I want an avatar!!!

by John Doe 34 Replies latest jw friends

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

ah well got my teeth into photobucket...

lol

• creativhoney
  • creativhoney
  • AwSnap
    AwSnap

It never worked while I was using firefox, but using Internet Explorer, it does. Can't explain it. Are you copying the Direct link on photobucket? and then coming here & clicking on the tree icon?

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    zombie
    Simon writes his own programming. It is a work in progress. Few programs can handle the load this forum needs hence the need to build from scratch. Each upgrade makes things better.

I know its programmed from scratch - my point is there is no point to doing this.

You said "Few programs can handle the load this forum needs" - this is completely false. In fact the opposite is true, this forum can't handle the load and frequently comes up with errors, prewritten solutions like PHPBB and IPS handle large loads much better, there are many forums out there literally 1000 times busier than this that run fine under prewritten forum software.

There are so many features lacking in this forum and bugs it would take years of development to sort them all out. Simon - can't you just switch to a standard forum?

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Yes you are correct. - a browser issue... fangs a lot :D

• Simon
    Simon

The avatar feature will allow you to upload a photo to this site to use BUT it will also support Gravatar images - if you want you can go to http://www.gravatar.com and set that up ready in advance. As long as you use the email you used to register your account on here then that will get picked up.

I know its programmed from scratch - my point is there is no point to doing this.

You said "Few programs can handle the load this forum needs" - this is completely false. In fact the opposite is true, this forum can't handle the load and frequently comes up with errors, prewritten solutions like PHPBB and IPS handle large loads much better, there are many forums out there literally 1000 times busier than this that run fine under prewritten forum software.

There are so many features lacking in this forum and bugs it would take years of development to sort them all out. Simon - can't you just switch to a standard forum?

Actually, the new site will have features that current forum software doesn't - really, there haven't been many advances in the last 10 years and they all use the same tired old format.

As for different packages I have evaluated some and they would have needed a lot more resources to run - both database and web server. My app is designed to be fast and server-friendly because I can't afford to pay a fortune to have multiple servers running it.

I guess you'll just have to wait and see so you can decide for yourself. It shouldn't be too long now - we're doing some testing (mostly on security) and should very soon be able to put the basic folder / topic / search browsing parts up for people to start trying out.

Thank you all for your patience!

• darthfader
    darthfader

Simon,

I actually admire your tenacity to develop this forum "in house". I look forward to seeing your improvements. Have you thought about "open sourcing" the development? Maybe you could get some good input. I know security is one of the hardest things to test for - the developer has a hard time thinking "outside himself" to look for alternate ways to break things.

Darth Fader

(developer for 25+ years).

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Awesome!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Again, I draw all of your attention to the fact that the slug has not been used as a avatar.

Also, again, the is mine.

Night, peoples!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit