Practice of JW concerning Facial Hair

by Reborn2002 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Im relatively new to the board, but I wanted other people's opinions.

Growing up in "The Organization" I pretty much blindly adhered to all instruction as a teenager.

As I got a little older, as most here Im sure, I began to see how some practices were imposed on the flock without any Biblical backing.

One that bugged the living hell out of me was the restriction of being allowed to grow facial hair.

I was literally removed from carrying the mics and reading at BookStudy because my sideburns were too long and I wanted to grow a goatee, hence I often showed up with stubble.

I was taken to the back room and told I was being "too worldly." When I questioned the Elders why it was unallowed by the Society and that I wanted Scriptural evidence and backing for their imposed regulations, I was scoffed at and told I should do as I am told.

I told them where they could stick their "priviledges"

Any similar experiences of comments?

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• LDH
    LDH

Ha ha, Welcome, Reborn.

Do a 'search' on beards, or facial hair, I'm sure you will find all of your long lost Brethren!

You may also want to look in the Personal Experiences Forum.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I really came down hard on a circuit overseer who lectured an assembly for 20 minutes on beards. There was one beard in the audience, a lovely brother from our KH. I told him that in my letter too. I had the approval of two elders for that letter, and they signed it too. (one elder was my husband, and the other was the brother of the man with the beard) He called and apologized to me, my husband and to the brother, and said he had been out of line. I almost fainted.

My argument? Didn't all of the Bible writers have beards?? I also said that I thought if he felt the brother needed to be counseled, he should have done it privately instead of in front of 800 people. He still has the beard today..........of course he is no longer a witness either.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Wow Mulan, I almost fainted too! I've never heard of a witness higher than a MS apologizing for any wrong.

The elders and CO in my case basically agreed that the party line is flawed, that indeed they could have dealt with me in a more christian way, etc., but that I would shave my beard if I really had any humility and love for Jehovah, lol.

IOW, even when we're wrong, we're right.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: One that bugged the living hell out of me was the restriction of being allowed to grow facial hair.

This issue is really simple:

1) God created man
    2) God gave man (and Greek women) facial hair
    3) The Watchtower Printing Corporation says that wearing facial hair is wrong
    4) Therefore, God is wrong

End of logic.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

farkel - is it really just greek women that have facial hair ?

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

The day I left military service I grew a beard and only shaved it off for a week just before my baptismal questions started. When it started to grow back and I was asked I just responded with that I felt like such a complete hypocrite that I am growing it back. The pic of me at the baptism showes me with a full beard! Not one person ever mentioned it to me. Maybe my being bald on top though caused some sort of "compassion" to come up in their hearts? ROFLMAO

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

I think beards are absolutely unscriptural and are born of Satan. That's why I grew one!

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• Bang
    Bang

No one should complain about the beard thing. It's one way I can tell who the nonJWs are. I mean, my communications might involve something I don't want to be lied to about.

Let them separate themselves, in fact, make sure they do.

Bang

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

I was told my hair was getting too long on several occasions.
    So I went through it scripturally, pointing out thatthe Society's publications say that the scriptures should be interpretec as "too long for your area/generation".

Who was right, I don't know in the end, but I remember becoming so pissed off with one dickhead for his comments that I let it grow long enough he wouldn't work with me on the ministry.

I think that was long enough for the fringe to reach my eyebrows :P

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit