need lawyerly advice about DA

by Watkins 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

  • Watkins

    Hi everybody! Haven't been around for a while - nice to see so many still around, alive an' kickin'!

    Here's what's bothering me - I want to request the return of any records bearing my name at my former KH. I want it to be like I was never even there, call me 'Casper', lol. I've read that others have successfully done this, but being a lone woman and not really knowing what rights I have with those legalists - they could bulldoze me if I don't have all my ducks in a row. What's the procedure? Should I have a lawyer write an official letter for me - if so, what should I ask, or demand? If I know how to word the letter I probably wouldn't need a lawyer, but a lawyer would impress upon them the seriousness of the matter to me... It should accompany my letter of disassociation, I would think. Like a bad break-up - "We're done. I want all my stuff back."

    I'm so hoping you all have some experiences to share and/or good advice!

    Thanks - watkins

  • bohm

    WATKINS: IANAL but I dont see why you should disassociate at the same time... thats playing by their rules and if there is a legal basis for demanding all records with your name back from them it will have nothing to do with a DA.

    Btw. you should properly write what country you are from :-).

  • AwSnap

    I have no idea how to help you, but I'm marking this thread to keep track! Best wishes!

  • leavingwt

    Good luck!

  • AwSnap

    I have a friend who moved from gatorLand to the mountains...they contacted someone in their old congregation, pretending they were one of the "higher ups" in the congregation. They asked for their records to be sent to an address (but it was the address of the person requesting the information)...I guess it was never checked out now the records are *poof!* & gone. Code-Casper-In-Effect. My problem is that I live within an hour from where my old congregation is & a bunch of the elders know each other...I wouldn't know how to accomplish the same thing.

  • diamondiiz

    This is what I've included in my DA letter:

    "I request that you remove my name from Watch Tower and all it’s branches and any corporation known to governing body that may not be known to local elders for whatever reason they may collect this data or keep my name on file. I no longer want to have any association that may link me to the governing body or any of their corporations which they claim to be charitie$."

    It's hard to know what data they keep, where and for what reasons. Will they erase your name from all their documents? Doubtful but you can request and hope they do get your name wiped out of their web of corporations and good luck in that. Legaly, I don't know what they can keep on file and what they are obligated to erase upon request.

    ps: My view is that just as wts requests an individual to make a formal disassociation letter to a previous religious order before becoming a wts follower so in a same manner I would want to disassociate myself from wts.

  • wantstoleave

    I didn't know that the society requests a person to write a letter of disassociation to a previous religion before becoming a witness. Wow!

    Watkins, sorry I can't offer any helpful advice. Your letter sounds succinct

  • jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

    Try asking for some free legal advice on the legal message boards. They can be quite helpful.

    They might destroy any evidence that could get them sued. If you are thinking of litigation (in the USA) then don't tip them off. Let a sharp lawyer use the discovery process after you file the complaint.

    They might claim the records belong to the organization. Prickly legal issues here. If you do decide to sue you don't want them to get rid of anything related to you. You want that paper trail. They will probably keep copies of anything they gave you. I suspect there are electronic copies buried somewhere as well.

  • Gayle

    I recommend you get a lawyer. Get a lawyer to send a letter. Let me show you how. Check your PM.

  • Watkins

    This page is broken on my end - can't see all the replies, so tho't I'd post and see if it comes thru. I was hoping someone else had the experience and could tell me in detail what to do, or not do.

Share this