so much happier since leaving!

by starbox120862 11 Replies latest jw friends

• starbox120862
    starbox120862

i was loosely allied with the JWs thru my teens after my mum studied with them, finally getting baptized at 30. No one else in my family went, my mum had stopped, I used to hang around on the edge at meetings,mainly ignored.Once an elder came over and reproved me for having a little coloured sticker on my Bible to distinguish it from all the other identical ones. Once a sister offered to give me a lift out on the work, then another sister, an elders wife, came and said i couldnt go because her daughter needed the lift. theres a lot more, it was totally a clique. i remember one morning being really happy, going to the meeting and by noon being feeling suicidal, in floods of tears , feeling guilty, inadequate, an outsider. My teenage son was just getting into heavy rock, iron maiden, and i was taken aside and told he was on the road to satanism [he's now at uni ,been working at the stock exchange and not into satanism or heavy rock anymore]. I was on antidepressants; my colleagues said get out if it makes you like this, but as I told them its not like a social club you just quit, its not God's fault they dont behave right. But it kept occurring to me that ok religion wont make the congregation perfect but shouldnt they be at least equally loving as worldly people. Was it right that I'd come home from a meeting distraught and would seek out the company of my [hard drinking, party girl]next door neighbour for a bit of validation ? So I disassociated myself and my life has been so much better. The depression that dogged me all my life has gone. My confidence has grown, I've got a managerial role, I speak up and I dont feel guilty for everything I say and do. Of course this was easier for me than some as I didnt have any issues with a believing family. I would never go back. I dont think its the true religion but I dont know what is. I see flaws in all the other religions and think "I dont believe that", so I havent taken any steps in that direction and just thank God for nature and the lovely world.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That's what happens if everything that is the least little bit fun is banned. You listen to real music, they have a cow. You put a sticker on your Bible so you can tell it apart from all the others (which do look exactly like every other Bible in the dump), they have a cow. You put up some fancy lights to embellish your place, they have a cow. You watch TV, they have a cow. You take a little trip a few miles away from home without going in field circus, they have a cow. You miss a boasting session, they have a cow.

And, at the boasting sessions, you hear that you are guilty of murder if you are not out there every second. If Jehovah thinks you could have gotten one more door, you murdered that person. You hear that it matters not that you are sick or that you need to get out and work. Your time is for field circus. Give up everything that is fun. You are not doing enough. Cut back on regular work and do more field circus. And, they think people are happiest just above the poverty level--bulls***. And, put in that last effort because the finish line is dead ahead--as it has been for the past 135 years.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome :)

So I disassociated myself and my life has been so much better. The depression that dogged me all my life has gone.

Familiar story amongst many who have left.

These verses tell the story of JW preaching their different gospel rather than just grace of Jesus.

Galatians 1:6-9 (English Standard Version)

No Other Gospel
    6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. All the best, Stephen
  • Newborn
    Newborn

Welcome! I'm very happy for you. You're in a much better place now. Enjoy life!!!

Newborn

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome ! Starbox...

Was it right that I'd come home from a meeting distraught ?

Sadly , that has often been the experience in this family too...The trouble is that the rest of them have not yet come to the obvious conclusion that you and I have reached

• asilentone
    asilentone

Welcome to the board, we are very happy to have you!

• feeling good
    feeling good

Welcome! Isn't it funny that nobody in the Hall seems happy there?

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

every meeting someone would run out in tears over something.

and @feeling good. - of course lol. - they are all sighing and groaning over the detestable things - thats the mark of a christian x

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Welcome! I too am so much happier since leaving even though most of my family is still in.

I dont think its the true religion but I dont know what is. I see flaws in all the other religions and think "I dont believe that", so I havent taken any steps in that direction and just thank God for nature and the lovely world.

Perhaps this idea that there simply has to be a true religion is just a kind of sales pitch that groups like the Witnesses use to get converts. Think outside the box. There may never be a true religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit