Injured at Bethel--then what?

by LDH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

For 'Lookin' who stated in another thread that he was asked to leave Bethel after 8 years because he was injured.

Is there any form of Worker's Comp if you are injured at Bethel? Is there any disability insurance if you are disabled?

How does this whole thing work?

Lisa

• lookin
    lookin

Unfortunately the answer is a big fat NO.

You are given nothing to help you if you leave-even if you leave by getting injured while working and in good terms.

There is nothing they offer by way of compensation or even to be covered for a while with medical benefits.

You get ZERO..NADA...ZILCH

:(

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Injured at Bethel - then what?

You are screwed. You are sent home still injured and promptly forgotten. It has happened countless times.

: Is there any form of Worker's Comp if you are injured at Bethel? Is there any disability insurance if you are disabled?

In order to avoid having to provide humane protection for their little worker bees, the society has declared those little worker bees a "Religious Order" who must take a vow of poverty.

Translation: "we don't have to provide workman's compensation, unemployment insurance or any long-term medical care once we've cast you off when we no longer need or want you."

Not that many years ago, (as I understand it) the German government discovered how the society was not providing for the health and pension needs of their full-time slaves. They issued regulations required the society in their country to provide health care and pensions for those people. Any humane organization would have complied. The WTS is not a humane organization. It is a thoroughly evil and selfish organization. The society immediately either dismissed or transferred out of Germany all special pioneers.

Just look at what happened to Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap. Ray had forty years full time service to his Cult. Ed was 69 when he was booted out and had about as many or more years full-time service. Any humane corporation would still provide pensions for such long-time employees, even if they were fired. The WTS is not a human organization. It is a thoroughly evil and selfish organization who could not care less about ruining individual lives when it affects their financial bottom line.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• lookin
    lookin

Farkel said it better...
    And unfortunately I have to agree having been there and seen SO SO many sticky situations come up...
    :(

• Valis
    Valis

I think a lawsuit is in order with lots and lots of discovery forced on WT by the plaintiff. Itv would be interesting to see how many revealing questions they could be forced by court to answer. I doubt it would be hard to find negligence on their part. Does anybody know if any kind of contractual agreement is entered by Bethelites and the WT?

• LDH
    LDH

Valis, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wish I was still in New York.

Looking, why don't you consult a Labor Law Attorney. Could do a class action againt the WT. Put out a call on this board for any injured Bethelites.

I beleive, regardless of the vow they take, they still meet the legal requirement of 'working.' Not sure.

Lisa

• lookin
    lookin

These are the exact quotes from the Bethel application before signing:
    "PLEASE NOTE: It there is an opneing for which we feel you are qualified, we will advise you. Otherwise, please DO NOT expect an acknowledgement of this application. Please do not telephone or call in person to inquire about your application, unless it would be an emergency, since no one person would be able to tell you whether or not your services would be needed. If you recieve no answer from us, remember that your application is on file should a need develop. IF you are NOT accepted for Bethel service at this time, please continue your faithful service in your present assignment, and if possible in the pioneer service. If you are accepted to serve in the Order of Special Full-Time Servants and of the Bethel family, the Society reserves the right to determine if and when your membership should terminate.
    PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY AND PRAYERFULLY
    This application is an expression of my personal desire to become a member of the Order of Special Full-Time Servants and of the Bethel family. I will give that assignment of service priority over all other activities. I will be diligent to take full advantage of the provisions for study and discussion of God's Word that are made for the Bethel family, which means attendance at morning worship and the Monday evening Watchtower Study. To the extent possible, I will also share regularly in the field service and in the meetings of the congregation with which I am assigned to work. I will at all times conduct myself in full harmony with all regulations that apply to the Bethel family, including all matters detailed in the Dwelling Together in Unity manual, such as the sections on secular work, vow of obedience and poverty, as well as the counsel of God's WOrd that applies to all Christians."

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    These are the exact quotes from the Bethel application before signing:

Any chance of getting scans of the actual application?

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• radtrinidad
    radtrinidad

In most religious orders there are retirement commuitites for it's members. If one takes a "vow of poverty" then it is the the responsibility of the religious order to take care of it's members. To do any less is not only negligent but non-Christian.
    Peace, Rad

• LDH
    LDH

Can't believe JT didn't see this-- or black man.

Anyone else have input?

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit