advice for throwing a first-ever birthday party

by 2pink 15 Replies latest jw friends

• 2pink
    2pink

we are having a first ever birthday party for my daughter in a few weeks. i have never been to a b-day party, as i grew up JW.

my daughter is turning 5.

any advice or party tips? how many kids should i invite? am i supposed to organize activities and games, or just hand them bowls full of sugar and let them run wild? is my daughter expected to open gifts while everyone is there, or later after the party? i feel like there are so many unwritten rules of etiquette surrounding these events that i am completely unaware of.

thanks for any advice!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Do 5 year olds like Chuck E. Cheese? I don't know how to throw a party like that. I do know that people like to see their gifts open in front of them so they can see the person's reaction.

• White Dove
    White Dove

McDonald's does parties.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Happy birthday to your daughter. How exciting that you are throwing your first birthday party!

Normally activities and games are good. My son liked twister and pin the tail on the donkey when he was young. I do like your idea of handing them bowls of sugar and letting them run wild--as long as they have lots of room to run and there isn't anything nice lying around for them to break. LOL

Yes, your daughter should open the gifts while the other children are there. And I am sure you will help her write the thank you cards afterwards.

Let us know how it went.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My kid liked Chuck E. Cheese. We had some good parties there.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I suggest a guillotine for your first beheading. In future years, you may want to use an axe, or even a hand knife; but very few witnesses (especially kids) are ready for that sort of all-out worldliness their first birthday out of the borg.

• Robdar
    Robdar

ROFLMAO at Six!

• xeracia
    xeracia

Do some google searches for birthday party games. There are a ton out there and you can get some great ideas. I love throwing birthday parties for my girls now that I am out of the cult! They are so much fun to live through vicariously! Pinatas are always a fun activity for any age. At that age I wouldn't blindfold them. Just let them try and bust it open and enjoy the candy. Lots of balloons and streamers are always fun for decoration. And the kids enjoy popping the balloons as the party winds down. Yes the gifts get opened during the party, so the guests can see your child enjoying what they brought for them. And cake and ice cream are the usual foods served. They say for the number of guests...go by the age of your child..so if your daughter is turning five then let her invite five friends. I think that is a good rule to go by. Hope you have fun and happy birthday to your little one!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Being it's your first birthday party, I would advise you keep it simple. As a general rule, you should invite as many kids as the birthday boy or girl is old. Since your daughter is turning 5, then 5 kids should be sufficient. Please note that if you're inviting classmates the invitations should be mailed and not distributed at school to spare the feelings of those who aren't invited. If you can't obtain addresses, put a return address and stamps on the envelopes and ask the school office to address and mail them for you.

Parties for 5-year olds shouldn't last more than a few hours. Once all or at least most of the guests arrive, play a few games like pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs, duck, duck, goose, pinata, etc. If you give prizes, make sure you have goodie bags, so that all of the kids go home with something. Serve cake and ice cream before opening the gifts. For that age, additional food isn't necessary, but if you do decide to serve food keep it simple and kid friendly such as pizza, hot dogs, etc.

If you are looking to make friends with the parents of your daughter's guests, make sure it's clear that the invitation is for parent/s and child. In that case food should be served, and there should be something available that adults like to eat. Appetizers are ok. To determine amount of food needed, use RSVP on the invitation. Very few will respond, so make sure to call and verify who is attending. I don't know why, but the vast majority of people don't RSVP.

You can decorate with streamers, banners and balloons if you like, but it's not really necessary at this age. Usually that stuff is important to older kids, (around 8 or 9), but every kid is different.

If you need etiquette questions answered, recipes or any other ideas, let me know.

Jamie of the stepmom to two, grandma of four, everyone's baby shower, birthday party and holiday dinner is at my house class.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

Dont have her open the gifts while the kids are still there or there will be fighting over them and maybe some kids/there parents being embaressed some1 gave something more expensive.Best to just have her do it after i think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit