed, and hopefully intelligent, decision just in case they ever got any ideas about membership. Copies should really be sent to women’s rights groups, or even just human rights associations. It’s ridiculous and nonsensical little things like this that will surely prevent any more growth of the Watchtower “religion” in any progressive parts of the world and be the purging of more and more of the current membership out the door. What a stupid, quirky, medieval outfit!

• sir82
    sir82

Yeesh. Arcane nit-picking rule upon arcane nit-picking rule.

And these guys criticize the Jews for following the Talmud?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I'm now to the point that I am loving that they are continually printing this crap. The audacity and incredible gall really is a sight to behold. It will also cause women who may be on the fence, to finally up and leave this farce of a religion. (AKA, it's a cult!)

Keep printing this crap JW.borg. Your own words and actions condemn you as the Neo-Pharisees that you are.

• millie210
    millie210

"So without revealing confidential information, the elders should let the assigned sisters know that they should conduct and pray even if he is in attendance"

Oh, like thats not revealing in and of itself?

Such stupidity.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

20 plus years ago during my first stretch of pioneering, I was assigned on the board by the elders to conduct 3 specific days per week. No brother was ever out and they wanted to be sure we were prepared and had proper head coverings ( not the paper towel from the bathroom that some had resorted to lol) I'll never forget the time my good friend who was reproved at the time came in late and to his embarrassment I said "oh, a brother is here!!" and went to move as he tried to discreetly wave for me to ignore him. I only remembered his predicament as I was making the broadcast. All it did was embarrass everyone in attendance and I was quite capable at handling the group.

Even years later during stretch #2, I was the only "sister" to receive her own special territory for the big "religions end near" to organize each day because I always got it done.

I think my strong, independent attitude while I was in has kept them at bay for the last 4 years I have been out. I even stood right behind one of the elders that is quite the arrogant person in line at the pharmacy a few weeks ago. He was always competing with me for some reason because I had a nicer home than he and he didn't like that. He looked right through me. My daughter and I had quite a laugh over that one!!

Women as a second class citizen was a rule I always fought one way or another lol. So far it has served me well :)

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Some of the second class sisters could run circles around the Elders. Smarter and make more money. They can't stand the sisters that won't take their crap.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    SAHS:“The service overseer should try to anticipate unusual situations and give appropriate instructions so as to minimize awkwardness.” Awkwardness? So, it’s really that much of an “unusual” and “awkward” situation for a woman (female) to conduct a little field service group?

SAHS, I believe you can find the reason for that awkwardness a bit farther down in the directive.

Or perhaps there is an adult brother who is restricted from conducting the meeting or offering congregation prayer for reasons known by the elders. Without revealing confidential information, the elders should let the assigned sisters know that they should conduct and pray even if he is in attendance.

The directive is laying out the procedure for what to do if "an adult brother who is restricted from conducting the meeting or offering congregation prayer" is in attendance.

And why would he be restricted? Well, it would be for "reasons known by the elders".

And would the sister conducting know what that brother had done so she could assign him to an appropriate group? Hell no. "Without revealing confidential information, the elders should let the assigned sisters know that they should conduct and pray even if he is in attendance."

And how will that brother who is on restrictions be spared the embarrassment of attending and having to have a woman pray for him? Well, that's simple. “The elders might also let the brother know which days sisters are scheduled to conduct the meetings for field service.”

And there you have it - how women are to be kept in the dark about a rapist/pedophile in the field service group.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Um, let's review: It's a cult!

• flipper
    flipper
    This is just insanity with the old patriarchal bat-$hit crazy view of women. It's ridiculous. WT leaders are so weird
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

So the black leather body suit and whip are ok as long as you wear a hat?

Cat woman ears would work nicely - 😇

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit