My understanding of the "70 Years" and the "Babylonian Exile" (without chronology)

by Doug Mason 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Lars: "What's the purpose of Christ arriving at the 70th week if it is the64th week?"

Um, if this is what you're talking about, you better brush up on Daniel some more. Christ didn't arrive at the 70th week...

(Daniel 9:24-26) 24 “There are seventy weeks that have been determined upon your people and upon your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, and to finish off sin, and to make atonement for error, and to bring in righteousness for times indefinite, and to imprint a seal upon vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 And you should know and have the insight [that] from the going forth of [the] word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes?si′ah [the] Leader, there will be seven weeks, also sixty-two weeks. She will return and be actually rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in the straits of the times.
    26 “And after the sixty-two weeks Mes?si′ah will be cut off, with nothing for himself.

Can ya do the math?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Lars, you are completely wrong on this. And your analysis is superficial. 70 years is precise.

http://144000.110mb.com/607/index.html

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

http://144000.110mb.com/607/i-2.html

D. Servitude

“… and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years.” Jeremiah 25:11
    Quite frankly, it is unclear exactly what the Watchtower Society’s interpretation of Jeremiah 25:11 is today since it appears to have undergone significant modification from earlier times. The Society’s founder Charles Taze Russell who, in The Time Is At Hand (Studies in the Scriptures, Series 2, 1912 edition), p. 52, argued that the seventy years of serving the king of Babylon only referred to seventy years of desolation of the land and not seventy years of captivity, exile and servitude.

“ Usher dates the seventy years desolation eighteen years earlier than shown above—i.e., before the dethronement of Zedekiah, Judah’s last king—because the king of Babylon took many of the people captive at that time. (2 Chron. 36:9, 10, 17, 21; 2 Kings 24:8-16.) He evidently makes the not uncommon mistake of regarding those seventy years as the period of captivity, whereas the Lord expressly declares them to be seventy years of desolation of the land, that the land should lie “desolate, without an inhabitant.” Such was not the case prior to Zedekiah’s dethronement. (2 Kings 24:14.) But the desolation which followed Zedekiah’s overthrow was complete; for, though some of the poor of the land were left to be vine-dressers and husbandmen (2 Kings 25:12), shortly even these—“all people, both small and great”—fled to Egypt for fear of the Chaldees. (Verse 26.) There can be no doubt here; and therefore in reckoning the time to the desolation of the land, all periods up to the close of Zedekiah’s reign should be counted in, as we have done.”

Russell’s strained rendering of Jeremiah 25:11 whereby the prophetic phrase “… and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years” does not apply to anyone actually serving the king of Babylon has evidently been cast aside, as it should have been, for many Jehovah’s Witnesses 607 defenders reject such a narrow interpretation and recognize that the prophecy does entail servitude after all. That is where the bulk of the intellectual debate seems to be taking place, and where the authors of Setting the Record Straight have taken a strong, though misguided, stand.

In all fairness to Jehovah’s Witnesses, seventy-year theories abound. All such theories, except one, have the difficult, if not impossible, task of fitting the seventy years into a workable framework or slot. These flawed theories fail because they generally fall short of seventy years, or exceed it. In the case of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, they both fall short and exceed seventy years and thus fail at both ends of the chronological spectrum with respect to devastation and servitude.

This paper takes the position that although it is helpful to understand when “these nations” (not only Judah) began to serve the king of Babylon it does so in order to establish the beginning of the Babylonian Empire as it relates to Jeremiah 25:11, which was 609 B.C.E., because the only acceptable and workable seventy year theory is the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory. It is a very simple and straightforward concept. The seventy years began in 609 B.C.E. when the king of Babylon brought to an end the Assyrian Empire at the final battle of Haran; it ended seventy years later in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon fell to the Persians and Medes. During this seventy year period the affected nations of the earth collectively served, and were dominated by, the Babylonian Empire.

With this in mind it is important to understand why this paper argues that the Jews began serving the king of Babylon long before Jerusalem’s destruction - it is to prove that the Jehovah’s Witnesses' theory fails because it exceeds seventy years under their interpretation, although the exact number of those excessive years of servitude is not important. It is not necessary to prove a full seventy years of Jewish servitude to Babylon either as vassals or captive exiles because that is not required to disprove the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ 607 theory. As a matter of fact, proving that Judah’s Jews served Babylon a full seventy years is irrelevant under the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory, a concept difficult for many people to grasp.

Equally important is the year in which the seventy year prophecy ended, namely 539 B.C.E., when Babylon fell to the Persians and Medes, and not upon the Jews' return to Judah. The Scriptural basis for this conclusion is also solid - reasonable minds cannot draw any other conclusion. And because the seventy year period of servitude ended in October of 539 B.C.E., and not as Jehovah’s Witnesses claim in 537 B.C.E. upon the exiles’ return to Judah, their theory fails at this end of the chronological spectrum as well. It bears repeating - the date the nations’ seventy years of servitude ended in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon fell is an extremely important point to remember because Jerusalem could not have been destroyed in 607 B.C.E. since that amounts to 68 - 69 years only, a fatal shortfall of one or two years.

E. The seventy year prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 did not apply to Jerusalem and Judah alone but to all nations which fell under the domination of the Babylonian Empire. These nations, as a unit, comprising theBabylonian Empire collectively, served the king(s) of Babylon seventy years.

The meaning and scope of Jeremiah 25:11 can only be understood in the context of other highly relevant verses of chapter 25 and elsewhere. Regrettably, much of the Jehovah’s Witnesses' confusion stems in large part from excising, or separating, Jeremiah 25:11 from other pertinent verses and presenting it in isolation. The Jehovah's Witnesses’ truncated rendering of Jeremiah 25:11 is just one part of the prophecy and greatly mischaracterizes the sweeping scope of foretold events since the seventy years of servitude was unquestionably directed to all nations that eventually came under the domination of the Babylonian Empire, and not merely the Jews of Judah. For the sake of clarity and to better understand the reach of Jeremiah 25:11 additional integral verses 8 - 29 are reproduced in their entirety:

8 “Therefore this is what Jehovah of armies has said, ‘“For the reason that YOU did not obey my words, 9 here I am sending and I will take all the families of the north,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even [sending] to Neb·u·chad·rez´zar the king of Babylon, my servant, and I will bring them against this land and against its inhabitants and against all these nations round about; and I will devote them to destruction and make them an object of astonishment and something to whistle at and places devastated to time indefinite. 10 And I will destroy out of them the sound of exultation and the sound of rejoicing, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the sound of the hand mill and the light of the lamp. 11 And all this land must become a devastated place, an object of astonishment, and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years.”’

12 “‘And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘their error, even against the land of the Chal·de´ans, and I will make it desolate wastes to time indefinite. 13 And I will bring in upon that land all my words that I have spoken against it, even all that is written in this book that Jeremiah has prophesied against all the nations. 14 For even they themselves, many nations and great kings, have exploited them as servants; and I will repay them according to their activity and according to the work of their hands.’”

15 For this is what Jehovah the God of Israel said to me: “Take this cup of the wine of rage out of my hand, and you must make all the nations to whom I am sending you drink it. 16 And they must drink and shake back and forth and act like crazed men because of the sword that I am sending among them.”

17 And I proceeded to take the cup out of the hand of Jehovah and to make all the nations drink to whom Jehovah had sent me: 18 namely, Jerusalem and the cities of Judah and her kings, her princes, to make them a devastated place, an object of astonishment, something to whistle at and a malediction, just as at this day; 19 Phar´aoh the king of Egypt and his servants and his princes and all his people; 20 and all the mixed company, and all the kings of the land of Uz, and all the kings of the land of the Phi·lis´tines and Ash´ke·lon and Ga´za and Ek´ron and the remnant of Ash´dod; 21 E´dom and Mo´ab and the sons of Am´mon; 22 and all the kings of Tyre and all the kings of Si´don and the kings of the island that is in the region of the sea; 23 and De´dan and Te´ma and Buz and all those with hair clipped at the temples; 24 and all the kings of the Arabs and all the kings of the mixed company who are residing in the wilderness; 25 and all the kings of Zim´ri and all the kings of E´lam and all the kings of the Medes; 26 and all the kings of the north who are near and far away, one after the other, and all the [other] kingdoms of the earth that are on the surface of the ground; and the king of She´shach himself will drink after them.

27 “And you must say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: “Drink and get drunk and puke and fall so that YOU cannot get up because of the sword that I am sending among YOU.”’ 28 And it must occur that in case they refuse to take the cup out of your hand to drink, you must also say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies has said: “YOU will drink without fail. 29 For, look! it is upon the city upon which my name is called that I am starting off in bringing calamity, and should YOU yourselves in any way go free of punishment?”’

“‘ YOU will not go free of punishment, for there is a sword that I am calling against all the inhabitants of the earth,’ is the utterance of Jehovah of armies.

Obviously, the Jehovah’s Witnesses left much out, no doubt an inadvertent oversight. Nonetheless, the following observations are in order. First, Jeremiah’s prophetic words in verse 13 were directed “against all the nations” and not just Judah.

“ And I will bring in upon that land all my words that I have spoken against it, even all that is written in this book that Jeremiah has prophesied against all the nations.”

Secondly, service to the king of Babylon was not limited to Judah because Jeremiah used the plural “these nations” at Jeremiah 25:11. Third, verse 9 dictates a broader reading because Jehovah was going to send Nebuchadnezzar “… against this land and against its inhabitants and against all these nations round about …” not only against Judah.

Fourth, to make it perfectly clear which nations Jeremiah directed the prophesies to they are listed in the same chapter at verses 15-26. Jeremiah was instructed to take the cup of the wine of rage out of the Lord’s hand and make all the nations, who would succumb to the Babylonian Empire, drink it. These nations included Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, Egypt, the Medes, and roughly 20 other nations and/or kingdoms, and “all the [other] kingdoms of the earth that are on the surface of the ground; …” Jeremiah 25:15,16. Even though Judah was one of these nations that would serve, or fall, under the dominion of the Babylonian Empire which spanned seventy years from 609 B.C.E. to 539 B.C.E., it was by no means the only nation to whom the seventy year prophecy was directed.

Fifth, additional evidence that Jeremiah 25:11 did not apply only to Judah and Jerusalem is found at Jeremiah 27:6,7, also written during the beginning of Jehoiakim’s reign. There, Jehovah stated in no uncertain terms with respect to nations surrounding and including Judah that he had “given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon” and that “all the nations must serve even him, and his son and his grandson until the time even of his own land comes ….”

1 In the beginning of the kingdom of Je·hoi´a·kim the son of Jo·si´ah, the king of Judah, this word occurred to Jeremiah from Jehovah, saying: 2 “This is what Jehovah has said to me, ‘Make for yourself bands and yoke bars, and you must put them upon your neck. 3 And you must send them to the king of E´dom and to the king of Mo´ab and to the king of the sons of Am´mon and to the king of Tyre and to the king of Si´don by the hand of the messengers who are coming to Jerusalem to Zed·e·ki´ah the king of Judah. 4 And you must give them a command for their masters, saying:

“‘“This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said; this is what YOU should say to YOUR masters, 5 ‘I myself have made the earth, mankind and the beasts that are upon the surface of the earth by my great power and by my stretched-out arm; and I have given it to whom it has proved right in my eyes. 6 And now I myself have given all these lands into the hand of Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon, my servant; and even the wild beasts of the field I have given him to serve him. 7 And all the nations must serve even him and his son and his grandson until the time even of his own land comes, and many nations and great kings must exploit him as a servant.

This statement of Jehovah’s sweeping grant of authority to Nebuchadnezzar, whereby those lands and beasts of the field had been given to serve him, and that all the nations must serve the king of Babylon generally mirrors the prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 and related verses.

Sixth, if Judah alone was to serve the king of Babylon seventy years it would nullify the prophecy with respect to almost every other nation because not all nations would have been able to serve Babylon seventy years. The king of Babylon in 609 B.C.E, Nabopolassar, brought Assyria to its end at the final battle at Haran. If the seventy years of servitude applied to only one nation, it could only apply to the conquered nation Assyria when Haran fell (and any other nations conquered by the Babylonians (Chaldeans) in that year). All other nations could logically only serve less than seventy years, including Judah. If Judah was the only nation to whom the prophecy applied, and it applied only to Judah and Jerusalem commencing with their destruction in the 18th year of Nebuchadnezzar’s reign, all other nations conquered by Nebuchadnezzar in the preceding 18 years would have served Babylon in excess of seventy years, and those conquered after Jerusalem and Judah fell would have served less than seventy years. Such an interpretation would nullify Jehovah’s word which directed the prophecy to all the nations and which could only be satisfied if the seventy year period of servitude was a composite, an epoch of time that applied collectively to all conquered or dominated nations as a whole. A parallel can be drawn with the military campaingn of Hitler's Third Reich which spanned six years between 1939 and 1945, even though not all of the nations conquered by the Nazis fell under its domination the entire six year period. Checkoslovakia was under Hitler's domination longer than France.

Seventh, if Jerusalem and Judah as one nation among “these nations” served seventy years, history, even according to the Jehovah’s Witnesses would be turned on its head because it would imply that Babylon conquered no other nations before destroying Jerusalem and Judah; that is, Jerusalem and Judah would have to be the first to succumb to the Babylonian expansion in Nebuchadnezzar’s 18th year as king. The implication would be that Nebuchadnezzar conquered no other nations during his first 18 years as king, but that simply is not the case.

Eighth, sometimes the phrase “king of Babylon” refers to the kings of Babylon as a whole or whoever the king might have been at any particular time without specifically identifying him by name. Such is the case with respect to the prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 whereby Judah and the nations of the earth would serve the king of Babylon seventy years. Service to this king however was not limited to Nebuchadnezzar or even his son or grandson as stated at Jeremiah 27:7 but includes Nebuchadnezzar's father Nabopolassar who finished off Assyria in 609 B.C.E., and other kings besides Nebuchadnezzar’s blood relatives.

"And all the nations must serve even him and his son and his grandson until the time even of his own land comes, and many nations and great kings must exploit him as a servant." Jeremiah 27:7.

This is not an all-encompassing list of the kings of Babylon which the nations served seventy years. Even 607 defenders in Setting the Record Straight are of the same view:

In fulfillment of Jeremiah 27:7, the exiled Jews did in fact literally serve Nebuchadnezzar’s son (Evilmerodach) and Nebuchadnezzar’s grandson (co-regent Belshazzer, whose mother was reportedly Nebuchadnezzar’s daughter, Nitocris). However, the captive Jews also served other kings of Babylon, including Neriglissar, Labashi-Marduk and Nabonidus, none of whom bore any blood relation to Nebuchadnezzar. Thus,the words at Jeremiah 27:7, though indisputably true, were obviously not meant to be an all-encompassing list of rulers whom the Jews would serve during the seventy years.

As mentioned, to this more encompassing list should be added another king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar’s father Nabopolassar whose final destruction of his nemesis Assyria at Haran in 609 B.C.E. gave rise to the Babylonian Empire and the commencement of the seventy years of servitude. Servitude began with Nebuchadnezzar’s father Nabopolassar and ended with the death of Belshazzer in 539 B.C.E. In accord with the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory the nations of the earth collectively served the many kings of Babylon from 609 B.C.E. to 539 B.C.E. for a total of seventy years in fulfillment of the prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11.

Ninth, in chapter 25 of the book of Jeremiah, with respect to Judah and Jerusalem, Jeremiah foretold what lay in their future beginning in the first year of Nebuchadnezzar onward. The land of Judah would become a devastated place, an object of astonishment, which it was. However, determining the exact year the devastation began is not necessary because proving a full seventy years of devastation is irrelevant in as much as the seventy years pertained to servitude, not devastation. They are separate concepts.

As explained in detail below, there is no valid “seventy years of devastation” theory and therefore the fact that the Babylonian Empire commenced in 609 B.C.E. - three or four years before Jeremiah delivered the prophecy - is not material. As it pertained to devastation, yes, that lay in Judah’s future, but the seventy year duration of that devastation is a non-issue.

As stated, the many nations which served Babylon a collective seventy years described in Jeremiah 25:11 began to serve in 609 B.C.E. when Assyria was overcome at the final battle of Haran. The fact that Jeremiah said that “these nations will serve the king of Babylon” does not mean the beginning of the full seventy years of servitude was still in the future, which some 607 defenders argue, would disprove the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory. Their confusion stems from an incorrect understanding of the word “will” which they insist only applies to future events, but that is not the case.

“Will” has multiple meanings. It is frequently employed to connote occurrences, conditions, events or actions which do not lie in the future. The dictionary offers numerous examples.

"People will do right. You will not have forgotten him. This will be right. People will talk. You will often see him sitting there. Boys will be boys."

Even though servitude of many nations to Babylon still lay in the future, some nations had already been serving since 609 B.C.E. and the “will” of Jeremiah 25:11 therefore could not be strictly limited to all the nations’ future servitude. Assyria had already been serving when Jeremiah spoke the prophecy, and Necuchadnezzar conquered countries from Hattu to Babylon before he dealt with Judah. Therefore, since nations which were among those listed at Jeremiah 25:17-26, who tasted the cup of Jehovah’s rage, had already been serving when the prophecy was delivered, the “will” of Jeremiah 25:11 referred to past events, conditions or occurrences (servitude) as well as future servitude.

To illustrate further: a man has served five years in prison and believes, mistakenly, that he is scheduled to be released, but the prison warden says “No, you will have to serve ten years.” The warden is not saying he would serve ten more years, but that he would serve five more years in addition to the previous five years. The prisoner will serve the full ten years.

The same reasoning applies to Jeremiah 25:11. “Will have to serve” does not foreclose prior servitude of Assyria and other conquered nations. The seventy years of collective servitude commenced in 609 B.C.E.. This is the only proper rendering which harmonizes comfortably with the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory. “Will” does not always refer to future events, but can include past and current events.

Finally, even if the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory were to be proven wrong, that does not mean Jehovah’s Witnesses are right by default. Their theories must stand or fall on their own merits.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

GOOD JOB, jonathan.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    GOOD JOB, jonathan.

Thanks, here is the next page.

F. The servitude referred to at Jeremiah 25:11 whereby the nations which fell under the domination of the Babylonian Empire would serve the king of Babylon seventy years included a) vassalage, b) willing exile, and/or c) forced captivity and exile.

Before determining whether Judah began serving the king of Babylon at any time prior to the destruction of Jerusalem, or only began to serve upon Jerusalem’s destruction, it is first necessary to understand how Scripture defines the word “serve” or "servitude." Establishing the correct meaning of "servitude" goes a long way toward answering the underlying question of when Judah began its servitude. The Bible provides a straightforward answer which seems to have been lost on the 607 defenders whose failure to mention certain verses, specifically all of Jeremiah 27:11 - which is directly on point - is disturbing to say the least. As mentioned above, Judah’s years of vassalage or exile and captivity before Jerusalem’s destruction does not have to satisfy a full seventy year period under the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory. The commencement of Judah’s vassalage or earlier exile however is relevant to show that the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ version of the seventy years of servitude and captivity exceeds seventy years and therefore fails.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses' viewpoint set forth in Setting the Record Straight is unequivocal. They contend that to “serve” is limited only to those Jews taken captive when Jerusalem was destroyed and Judah desolated and its inhabitants forced into Babylonian exile, and not before. It does not, they claim, apply to Judah and Jerusalem who served as tribute-paying vassals to the king of Babylon at any time, let alone before Jerusalem and Judah were destroyed. And, it does not apply to the very large number of Jews removed into exile at various intervals starting with, at a minimum, the recorded exile under Jehoiachin years prior to Jerusalem’s destruction. But according to Scripture, nothing could be further from the truth. Though a long quote, relevant provisions taken from Setting the Record Straight are set forth here:

Thus, at Jeremiah 27:11, Jehovah could rightly extend favor toward any nation that would bring their necks “under the yoke of the king of Babylon and actually serve him.”

Even in the minds of the false prophets of Zedekiah’s day, it was clear that the inhabitants of Judah were not yet bound by servitude to Babylon:

“ And as for you men, do not listen to your prophets and to your practicers of divination and to your dreamers and to your practicers of magic and to your sorcerers, who are saying to you: “You men willnot serve the king of Babylon.” . . . Even to Zedekiah the king of Judah I spoke according to all thesewords, saying: “Bring your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him and his people and keep on living. Why should you yourself and your people die by the sword, by the faminea nd by the pestilence according to what Jehovah has spoken to the nation that does not serve the king ofB abylon? And do not listen to the words of the prophets that are saying to you men, ‘You will not servet he king of Babylon,’ because falsehood is what they are prophesying to you.”—Jeremiah 27:9, 10, 12- 14.
    So, how exactly was Zedekiah to bring his neck “under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him”? The answer is found at Jeremiah 38:17, 18:
    “ Jeremiah now said to Zedekiah: “This is what Jehovah, the God of armies, the God of Israel, has said,‘ If you will without fail go out to the princes of the king of Babylon, your soul will also certainly keep living and this city itself will not be burned with fire, and you yourself and your household will certainly keep living. But if you will not go out to the princes of the king of Babylon, this city must also be given into the hand of the Chaldeans, and they will actually burn it with fire, and you yourselfwill not escape out of their hand.’”—Jeremiah 38:17, 18.
    Jeremiah 15:2 explains what this voluntary “going out” would require:
    And it must occur that should they say to you, ‘Where shall we go out to?’ you must also say to them,‘ This is what Jehovah has said: . . . whoever is for the captivity, to the captivity!”’—Jeremiah 15:2.
    As long as Jehoiakim, and later, Zedekiah, refused to “go out to the princes of the king of Babylon,” the nation of Judah could not be said to be serving the king of Babylon. Furthermore, Jeremiah 1:1-3 tells us that the prophetic warnings continued right down to the “eleventh year of Zedekiah . . . until Jerusalem went into exile in the fifth month.”

First, with respect to what it means to serve under the yoke of Babylon, the 607 defenders strictly limit the definition to forced captivity. Their misunderstanding stems from the fact that they omit all of Jeremiah 27:10 and 11 which specifically defines what that yoke of servitude is, yet, they include the surrounding verses. Jeremiah 27:11 makes it abundantly clear that the yoke of servitude includes vassalage.

9 “‘“‘And as for YOU men, do not listen to YOUR prophets and to YOUR practicers of divination and to YOUR dreamers and to YOUR practicers of magic and to YOUR sorcerers, who are saying to YOU: “YOU men will not serve the king of Babylon.” 10 For falsehood is what they are prophesying to YOU, for the purpose of having YOU taken far away from off YOUR ground; and I shall have to disperse YOU, and YOU will have to perish.

11 “‘“‘And as for the nation that will bring its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and actually serve him, I will also let it rest upon its ground,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘and it will certainly cultivate it and dwell in it.’”’”

Jehovah offered all nations the option of becoming vassals to the Babylonian Empire and thereby rest upon its ground and cultivate it and dwell in it. It was His preferred alternative to annihilation. The nations, including Judah, could exercise this option and become vassals - which coincidentaly also meant that some would become exiles taken peacefully (relatively speaking) to Babylon, or, they would be conquered by the sword and forcibly removed as captives or become dispersed. Either way, peacefully or by force, the nations, including Judah, would serve Babylon. A careful reading of relevant portions of Chapter 27 clarifies this:

1 In the beginning of the kingdom of Je·hoi´a·kim the son of Jo·si´ah, the king of Judah, this word occurred to Jeremiah from Jehovah, saying: 2 “This is what Jehovah has said to me, ‘Make for yourself bands and yoke bars, and you must put them upon your neck. 3 And you must send them to the king of E´dom and to the king of Mo´ab and to the king of the sons of Am´mon and to the king of Tyre and to the king of Si´don by the hand of the messengers who are coming to Jerusalem to Zed·e·ki´ah the king of Judah. 4 And you must give them a command for their masters, saying:

“‘“This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said; this is what YOU should say to YOUR masters, 5 ‘I myself have made the earth, mankind and the beasts that are upon the surface of the earth by my great power and by my stretched-out arm; and I have given it to whom it has proved right in my eyes. 6 And now I myself have given all these lands into the hand of Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon, my servant; and even the wild beasts of the field I have given him to serve him. 7 And all the nations must serve even him and his son and his grandson until the time even of his own land comes, and many nations and great kings must exploit him as a servant.’

8 “‘“‘And it must occur that the nation and the kingdom that will not serve him, even Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon; and the one that will not put its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, with the sword and with the famine and with the pestilence I shall turn my attention upon that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘until I shall have finished them off by his hand.’

9 “‘“‘And as for YOU men, do not listen to YOUR prophets and to YOUR practicers of divination and to YOUR dreamers and to YOUR practicers of magic and to YOUR sorcerers, who are saying to YOU: “YOU men will not serve the king of Babylon.” 10 For falsehood is what they are prophesying to YOU, for the purpose of having YOU taken far away from off YOUR ground; and I shall have to disperse YOU, and YOU will have to perish.

11 “‘“‘And as for the nation that will bring its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and actually serve him, I will also let it rest upon its ground,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘and it will certainly cultivate it and dwell in it.’”’”

12 Even to Zed·e·ki´ah the king of Judah I spoke according to all these words, saying: “Bring YOUR necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him and his people and keep on living. 13 Why should you yourself and your people die by the sword, by the famine and by the pestilence according to what Jehovah has spoken to the nation that does not serve the king of Babylon? 14 And do not listen to the words of the prophets that are saying to YOU men, ‘YOU will not serve the king of Babylon,’ because falsehood is what they are prophesying to YOU.

15 “‘For I have not sent them,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘but they are prophesying in my name falsely, to the end that I shall disperse YOU, and YOU will have to perish, YOU men and the prophets that are prophesying to YOU.’”

16 And to the priests and to all this people I spoke, saying: “This is what Jehovah has said, ‘Do not listen to the words of YOUR prophets that are prophesying to YOU, saying: “Look! The utensils of the house of Jehovah are being brought back from Babylon soon now!” For falsehood is what they are prophesying to YOU. 17 Do not listen to them. Serve the king of Babylon and keep on living. Why should this city become a devastated place?

Secondly, because serving under the yoke of Babylon included vassalage, Judah began serving the king of Babylon in that capacity years before Jerusalem’s fall, beginning at a minimum in the eighth year of Jehoiakim’s reign.

"In his days Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up, and so Jehoiakim became his servant for three years." 2 Kings 1:1.

After three years as a vassal Jehoiakim rebelled, and Nebuchadnezzar came up against him, removed to Babylon utensils from the house of Jehovah and according to a literal translation in the Interlinear Bible, “bound him in bronze fetters to take him away to Babylon.” (2 Chronicles 36:5-7). The point is, because Judah's Jews began serving the king of Babylon as vassals at least by Jehoiakim’s eighth year, the Jehovah’s Witnesses' theory fails because it actually amounts to at least 80+ years of servitude even assuming their seventy year period of servitude ended upon the Jews' return to Judah in 537 B.C.E., which it did not.

Third, the 607 defenders in Setting the Record Straight also omitted Jeremiah 29:10 where it was made clear that destruction and captivity was not Jehovah’s preferred method of punishing his people, but a consequence of not submitting as vassals; ie., they would suffer the sword, the famine, pestilence and captivity. Verse 10 also makes it clear that false prophets who pacified the populace by stating they would not serve Babylon did so for the purpose of having Judah destroyed and the people removed from off the ground. Jehovah’s desire on the other hand was for Judah to serve as vassals; he did not “purpose,” as did the false prophets, that his people perish by the plague, sword, famine and captivity.

Fourth, even Jeremiah and the false prophet Hananiah believed that the exiles numbering in excess of ten thousand and removed to Babylon during the reign of Jehoiachin served under the yoke of Babylon years before Jerusalem was destroyed. Jeremiah described the mass exodus as follows:

"And he took into exile all Jerusalem and all the princes and all the valiant, mighty men - ten thousand he was taking into exile - and also every craftsman and builder of bulwarks. No one had been left behind except the lowly class of the people of the land. Thus he took Jehoiachin into exile to Babylon; and the king's mother and the king's wives and his court officials and the foremost men of the land he led away as exiled people from Jerusalem to Babylon." 2 Kings 24:14, 15.

The 607 defenders in Setting the Record Straight argue that none of these exiles, including craftsmen and artisans, peacefully removed from off their soil served the king of Babylon in accordance with the seventy year prophecy of Jeremiah 25:11. Furthermore, they contend that the false prophets of Zedekiah’s time, years later, did not believe that any Jews had begun to serve Babylon even though all of Jerusalem was exiled during the previous king Jehoiachin’s reign. They argue that the yoke of servitude lay in the future. Scripture proves otherwise. The answer can be found in large part in chapter 28 of the book of Jeremiah, likewise omitted by the 607 defenders.

1 Then it came about in that year, in the beginning of the kingdom of Zed·e·ki´ah the king of Judah, in the fourth year, in the fifth month, that Han·a·ni´ah the son of Az´zur, the prophet who was from Gib´e·on, said to me in the house of Jehovah before the eyes of the priests and of all the people: 2 “This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said, ‘I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon. 3 Within two full years more I am bringing back to this place all the utensils of the house of Jehovah that Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon took from this place that he might bring them to Babylon.’” 4 “‘And Jec·o·ni´ah the son of Je·hoi´a·kim, the king of Judah, and all the exiles of Judah who have come to Babylon I am bringing back to this place,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘for I shall break the yoke of the king of Babylon.’”

5 And Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to say to Han·a·ni´ah the prophet before the eyes of the priests and before the eyes of all the people who were standing in the house of Jehovah; 6 yes, Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to say: “Amen! Thus may Jehovah do! May Jehovah establish your words that you have prophesied by bringing back the utensils of the house of Jehovah and all the exiled people from Babylon to this place! 7 However, hear, please, this word that I am speaking in your ears and in the ears of all the people. 8 As regards the prophets that happened to be prior to me and prior to you from long ago, they also used to prophesy concerning many lands and concerning great kingdoms, of war and of calamity and of pestilence. 9 As regards the prophet that prophesies of peace, when the word of the prophet comes true the prophet whom Jehovah has sent in truth will become known.”

10 At that Han·a·ni´ah the prophet took the yoke bar from off the neck of Jeremiah the prophet and broke it. 11 And Han·a·ni´ah went on to say before the eyes of all the people: “This is what Jehovah has said, ‘Just like this I shall break the yoke of Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon within two full years more from off the neck of all the nations.’” And Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to go his way.

12 Then the word of Jehovah occurred to Jeremiah, after Han·a·ni´ah the prophet had broken the yoke bar from off the neck of Jeremiah the prophet, saying: 13 “Go, and you must say to Han·a·ni´ah, ‘This is what Jehovah has said: “Yoke bars of wood you have broken, and instead of them you will have to make yoke bars of iron.”

14 For this is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: “A yoke of iron I will (have) put upon the neck of all these nations, to serve Neb·u·chad·nez´zar the king of Babylon; and they must serve him. And even the wild beasts of the field I will give him.”’”

15 And Jeremiah the prophet went on to say to Han·a·ni´ah the prophet: “Listen, please, O Han·a·ni´ah! Jehovah has not sent you, but you yourself have caused this people to trust in a falsehood. 16 Therefore this is what Jehovah has said, ‘Look! I am sending you away from off the surface of the ground. This year you yourself must die, for you have spoken outright revolt against Jehovah.’”

17 So Han·a·ni´ah the prophet died in that year, in the seventh month. (Parenthetical added).

The 607 defenders are entirely correct in stating that the yoke of servitude includes “captivity.” Where they have gone astray in their understanding is limiting it to “forced” captivity applicable to only those removed at Jerusalem’s destruction when chapter 28 makes it very clear that it applies to captives peacefully removed as well; they are the basket of “good figs” referenced in chapter 24.

Chapter 28 chronicles the acrimonious dual between Jeremiah and Hananiah over the current and future status of Jews already serving in exile under the Babylonian yoke in the fourth year of the kingdom of Zedekiah, in addition to all other nations who were serving and would continue to serve under the yoke of the Babylonian king. Hananiah falsely prophesied that Jehovah said that he would break the yoke of the king of Babylon and within two years bring back the utensils of the house of Jehovah which Nebuchadnezzar had carted off, and return the many thousands of exiles removed to Babylon. Hananiah went on to claim that Jehovah would within two full years more break the yoke from off the neck of all the nations. And to make his point, Hananiah took the symbolic wooden yoke off the neck of Jeremiah and broke it.

Please note that Jeremiah never disagreed that the exiles were serving under the yoke of Babylon and he wholeheartedly embraced the idea that the utensils should be returned. But he vehemently disagreed that the yoke of servitude on exiled Judah or all the other nations would be broken. Rather, the wooden yoke would become in reality a much more onerous yoke of iron which would saddle the Jews for years to come, which it did.

A significant point of departure exists in verse 14 of the Jehovah’s Witnesses' bible the New World Translation which attempts to push the yoke of servitude into the future by stating that Jehovah “will” put a yoke of iron on the neck of all these nations. A literal translation of that same verse in the Interlinear Bible uses the past tense: “I have put a yoke of iron on the neck of all these nations.”

The difference is very important; “have” instead of “will” completely undermines the Jehovah's Witnesses’ position that the yoke of servitude was a future event, but a simple unbiased reading of chapter 28 shows that Judah had already been serving under Babylon’s yoke. Jeremiah said that instead of a wooden yoke there is an iron yoke, indicating an increase in the intensity and length of servitude which had been ongoing, and which in fact happened when Jerusalem and Judah were destroyed and the remaining nations also fell to Babylon. Jeremiah never stated, and it cannot be implied, that Judah had not been serving under the Babylonian yoke or that a yoke would rest on the neck of Judah for the first time beginning with Jerusalem’s destruction even though all of Jerusalem had already been taken into exile under Jehoiachin.

Do not be distracted by the fact that Hananiah was a false prophet. His falsehood dealt specifically with whether or not the yoke of servitude would be broken off the exiles and the nations, not whether they were serving under the yoke in the first place. Jeremiah and Hananiah were in accord in this regard.

Hananiah, being a false prophet, had deceived the people and caused them to trust in falsehood and lies. By building a foundation of trust, he, and other false prophets, were able to sell the lie for the truth, the falsehood being what the people wanted to hear.

Fifth, the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ statement therefore in Setting the Record Straight that “Even in the minds of the false prophets of Zedekiah’s day, it was clear that the inhabitants of Judah were not yet bound by servitude to Babylon” is manifestly false and a gross mischaracterization of the events surrounding the false prophetic statements and the context within which they were spoken.

The false prophetic warning to Zedekiah that “You will not serve the king of Babylon” at Jeremiah 27:9 and 14 was delivered in the beginning of the kingdom of Zedekiah in his fourth year (Jeremiah 27:1). The warning delivered to him at that time in verse 12 was limited to him:

"Even to Zedekiah the king of Judah I spoke according to all these words, saying: "Bring your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him and his people and keep on living."

He was the last king to rule Judah before Jerusalem and Judah were destroyed. Zedekiah had steadfastly refused to continue as vassal to Babylon. Chapter 27 explains how Jeremiah was commissioned as early as the beginning of Jehoiakim’s reign to warn other nations to submit to the yoke of Babylon. That warning, and offer to serve as vassal, was repeated to Zedekiah in the beginning of his reign as well. He preferred the lie, the counsel of the false prophets who said he would not serve. He stubbornly refused and rebelled. Eventually Jehovah’s generous offer of serving as a vassal was taken off the table. Judah was dismantled and suffered the sword, pestilence, famine and the yoke of captivity. Judah ended up serving the hard way as symbolized by the basket of bad figs of Jeremiah chapters 24 and 29:17.

Nowhere in chapter 27 does it read or can it be implied that the false prophets believed that Judah had not already started to serve under Judah's previous kings. The above discussions prove the exact opposite, that servitude had been a long ongoing affair. The false prophets’ warning to Zedekiah in verse 12 was directed to him and was not a sweeping historical statement of the Jewish condition from the days of Jehoiakim onward. Jeremiah chapter 27 puts the false prophets' statements into proper context.

Sixth, Jeremiah’s letter to those earlier exiles unequivocally corroborates the fact that the seventy years of servitude of Jeremiah 25:11 had already begun long before Jerusalem’s destruction seven or eleven years later. In his letter at Jeremiah 29:4-18, written before Jerusalem was destroyed, Jehovah, through Jeremiah, informed the exiles they were in for a long stay, and they should settle in, build houses, plant gardens and raise families. Then, at the end of seventy years, when seventy years had been fulfilled - that is, when the seventy year prophecy of Jeremiah 25:11 ended at the fall of Babylon while the exiles were still in Babylon, Jehovah would turn his attention to the exiles and bring them back to Judah.

4 “This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said to all the exiled people, whom I have caused to go into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon, 5 ‘Build houses and inhabit [them], and plant gardens and eat their fruitage. 6 Take wives and become father to sons and to daughters; and take wives for YOUR own sons and give YOUR own daughters to husbands, that they may give birth to sons and to daughters; and become many there, and do not become few. 7 Also, seek the peace of the city to which I have caused YOU to go into exile, and pray in its behalf to Jehovah, for in its peace there will prove to be peace for YOU yourselves. 8 For this is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: “Let not YOUR prophets who are in among YOU and YOUR practicers of divination deceive YOU, and do not YOU listen to their dreams that they are dreaming. 9 For ‘it is in falsehood that they are prophesying to YOU in my name. I have not sent them,’ is the utterance of Jehovah.”’”

10 “For this is what Jehovah has said, ‘In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon I shall turn my attention to YOU people, and I will establish toward YOU my good word in bringing YOU back to this place.’

11 “‘For I myself well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give YOU a future and a hope. 12 And YOU will certainly call me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to YOU.’

13 “‘And YOU will actually seek me and find [me], for YOU will search for me with all YOUR heart. 14 And I will let myself be found by YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘And I will gather YOUR body of captives and collect YOU together out of all the nations and out of all the places to which I have dispersed YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘And I will bring YOU back to the place from which I caused YOU to go into exile.’

15 “But YOU have said, ‘Jehovah has raised up for us prophets in Babylon.’

16 “For this is what Jehovah has said to the king sitting on the throne of David and to all the people dwelling in this city, YOUR brothers that have not gone forth with YOU into exile, 17 ‘This is what Jehovah of armies has said: “Here I am sending against them the sword, the famine and the pestilence, and I will make them like the burst-open figs that cannot be eaten for badness.”’

18 “‘And I will pursue after them with the sword, with the famine and with the pestilence, and I will give them for a quaking to all the kingdoms of the earth, for a curse and for an object of astonishment and for a whistling at and for a reproach among all the nations to which I shall certainly disperse them, 19 due to the fact that they have not listened to my words,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘that I have sent to them with my servants the prophets, getting up early and sending [them].’

It is simply not reasonable to believe that the seventy year period mentioned in his letter had not yet begun. It was unmistakably already in progress. Otherwise, why bother mentioning it in the first place? Why insert it between the admonition to settle in and the promise of their return? The seventy years was directly connected to those earlier exiles and not later exiles who arrived in the wake of Jerusalem’s destruction eleven, or seven, years in the future. Jeremiah’s reminder that they were in for a long stay was not directed to those later exiles captured under Zedekiah’s rule, but he directed the letter specifically to the Jehoiachin exiles who were also included in the group of captives that Jehovah caused to return. He did not state that when seventy years had been fulfilled “81 years from now, beginning eleven years in the future” he would turn his attention to the Jehoiachin exiles. He did not tell them the seventy years he was referring to applied only to a future generation of exiles, for if that was his intent he surely would have told them to wait the full 81 or 77 years, which is what their stay would have amounted to.

No credible inference to the contrary can be drawn. Under the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory, or any other theory for that matter which recognizes that Judah’s exiles began serving Babylon years before the final destruction of Zedekiah’s Jerusalem, the seventy year period of servitude was already in progress.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are quick to point out Jeremiah 29:10 in support of their position:

10 “For this is what Jehovah has said, ‘In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at (for) Babylon I shall turn my attention to YOU people, and I will establish toward YOU my good word in bringing YOU back to this place.’ (Parenthetical added).

A cursory reading of the phrase “In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon …” might suggest that the seventy years entailed the entire nation being exiled at Babylon seventy years which could only happen if the period began at Jerusalem’s destruction. Under the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory, “at Babylon” is more properly rendered “for Babylon.” The difference is significant. Either rendering is linguistically permissible, but only “for Babylon” is probable and proper, and is the translation employed by nearly every other Bible including a literal translation in the Interlinear Bible. The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ New World Translation (NWT) and the King James Bible (KJV) - routinely vilified by Jehovah’s Witnesses for its lack of credibility - use “at Babylon.” In other words, the Hebrew word “le” can be rendered “at” or “for.”

This is a serious point of contention. The question is whether Jeremiah 29:10 may properly read “In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon?” As will be demonstrated in the following sections, “at Babylon” is not a proper translation and more importantly it cannot logically be used because it fails numerous tests. The question of what the correct interpretation is will be revisited later because employing the correct interpretation requires drawing a conclusion; it is a judgment call derived after a process of Scriptural analysis and the application of common sense.

Before undertaking this inquiry one critical definition is in order pertaining to the word “fulfill” or “fulfillment.” Jehovah’s Witnesses routinely imply that “fulfill” means “equal” when referring to the seventy year period. This incorrect definition is essential to their seventy year theory. Perhaps it is the notion of “fullness” that confuses them. To them, “fulfillment of seventy years” means “equal to seventy years” or any similar concept that equates fulfillment with these controversial seventy years.

But their understanding is wrong. Because it refers to a prophetic period of time, fulfillment means the "end” of seventy years of servitude, the conclusion of it, the accomplishment of it - the end of serving the Babylonian Empire in 539 B.C.E.. The Random House Collegiate Dictionary explains:

Fulfill 1. To carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy, promise, etc. … 4. To bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time."

Please keep this in mind during the course of reading this paper.

G. The nations' seventy years of servitude ended in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon fell to the Persians and Medes while the exiles were still in Babylon, thus bringing to a conclusion the servitude prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 before the Jews returned home.

So, in light of Jeremiah’s detailed explanation in chapter 25 and elsewhere that the seventy years of servitude applied to the nations of the earth that came under the domination of Babylon, the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory, what did he intend to convey in his letter to the exiles at Jeremiah 29:10? Did he mean that after the nations collectively finished serving Babylon seventy years when the empire fell he would turn his attention to the exiles and return them home? Or did he mean, as Jehovah’s Witnesses argue, that after the exiles returned home to Judah after having served at Babylon seventy years, beginning with the destruction of Jerusalem, he would turn his attention to them and bring them home from Babylon? That is precisely what they are arguing, but on its face it is quite obviously illogical. None-the-less, even assuming that their interpretation is correct it fails repeatedly under a simple test.

Under the test, if the seventy year period ended in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon fell and the Persians and Medes began to reign while the exiles were still in Babylon the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ Return theory fails in three significant ways: a) the seventy years obviously did not end upon their return in 537 B.C.E., b) their seventy year period amounts to only 68 years from 607 B.C.E. to 539 B.C.E., and c) from the fall of Babylon in October 539 B.C.E. to the exiles’ return to Judah in 537 B.C.E. there was no king of Babylon to serve. So when exactly did the prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 end, whereby “these nations” would stop serving the king of Babylon seventy years? It ended in October, 539 B.C.E., not upon their return in 537 B.C.E..

First, nowhere in the Bible does it state that the return of the Jews marked the end of the seventy years. Second, Leviticus 26:32-35 whereby Moses prophesied the pending curse and punishment that befell the Jews states that Jehovah would scatter them among the nations and that the land would become a desolation, and Judah would pay off its Sabbaths all the days of its lying desolate while the exiles were in the land of their enemies, Babylon, and not after they returned.

32 And I, for my part, will lay the land desolate, and YOUR enemies who are dwelling in it will simply stare in amazement over it. 33 And YOU I shall scatter among the nations, and I will unsheathe a sword after YOU; and YOUR land must become a desolation, and YOUR cities will become a desolate ruin.

34 “‘At that time the land will pay off its sabbaths all the days of its lying desolated, while YOU are in the land of YOUR enemies. At that time the land will keep sabbath, as it must repay its sabbaths. 35 All the days of its lying desolated it will keep sabbath, for the reason that it did not keep sabbath during YOUR sabbaths when YOU were dwelling upon it.

So even though the exiles had not reoccupied the desolated lands and were still in Babylon, the seventy year prophetic curse ended.

Third, Jeremiah 25:12 states that only after the seventy years had ended, or been fulfilled, Jehovah would call to account against the king of Babylon, which he did beginning with its fall to Cyrus in October 539 B.C.E., one date Jehovah’s Witnesses and everyone else seems to agree on. The seventy years ended when Babylon fell, not two years later when the exiles stepped foot back on the soil of Judah.

12 “‘And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘their error, even against the land of the Chal·de´ans, and I will make it desolate wastes to time indefinite. 13 And I will bring in upon that land all my words that I have spoken against it, even all that is written in this book that Jeremiah has prophesied against all the nations. 14 For even they themselves, many nations and great kings, have exploited them as servants; and I will repay them according to their activity and according to the work of their hands.’”

Fourth, Jeremiah 29:10 likewise concludes the end of the seventy year period of servitude while the Jews were in Babylon, not after they returned.

10 “For this is what Jehovah has said, ‘In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon I shall turn my attention to YOU people, and I will establish toward YOU my good word in bringing YOU back to this place.’

11 “‘For I myself well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give YOU a future and a hope. 12 And YOU will certainly call me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to YOU.’

13 “‘And YOU will actually seek me and find [me], for YOU will search for me with all YOUR heart. 14 And I will let myself be found by YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘And I will gather YOUR body of captives and collect YOU together out of all the nations and out of all the places to which I have dispersed YOU,’ is the utterance of Jehovah. ‘And I will bring YOU back to the place from which I caused YOU to go into exile.’

After the seventy years ended Jehovah would turn his attention to his people and bring them back. The seventy years had to end first, in 539 B.C.E., in Babylon, and only then would his people be gathered together and brought back.

Fifth, 2 Chronicles 36:20 states that the captives removed to Babylon would be servants to the king “until the royalty of Persia began to reign,” which began October 539 B.C.E., and not until the exiles physically returned to Judah two years later.

"Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign; ... "

Both sides agree that Babylon fell to the Persians in October 539 B.C.E.. That fall signaled the beginning of Persia’s reign. The prophet Daniel foretold its sudden collapse when he interpreted the writing on the wall for Babylon’s king Belshazzer. “This is the interpretation of the word: MENE, God has numbered [the days of] your kingdom and finished it.” And he did in 539 B.C.E..

Sixth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, at page 24, contradict themselves because they also claim that Ezra wrote that the seventy years ran until the first year of Cyrus which they submit was his first regnal year, which would actually be his second year of having power.

"... the inspired Bible writer Ezra reported that the 70 years ran until “the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia,” who issued a decree allowing the Jews to return to their homeland. (Ezra 1:1-4; 2 Chronicles 36:21-23)"

At Ezra 1:1, reference is made to “the first year of Cyrus,” not “the year Cyrus became king” (or accession year), so he was speaking of the first regnal year of Cyrus, which cuneiform documentation places in 538/537B.C.E. Jewish historian Josephus corroborates by referring to “the first year of the reign of Cyrus.”—Antiquitiesof the Jews, Book XI, Chapter I.

That statement is false - the inspired Bible writer Ezra never said that - and furthermore, their position contradicts the Jehovah’s Witnesses' own claim under its Return theory that the seventy years ran until the exiles returned to Judah in the fall of 537 B.C.E., long after the decree setting them free was issued, and after Cyrus began to reign. Not only is it a contradiction, but it is not correct. In the first place it contravenes 2 Chronicles 36:22 just quoted which pegs the end of the 70 years at the inception of the reign of Persian royalty, which began immediately when Babylon fell in 539 B.C.E., not one year later beginning with the second, or ‘regnal’ year of Cyrus’ rule. Again, common sense is in order. Setting the Record Straight at 24 claims “the first year of Cyrus” was his first regnal year which would be his second actual year of ruling Babylon. However that would create a one year gap between Babylon’s fall and the Persians’ reign, and surely no one could suggest that when Cyrus made his triumphant entry 16 days after Babylon’s fall in October 539 B.C.E. to his army that the reign of Persia had not yet begun or that the Babylonian Empire was still ruling and in control. Daniel said that the Babylonian kingdom was finished.

Read Ezra 1:1-4 and 2 Chronicles 36:21-23 carefully. Ezra did not state that the seventy years ran until the first regnal (or second actual) year of Cyrus the Persian’s reign. Ezra did not say that in order for the seventy years to come to an end Cyrus had to issue his decree setting them free which was long after Persia began to rule. One of their contradictions ends in Babylon, the other in Judah, and it is strategically and scripturally not feasible to occur at the exact same time or in the same year.

So what basis do the Jehovah’s Witnesses claim supports their belief that the seventy year prophecy ended upon the exiles’ return to Judah in 537 B.C.E. and not earlier when Babylon fell to Persia in 539 B.C.E.? Nothing, as it turns out, although they allude to their reasoning in Setting the Record Straight at p. 25, 26:

“And in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia, that Jehovah’s word from the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, Jehovah roused the spirit of Cyrus the king of Persia so that he caused a cry to pass through all his realm.”—Ezra 1:1 (see also 2 Chronicles 36:22).

The highlighted portion of the above-quoted verse serves as unimpeachable evidence that “Jehovah’s word from the mouth of Jeremiah” had not yet been accomplished, even by the “first year of Cyrus,” proving conclusively that the conquest of Babylon by Persia was not the determining factor in fulfilling Jeremiah’s prophecy.

All that this vague and convoluted assertion attempts to state is that the seventy year period allegedly ended when the Jews returned in 537 B.C.E. and not when Babylon fell in 539 B.C.E.; that the Jews’ return had not happened by the time Babylon fell. Well, of course it hadn’t, but more importantly, it wasn’t a requirement because the seventy years ended in 539 B.C.E., not on their return. Because their return happened two years after Persia conquered Babylon the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory fails, they claim, because Babylon was conquered two years before their return.

This false and distorted piece of logic begs the essential question “When did the seventy years end?” Had they been forthcoming and actually quoted Jehovah’s word from the mouth of Jeremiah rather than force the reader to hunt for its meaning it would have been self-evident, but more importantly, it would have proven them wrong which is perhaps why they did not wish to bring it to the readers' attention in the first place.

We can determine what Jehovah’s word was by reference to Ezra 1:1-4 and 2 Chronicles 36:22 which they quote in support of their position. And even though neither one of these verses specify what the word of Jehovah was either, the context and subject matter of those Scriptures indicates that it referred to Jehovah’s promise to return the Jews and Cyrus’ decree setting them free.

1 And in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia, that Jehovah’s word from the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, Jehovah roused the spirit of Cyrus the king of Persia so that he caused a cry to pass through all his realm, and also in writing, saying:

2 “This is what Cyrus the king of Persia has said, ‘All the kingdoms of the earth Jehovah the God of the heavens has given me, and he himself has commissioned me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. 3 Whoever there is among YOU of all his people, may his God prove to be with him. So let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and rebuild the house of Jehovah the God of Israel—he is the [true] God—which was in Jerusalem. 4 As for anyone that is left from all the places where he is residing as an alien, let the men of his place assist him with silver and with gold and with goods and with domestic animals along with the voluntary offering for the house of the [true] God, which was in Jerusalem.’”(Ezra 1:1-4 see also 2 Chronicles 36:22,23).

Jehovah’s word related to the return of the Jews and is found at Jeremiah 29:10. But only after the seventy years had ended would he turn his attention to returning the Jews.

This, in actuality, is unimpeachable evidence that the seventy years of servitude came to an end first in 539 B.C.E. and only later, in 537 B.C.E. would the Jews return. Accordingly, it is not necessary or even possible that the ‘return’ occur before Babylon fell and the seventy years ended. Even with their improper rendering that the seventy years would be accomplished at Babylon, the Jehovah’s Witnesses' Return theory lacks merit. Jeremiah 29:10 supports the Dominant Babylonian Empire theory and disproves the Jehovah’s Witnesses' Return theory.

http://144000.110mb.com/607/i-3.html

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Billy....Nor does the "anointed one" arrive at the end of the 62 weeks either. This juncture is rather when the "anointed one" is cut off. And this anointed figure is different from the "anointed leader" mentioned earlier, who arrives at the end of the first 7 weeks, as 62 weeks separate these two anointed ones from each other. This is why the 62 weeks are set apart within the 70; they most likely mark the time when the Zadokite priesthood was in existence, from the time of its institution after the Exile to the time it comes to an end. A better rendering can be found in the NEB:

"Know then and understand: from the time that the word went forth that Jerusalem should be restored and rebuilt, seven weeks shall pass till the appearance of one anointed, a prince; then for sixty-two weeks it shall remain restored, rebuilt with streets and conduits. At the critical time, after the sixty-two weeks, one who is anointed shall be removed with no one to take his part; and the horde of an invading prince shall work havoc on city and sanctuary. The end of it shall be a deluge, inevitable war with all its horrors. He shall make a firm league with the mighty [or many] for one week; and, the week half spent, he shall put a stop to sacrifice and offering".

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Thanks Billy:

rs: "What's the purpose of Christ arriving at the 70th week if it is the64th week?"

Um, if this is what you're talking about, you better brush up on Daniel some more. Christ didn't arrive at the 70th week...

(Daniel 9:24-26) 24 “There are seventy weeks that have been determined upon your people and upon your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, and to finish off sin, and to make atonement for error, and to bring in righteousness for times indefinite, and to imprint a seal upon vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 And you should know and have the insight [that] from the going forth of [the] word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes?si′ah [the] Leader, there will be seven weeks, also sixty-two weeks. She will return and be actually rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in the straits of the times.
    26 “And after the sixty-two weeks Mes?si′ah will be cut off, with nothing for himself.

This is how it works. There is a first and second coming and this prophecy combines prophecies about three messiahs:

1) The first coming messiah as a man.

2) The second coming messiah as a man.

3) The messiah as represented by the Jews.

1) THE FIRST COMING: It is a complex prophecy. But in regards to the 70th week and the messiah arriving at that time, the 490 years or 70 weeks are divided up into 1, 7 and 62 weeks. Thus the messiah arriving at the 70th week is derived from the statement that "gift and sacrifice" end in the middle of the last week, the 70th week. Therefore when the 70th week is calculated for the 1st coming it is the 1 week at the end of both 62 weeks and 7 weeks. Most or many religions clearly see the messiah arriving after 69 weeks and then dying in the middle of the 70th. That is also JW teaching. This works out chronologically as well since we see JWs beginning the 70 weeks in 455 BCE and ending it in 36 CE with the messiah arriving, being baptized, in 29 CE considered the end of 69 weeks.

Now this is fundamental JW doctrine and of many other religions that Christ in 29 CE fulfills the 69th week. I'm just saying that to note others have surmised this meaning and "interpretation belongs to God" so.

2) What many don't realize is that the second coming mimicks the first. That is, the messiah arrives during the 70th week.

3) For the first and second coming the "week" is just 7 years, the 70th 7-year week out of 490 years. But for the Jewish nation it is 7x that. That is, 7x490 years = 3430 years. These 70 weeks can be calculated by astronomical text for the 1st of Akhenaten who is the pharaoh who follows the Exodus and converts to monotheism in recognition of Yahweh. Archaeology supports the fall of Jerusalem by the Israelites between 1350-1325 BCE which fits the Exodus occurring in 1386 BCE. An astronomical text called the KTU 1.78 dates year 12 of Akhenaten to 1375 BCE so the Exodus can be dated absolutely to 1386 BCE for the 1st of Akhenaten. The Exodus is the first JUBILEE after this 3430 years begins since it celebrates the Jews leaving Egypt. The final return fulfills the 70th jubilee.

In other words 3430 years is 70 jubilee weeks of 49 years each. 7 x 490 is the same as 70 x 49. So what we do is, after establishing the true date for the Exodus in 1386 BCE is count back to the beginning of this "70 weeks" of 49 years each which gives us 1435 BCE.

1386 + 49 = 1435 BCE. 1435 BCE begins the 70 jubilee weeks of 3430 years, which thus ends in 1996. Because.

3430 - 1435 = 1995 + 1 = 1996.

This ends the 70 jubilees. The 70th jubilee would begin 49 years earlier and should fulfill when the Jews are restored to their homeland. Thus 1996 minus 49 is 1947. That's the precise year the Jews regained their homeland.

Now many are not really intuitive enough to understand how complex the prophecy is and its triple layers of fulfillment, but once you do and test it against true chronology it is amazing how that works out.

The fact is the 1, 7 and 62 weeks can can be combined flexibly to fulfill all three messianic prophecies in which all three messiahs arrive during the 70th week.

Of course, if you have your own interpretation, none of this would pertain to you. I respect your own interpretation. But the above is basically how it has become fulfilled.

THE CUT OFF: THUS the "cut off" has to be taken in isolation and context. We find that context at Zech 13:8 which prophesies the extermination of 6 million Jews during the Holocaust:

ZECH 13: 8 “And it must occur in all the land,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “[that] two parts in it are what will be cut off [and] expire; and as for the third [part], it will be left remaining in it. 9 And I shall certainly bring the third [part] through the fire; and I shall actually refine them as in the refining of silver, and examine them as in the examining of gold. It, for its part, will call upon my name, and I, for my part, will answer it. I will say, ‘It is my people,’ and it, in its turn, will say, ‘Jehovah is my God.’”

Thus we have a direct association and link of the "cut off" in association with the two-thirds extermination of the Jews during the end-times. The "cut off" in Daniel must occur in some scenario at the end of 62 weeks. Now you do have three options. It can be the first 62 weeks within the 490 years, or it can be 62 weeks after the first 7 weeks, which is 49 years. Or it can be at the end of the week after the 1 week and 7 weeks.

In this case, since it is a past event we need only make the application. So what we do is acknowledge the final 490 years, 70 weeks from 1506 to 1996. And we determine when the Holocaust occurred which was primarily say from 1940-1944. Late 1939 is when Poland was conquered. Now we compare that to the 70 weeks beginning in 1506 BCE.

62 weeks is 434 years. So if we interpret this to mean the very first 434 years of this week beginning in 1506 AD then we get 1940.

1506 + 434 = 1940

Since the restoration of the Jews fulfilling their 70th jubilee is from 1947 to 1949, we know the "great tribulation" and "extermination" of 2/3rds of the Jews must happen during the 1 week period, their last 7 years of exile before their restoration in 1947. So the "cut off" at the end of 62 weeks is fulfilled by 1940 beginning the Holocaust. Thus between 1940 and 1947 two-thirds of the population of these people, men, women and child old and young, rich and educated, would be exterminated. Unbelievable for a Christian world in a modern culture. But it happened. 6 million Jews did get exterminated between 1940-1947 with 1940 beginning the 62 weeks.

So we don't have to guess about that fulfillment after the fact. The actual fulfillment confirms it for us. And you can calculate this using 36 CE, 29 CE or the Exodus date of 1386 BCE. Or better yet, use 1947 as a pivotal date for the entire 70 weeks.

Now please note that 29 CE and 36 CE have to match up with 1947 and 1940 as major events to be fulfilled, and all those dates have to match up with the Exodus in 1386 BCE. Which they do.

But it also much match up with the 70 years. That's because the end of the 70 years occurs in the 1st of Cyrus when the Jews return from Babylon. That in turn is 19 jubilees from the Exodus. So you can see what I'm getting at. If the Exodus was in 1386 BCE then 19 jubilees later for the jubilee of the return from Babylon must occur in 455 BCE for the jubilees to line up.

19 x 49 = 931 931 plus 455 = 1386 BCE. So now the release from Egypt at the Exodus, the return from Babylon in 455 BCE and the final return in 1947 all fulfill prophetic patterns. 1947 to 1996 is the 70th jubilee from 1435 BCE but the 50th jubilee from 455 bCE! So it fulfills BOTH the 50th and the 70th patterns. Thus 1947-1996 is chronological big deal in the Bible. In fact, we can now use 1947 to date every single major event in the Bible now. If you know how to do it and are a Biblical chronologist. Everyone doesn't have the mind for numbers, but I think you do.

Hope that answered some of your questions.

LS

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Jonathan: I lifted this from the link your provided:

H. The seventy years could not have ended when the exiles returned to Judah in 537 B.C.E. because there existed no king of Babylon to serve for two years between 537 B.C.E. and 539 B.C.E. after Persia began its reign in 539 B.C.E..

This is a joke. Nabonidus was ruling until Cyrus imprisoned him. Darius the Mede ruled for six years and was the grandson of Nebuchadnezzar, so all during the 6-year rule of Darius the Mede, Nabonidus was still on the loose. Remember, they just went in without a battle and took over the city. Belshazzar was ruling and was killed, but Darius the Mede was a Babylonian heir to the throne as well. So there were actually two Babylonian kings ruling during the 6-year perid from the fall of Jerusalem until the 1st of Cyrus. The rule of Cyrus and the rule of Darius the Mede do not overlap and the Bible clearly shows the Darius the Mede's kingdom ruled first. Allow me...

Daniel 6: 28 "And as for this Daniel, he prospered in the kingdom of Da·ri´us and in the kingdom of Cyrus the Persian."

Now note this very specific reference as to when the 70 years would end. It would not be when the kingdom of the Medes took over, which was when Darius the Mede the grandson of Nebuchadnezzar was ruling, but when the "royalty of PERSIA" began to rule, meaning when Cyrus the Persian comes to the throne after the rule of Darius. Allow me...

2 Chronicles 36: 20 Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign; 21 to fulfill Jehovah’s word by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had paid off its sabbaths. All the days of lying desolated it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

This confirms four things:

1) That the Jews would still be in exile during the reign of Darius the Mede who was one of the "sons" of Nebuchadnezzar, and thus an extension of the Babylonian empire, while Nabonidus was still at large in Borsippa.

2) That the end of the 70 years is specifically when the "royalty of PERSIA" began to rule as distinctive from the "royalty of the Medes." Again, noting Daniel 6 the Bible separates the "kingdom of Darius" from the "Kingdom of Cyrus the Persian."

So it is when the royal Persian empire under Cyrus takes over that the Jews are released in his first year and that the 70 years ends, beginning the 23rd year of Nebuchadnezzar.

3) That the land itself would have to remain desolate for 70 years, beginning with the last deportation.

4) That the ones serving these specific 70 years are the ones "remaining from the sword" which is a reference to the Jews left over from those not killed by Nebuchadnezzar who had ran down to Egypt. As Jeremiah 44:14 and 28 show, these are the ones referred to as the ones "remaining from the sword" and a small remnant of them would then return to Judea. So the last deportation in year 23 was from Judea of these few "escaped" ones who were deported in year 23.

Now, that is not saying that Olof Jonsson and a hundred others can interpret 70-year prophecies pertaining to many other things, including a 64-year rounded to 70-year interpretation of Babylonian dominance. (604-539=65 years not 70!). So there is no need to discuss nor contradict that 70-year domination of by Babylon. This is an entirely different reference relating to when 70 year of desolation of the land to pay back its sabbaths began and the servitude during those specific 70 years of those "remaining from the sword" who were deported last, in year 23 of Nebuchadnezzar. This is entirely separate from Babylonian domination arguments, which may very well work out quite well for those who have worked them out.

So the Bible and Josephus are in sync for the 70 years beginning with the last deportation to the 1st of Cyrus from year 23 of Nebuchadnezzar and the deportation of those last ones returning to Judea from Egypt.

JW MISINTERPRETATION OF THE 70 YEARS: Now just for the record, JWs do recognize a 70-year period of desolation of the land to pay back its sabbaths. Great. That's correct. But they incorrectly rope Josephus into confirming these 70 years begin in year 18 of Nebuchadnezzar which they date to 607 BCE! Josephus does NOT begin his 70 years in year 18, but in year 23 as does the Bible, with the last deportation. So that's a critical difference between the Bible/Josephus, and the WTS. Also, JWs do not recognize the 6-year rule of Darius the Mede, or that he is the grandson of Nebuchadnezzar for that matter. So 607 BCE is such a wrong date in so many ways its a total joke. But so is all the other SECULAR Babylonian dates like 539 BCE for the fall of Babylon. It's not Biblical. Per the Bible's own timeline, Babylon falls in 562 BCE. But that's another discussion.

Thanks for your comments. I didn't read through the entire commentary once I saw it didn't understand the Babylonian kingships continued down to the first of Cyrus, even through the reign of Darius the Mede, with both he and Nabonidus being reigning Babylonian kings.

Lars

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Jonathan, In explanation of this statement:

E. The seventy year prophecy at Jeremiah 25:11 did not apply to Jerusalem and Judah alone but to all nations which fell under the domination of the Babylonian Empire. These nations, as a unit, comprising theBabylonian Empire collectively, served the king(s) of Babylon seventy years.

Please note that there were peripheral kingdoms to the northern and southern regions, such as Ashkelon and Tyre that were to serve a sepcific 70 years of desolation.

Please note the 10-tribe northern kingdom area had been empty of Israelites since the Assyrian times but had become repopulated by others. So you not only had non-Israelites in the northern kingdom area, but some of these other city-states that were to serve these specific 70 years.

We turn to Josephus for context again where in Antiquities he describes the last campaign into the region for a while in the 23rd year of Nebuchadnezzar. This was the year he deported all the people completely off the land after he had destroyed them earlier. Thus just as with the destruction of Jerusalem where some of the poor people and a governor were left to harvest crops, there were still a few people left in the land for practical reasons and minimal maintenance. We can presume this "policy" was applied to the other cities in the region which by year 23 was sparsely populated and that is when Nebuchadnezzar completely emptied the land of people and the entire region became a desolate waste.

Take Tyre, for instance. It was to be desolated for 70 years. Per Josephus there was a 13-year siege of Tyre beginning the 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar, thus from the 7th through the 20th years of Nebuchadnezzar. So Tyre was actually destroyed and vassalized by year 20 of Nebuchadnezzar. But some of the people may have been left in that city and at Ashkelon and in the northern kingdom to harvest crops, etc. being removed out of the land specifically in the 23rd year during this last campaign. So the other "nations" that would serve the same 70 years as the last-deported Jews were the other nations in the region. This emphasizes that the LAND ITSELF had to serve the 70 years and that means all peoples, whether Jews or not had to be removed out of the land and they would serve Babylon at least 70 years. Keep in mind there were several deportations to Babylon from this region so some Jews served more than seventy years. By the 23rd of Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel had been in Babylon 24 years already. So his exile was actually 94 years. He was 100 years old by the 1st of Cyrus when he finally was released. So when he was visited by angels in the 3rd year of Cyrus he was a very, very old man of 103.

So again, I can see how this tangent is trying to be developed over the "nations" serving 70 years, when in fact it is just incidental to clearing the entire northern and southern kingdom areas including the seacoast cities of Ashkelon, Tyre and others. The "servitude" to Babylon, in fact, must be done AT BABYLON, so these people were off their land.

I can see why there is such a vehement argument over "at Babylon" vs "for Babylon" since "AT Babylon" would definitely require deportation servitude. But since we know the Jews were deported in the context of serving Babylon, the nations would also be implied to be serving AT Babylon as well and thus in exile from their lands.

That's how I'm reading it anyway.

Thanks for posting the discussion.

LS

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

LARSINGER, when was King Neb. first year as King to rule? Hope you can answer that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit