Are we saved by WORKS or by FAITH?

by UnDisfellowshipped 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

It's not works.

dgp,

That is not the point. I did not say that faith saves you nor did James. He said faith without works is dead. Maybe it can be understood if we grasp that many who claim to have faith use it like Catholics use a religious relic. They feel protected by such claims but otherwise do as they please and ignore the commandments of Christ.

Joseph

• dgp
    dgp

Yes, faith without works is dead. But works don't save you. Grace and faith do. Works come from the good in your heart, and you do those works for their own sake, not because someone imposes them on you.

Placing magazines because you have to put in your time and get the elders off your back, for example, will not save you.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

you do those works for their own sake, not because someone imposes them on you.

dgp,

That is almost what I was trying to say but there is one exception. The commandments of Christ were imposed upon us and we do what is expected of such a disciple. Otherwise we are just pretending as I stated earlier.

Joseph

• 2aTap
    2aTap

The WTS gives lip service - but only lip service - to those scriptures that describe salvation as being a free gift from God.

However, that continuous stream of counsel from the WTS about "always doing more" could - and usually does - convey an entirely different message to those on the receiving end.

By far the most JWs would argue strongly that salvation is earned by works :

- not surprisingly, given the constant motivational talk from the WTS to get out there and sell more literature!.

In a discussion with anybody that knows anything about the bible, though, the average JW would quickly get tripped up over this point (as I can recall happening to me).

• actage
    actage

this cartoon summarizes my understanding of Works vs grace

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I like that cartoon. Thanks!

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

Faith without works is dead. You might believe, but it is meaningless to believe and not to act upon what you believe. For instance if you believe in GOD but yet do not adhere to His Laws and Principles your faith is worthless.......

t.f.d.s.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Neither.

Isn't having faith in something a kind of work? You're doing something... believing. What if you don't believe? What if you can't believe?

I believe God's going to save us because he loves us and he's good. Not because we're doing something or believing something.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I believe God's going to save us because he loves us and he's good. Not because we're doing something or believing something.

GOD Loves righteousness and Hates badness...........if you are doing bad what is GOD going to think of you? Only the "Righteous" will dwell in The Kingdom of GOD.......

t.f.d.s.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

everyone is "doing bad"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit