Has the Watchtower ever admitted making a mistake?

by moomanchu 26 Replies latest jw friends

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

With all their flip flops, errors and changes, do you know of any printed admission of mistakes made ?

Have they ever apologized for wrong doctrine?

I think it's because of too much pride.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I have never seen it in my life time. They just try to make the rank and file feel that they misread or mistook what they sad.

Like now the 1975 date at the last DC this summer they tried to make out that the friends are the ones who said it but it was never said though the mags or by the GB. I was a kid and I totally remember it. Total lie to say they did not make you feel like the system would end then. They are very careful what they put in writing though. They just say it out loud in talks and such. But with out it written it is easy for them to go back on what they said.

They will never admit to making a mistake never.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

They won't admit mistakes, rather, just say they now have 'new light'....

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

hee hee a new light. - I suppose its a great analogy, because we all have to change our bulbs now and then.

I wonder why the witnesses havent used that as an illustration yet? - I bet someone has somewhere.

shh dont tell them though, there will be no living with them x

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"Like now the 1975 date at the last DC this summer they tried to make out that the friends are the ones who said it but it was never said though the mags or by the GB."

I believe the Wt made a vague kinda, sorta apology regarding 1975 (in print) about 4 years later. It may have been motivated by the fact the number of publishers was declining a bit since 1975.

• stillin
    stillin

on a down-home personal level, I have been maligned by the Society. I have attempted to set the record straight, complete with testimony. But no. No change. Too self righteous.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I was offered to read a book published by the WTB, that explained past 'errors' and the history of the JW's (a book on newlight?).... this I feel was a 'last ditch attempt' to keep me studying with them after I 'resigned from any further association' with the org.... I declined to read it...

I was never told the title but Iam sure someone on here must know which book this is!!! anyone???

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I believe the Wt made a vague kinda, sorta apology regarding 1975 (in print) about 4 years later. It may have been motivated by the fact the number of publishers was declining a bit since 1975.

Yes I remember this they said even some of the Bethel higher ups made wrong assumptions it fell way short of the GB saying Sorry Brothers we were wrong They can;t admit that they were wrong To do so would mean that God is not directing them or if he is then they are not listening. I believe that Franz in COC said he was the one that was asked to compose this quasi apology

• garyneal
    garyneal

New light and overzealous witnesses. This is how they explain their changes and failed prophecies.

• dozy
    dozy

To Lilith - the book they are referring to is the "Proclaimers" book. It is very much an airbrushed history of JWs which skims over or completely ignores most of the parts of the history that the WTS would wish to keep quiet. For an analysis , see http://www.cftf.com/booklets/proclaimers/

The WTS never admits mistakes , as such. I remember a Bethel brother telling me that the WTS were like the Royal Family - "the word "sorry" isn't in their vocabulary." As they think that they are "God's Channel" , they feel that any apology would be tantamount to apologising on behalf of God. They stand in real contrast to genuine servants of God , such as David , Peter & others , who humbly sought forgiveness on occasions.

The extremely lame apology for 1975 (in the Yearbook of 1980) is the only apology of any sort as such and is well documented in Franz's book. The only other instance of any part of the WTS apologising is the one that Knorr forced out of the Australian branch over helping the war effort during WW2. Cleverly this was framed as being done by the brothers & branch in Australia rather than a collective worldwide apology.

yb83pp.97-98Australia

THEREFORE, that no secret faults may cling to us, we desire herewith, in the presence of Jehovah God and His King Jesus Christ, to confess that during World War II we put forth our hands in various ways to the iniquity of this world at war; we put various properties of God’s consecrated people to what we now realize was a part of the war effort and propaganda, thereby violating the true neutrality of all footstep followers of Christ Jesus who were in the world but not authorized to be part of it. This, as is very evident to us now, has not had Jehovah’s blessing. It has brought reproach and misunderstanding with respect to his name and cause, and has troubled and weakened the brethren. We do not wish to shift the blame for this course of conduct upon any particular one or ones, but wish humbly to confess to a common responsibility for this matter here in Australia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit