How Do Jehovah's Witnesses Feel About Handgun Ownership?

by Cold Steel 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The WT 15 Feb 2006 refers the reader to the 1983 WT that Blondie quotes. I doubt that there has been any noo lite since then.

... A decade later, the July 15, 1983, issue of The Watchtower clarified our position on the use of firearms. These are just some examples of the increasing light in our time....

Note that the 83 WT was "...increasing light in our time..." so it was from God. Watch out ye sinners.

Cheers

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They hate when people defend themselves. It is not enough to ban initiatory force, but they have to go and ban defensive force as well.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I know JWs that own handguns.

If the elders find out about it, and you're not a protected member of the Good 'Ol Boy network, you'll lose your privileges because of it.

Unless. . . you're handgun is for "shooting snakes". Then, you're OK.

• trueblue
    trueblue

My dad always had guns, but as far as how JWs feel about it does not count because my dad was the master of giving a snow job and was in good standing with the JWs in spite it would be rather obvious that he had guns, lots of them, may be more then the local police department. he even manufactured his own guns and amunition, and always had a gun close by. Always

My mother tells this story about when they were in Mississippi out in service with my dad and three other men that looked to here pretty shady, like mafia or some thing, and the trunk of the car was full of guns, then the sheriff pulled them over. My mother said she was terrified, that she thought they were going to get in trouble with the guns, but the sheriff just told them that they have to leave the area. No preaching here...

Being that they were in Mississippi in the 60s, my guess is that the other guys in the car with them were KKK disguised as JWs

• White Dove
    White Dove

Mine'll be for snakes in AZ and anything else that chooses to threaten me and my daughter. I'm going to get training and a permit to carry one concealed.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Despite the overt WTS pressure against, this is really highly dependent on congregation.

Gun ownership is rather common, perhaps even the norm, where my parents are in Arkansas, for example.

Indeed, my parents now own guns.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

How do JW's feel about hunting with a firearm?

• trueblue
    trueblue

How do JW's feel about hunting with a firearm?

The local familly ran congregation were always planning hunting trips, and never did invite me I don't want them any way...

• undercover
    undercover

This is another one of the areas where the Society says one thing but many of the dubs do another.

Owning a gun is a no-no in the eyes of the Society, yet many a brother will justify their decision to own a gun. Many will justify their reason for hunting though the Society has taken a stand against it as well.

I owned guns, though I was never much of a hunter. I actually own fewer guns now than when I was a dub. I rationalized and justified my reasons for owning them though when it came right down to it, I owned them because I wanted to and chose to ignore their counsel.

JWs would make an interesting case study in how they accept the wacko teachings from the Society, actually share in publicizing same teachings and defend the religion to opposers but yet turn right around and ignore the counsel and direction from the very Governing Body they worship, adore and defend.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Owning a gun is a no-no in the eyes of the Society

Let's be more specific: Handguns, for the purpose of self-defense, are frowned upon.

I've never seen anything in print or heard any conversations, indicating that hunting rifles and shotguns are unacceptable to JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit