"Bearing Thorough Witness" book and Jason David BeDuhn quotes

by sd-7 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If I recall correctly, Mr.BeDuhn is an ardent proponent AGAINST Christ's divinity, that is why he was so in favour of the NWT translation of John 1:1 as "a god" over the more widelt accepted "God".

The WT likes to quote Jason in regards to some of his views,of course only the VERY SELECTIVE views are quoted by the WT, the rest as shown by sd-7 are NOT mentioned at all, for obvious reasons.

• peacedog
    peacedog

"This movement [Jehovah's Witnesses] has, unlike the Protestant Reformation, really sought to reinvent Christianity from scratch. Whether you regard that as a good or a bad thing, you can probably understand that it resulted in the Jehovah's Witnesses approaching the Bible with a kind of innocence, and building their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there."

This shows how IGNORANT Beduhn is about the JWs. Only an idiot would make such a blanket statement in the absence of any evidence to support it.

The entire Russell/JW movement was based on Russell's PREDETERMINED views on Christian doctrines such as the Trinity and Hellfire, and the NWT was created for the simple reason of supporting the movements PRETERMINED anti-Christian views.

If I'd had any respect for Beduhn I would have lost it when I read that statement.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Back to the top--one of the few bits of research I did on my own without being prompted by any website or anything. It was nice to order BeDuhn's book and see what he wrote in full context.

Whether you regard that as a good or a bad thing, you can probably understand that it resulted in the Jehovah's Witnesses approaching the Bible with a kind of innocence, and building their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there."

Note that the Society omits the first part in quoting BeDuhn, since it casts doubt on the quote as complimenting JWs. Didn't notice that until just now.

I made two threads on this book, though. Wonder if the second one is worth bouncing up to the top again...

--sd-7

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I am currently reading his book. He quotes from Furulli, so I really have doubts about his book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit