Please help re:objections to Thanksgiving?

by M.J. 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

What are the standard JW objections to Thanksgiving? Do they claim there is any kind of a scriptural basis for condemning it? I plan on asking someone about this and I'm curious what types of reasoning they might try to throw at me. Thanks for any responses.

M.J.

• undercover
    undercover

Here's one objection that I remember hearing all the time as I was growing up:

"We should give thanks to Jehovah everyday. We should thank him at every meal and when we rise and when we go to sleep. We(JWs) don't need a special day to thank our Heavenly Father for the gifts he has bestowed upon us"

Another objection might be that since Thanksgiving is a "worldly" holiday and since JWs are no part of the world, they don't want to share in anything that might give people the impression that they would worship together, even if it's giving thanks.

• yknot
    yknot

An excerpt from the school brochure

*** sj p. 21 Holidays and Celebrations ***

National Holidays

Other holidays are somewhat different in nature. These are not so universally celebrated, but may be unique to a particular country. For example, there may be national days of thanksgiving. In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation’s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.

Jehovah’s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays. Though we respect the authorities in whatever country we may reside, for conscientious reasons we do not give them what we view as worshipful honors. We remain neutral toward all such celebrations. This is in keeping with Jesus’ words regarding his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.”—John 17:16.

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

How about "just come eat some turkey, watch some football and be thankful that we thought of y'all" They may object to saying a prayer with those who don't pray to Jehovah by name

• blondie
    blondie

It is considered a matter of neutrality, a national holiday like the 4th of July in the US, President's Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day.

But I know many jws that get together with friends and eat turkey and or around that day.

*** g76 11/22 p. 13 A National "Day of Thanks"—The Dream and the Reality ***Naturally, many dedicated Christians will not be working secularly on that day. Some may choose to take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy fellowship with family and friends. Yet, what "spirit" will a Christian manifest? It is true that God created turkeys and other foods, so these are not in themselves objectionable. But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

Consider what the apostle Paul says, as recorded in First Corinthians, chapter ten. He reasons that Christians should wisely avoid eating before others a perfectly acceptable food if doing so would stumble them. ‘Respect your brother’s conscience’ is the message.

• BadBettie
    BadBettie

"We don't because you should be thankful, every day and to Jehovah, who does not require a festival"

"Okay Mom can we still have turkey?"

Usually the answer was yes providing there was a sale. We would Joke about "celebrating thanksgiving". Its actually common for that to happen here [eating turkey but not celebrating] I've seen people get crap for doing so in other halls though.

• greenie
    greenie

Blondie, it's stunning to me how easy JWs think it is to stumble other JWs. If they weren't set up to feel that way, they probably wouldn't be susceptible to being "stumbled" in the first place.

MJ - Like Yknot and Blondie, I've heard the nationalistic arguments.

• sir82
    sir82
    But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

Right. As usual, the WTS sets up the cause for stumbling.

No one would have the foggiest notion of being "stumbled" by eating turkey on the fourth Thursday of November, unless the WT planted the idea in their minds in the first place.

• greenie
    greenie

Wow, Sir82, great minds!

• Awen
    Awen

Seems to me there was a WT article last year saying that Thanksgiving has now become a conscience matter, but I have yet to find it online.

Some say Thanksgiving was a pagan holy day, which is absurd. It was a day that two sets of cultures came together to celebrate the peace that existed between them. The First Nations saw it as a strengthening of the bond with their Puritan neighbors and the Puritans obviously saw it as proof of God's blessing that they survived (with the Indians' help) the past year.

I don't recall any mention of pagan gods or such in the celebration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit