Obama Lifts H.I.V. Ban

by betterdaze 10 Replies latest social current

• betterdaze
    betterdaze
    Obama Lifts a Ban on Entry Into U.S. by H.I.V.-Positive People

By JULIA PRESTON
    Published: October 30, 2009

President Obama on Friday announced the end of a 22-year ban on travel to the United States by people who had tested positive for the virus that causes AIDS, fulfilling a promise he made to gay advocates and acting to eliminate a restriction he said was “rooted in fear rather than fact.”

At a White House ceremony, Mr. Obama announced that a rule canceling the ban would be published on Monday and would take effect after a routine 60-day waiting period. The president had promised to end the ban before the end of the year.

“If we want to be a global leader in combating H.I.V./AIDS, we need to act like it,” Mr. Obama said. “Now, we talk about reducing the stigma of this disease, yet we’ve treated a visitor living with it as a threat.”

The United States is one of only about a dozen countries that bar people who have H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

President George W. Bush started the process last year when he signed legislation, passed by Congress in July 2008, that repealed the statute on which the ban was based. But the ban remained in effect.

It was enacted in 1987 at a time of widespread fear that H.I.V. could be transmitted by physical or respiratory contact. The ban was further strengthened by Congress in 1993 as an amendment offered by Senator Jesse Helms, Republican of North Carolina.

Because of the restriction, no major international conference on the AIDS epidemic has been held in the United States since 1990. Public health officials here have long said there was no scientific or medical basis for the ban.

Under the ban, United States health authorities have been required to list H.I.V. infection as a “communicable disease of public health significance.” Under immigration law, most foreigners with such a disease cannot travel to the United States. The ban covered both visiting tourists and foreigners seeking to live in this country.

Once the ban is lifted, foreigners applying to become residents in the United States will no longer be required to take a test for AIDS.

In practice, the ban particularly affected tourists and gay men. Waivers were available, but the procedure for tourists and other short-term visitors who were H.I.V. positive was so complicated that many concluded it was not worth it.

For foreigners hoping to immigrate, waivers were available for people who were in a heterosexual marriage, but not for gay couples. Gay advocates said the ban had led to painful separations in families with H.I.V.-positive members that came to live in this country, and had discouraged adoptions of children with the virus.

Gay advocates said the ban also discouraged travelers and some foreigners already living in the United States from seeking testing and medical care for H.I.V. infection.

“The connection between immigration and H.I.V. has frightened people away from testing and treatment,” said Rachel B. Tiven, executive director of Immigration Equality, a group that advocates for gay people in immigration matters. She said lifting the ban would bring “a significant public health improvement.”

“Stigma and exclusion are not a sound basis for immigration policy,” Ms. Tiven said.

Senator John Kerry, Democrat of Massachusetts, who led the effort to repeal the ban, said it had now “gone the way of the dinosaur.”

But, Mr. Kerry added, “it sure took too long to get here.”

International health officials said lifting the ban would end a much-criticized inconsistency in United States health policy, with Washington playing a leading role in AIDS prevention in Africa and other countries with severe epidemics, but preserving restrictions that in practice prevented international AIDS researchers and activists from gathering at conferences here.

In 1989, a Dutch AIDS educator, Hans Verhoef, was detained for several days in St. Paul when he tried to attend a conference. Since then, people involved with AIDS issues have not organized meetings here.

“We think this is going to give a very positive image of where the United States is going in terms of eliminating stigma and discrimination in relation to H.I.V.,” Dr. Socorro Gross, assistant director of the Pan American Health Organization, said Friday.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

This is a good thing. HIV is not contagious by incidental contact. This ban was outdated and needed to be ended.

• Robdar
    Robdar

But HIV is still contagious by sexual contact. Do you really think the people with HIV are going to restrain themselves from having sex with our citizens?

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Rob do you think there will be a mass amount of people with HIV trying to come to the US to have sex with our citizens? Come on, we aren't that sexy. The problem doesn't have borders. Its here now and this is not going to increase it. For that matter, people with HIV have safe sex all the time. Its all of our responsibilities to know who we are sleeping with and to use protection.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Rob do you think there will be a mass amount of people with HIV trying to come to the US to have sex with our citizens? Come on, we aren't that sexy.

No, I don't think there will be a mass amount of people with HIV coming to the US to have sex with our citizens. All it takes is a couple of them. And as far as sexiness goes, please speak for yourself. LOL

The problem doesn't have borders. Its here now and this is not going to increase it. For that matter, people with HIV have safe sex all the time. Its all of our responsibilities to know who we are sleeping with and to use protection.

Agreed. The problem doesn't have borders and if you want to have "safe sex" with an HIV positive person, knock yourself out. But the truth is many people don't even know they are carrying a std. And sometimes they don't care if they are or not.

If you missed it earlier this week, you might find the following interesting.

British Backpackers Linked to STD Increase in Australia

October 30, 2009

Recent studies indicate that British backpackers are engaging in risky, promiscuous lifestyles while vacationing in Australia, increasing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

The report, by John Moores University in Liverpool and Australia’s National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, paints a sobering picture.

In the international journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, the study’s British and Australian authors stated, “A survey of more than 1,000 backpackers at hostels in Sydney and the tropical northern mecca of Cairns found that British backpackers often had triple the number of sexual partners they would have normally at home, even if they were not single on arrival. Over a third (39.7 percent) had multiple partners in Australia, increasing to 45.7 percent in those arriving single” (Reuters).

Research found that among vacationing singles, over 40 percent used condoms inconsistently and 24 percent engaged in unprotected sex with multiple partners.

In a separate study conducted in Australia, researchers found that among backpackers, 3.1 percent men and 3.9 percent women had chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease.

Over 700,000 tourists visit Australia each year. Many are backpackers who spend up to a year in the country, with thousands overstaying their visas.

“Immigration Minister Chris Evans says many of those who overstay their visas in Australia are young English lads who are having too good a time” (Daily Telegraph).

http://www.realtruth.org/news/091030-001-society.html

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

50 years ago, people with TB (tuberculosis) were quarantined. I know because my cousins husband was confined to a hospital clinic in Nebraska for one year until they determined him free of TB.

Today, people may look at HIV differently but in some cases it becomes full blown AIDS. I watched a pretty young 30 something girl in my community die from AIDS that she contracted from a dirty needle. A needles loss!

The powers that be have more knowledge about these things. Or at least they should have! But this is just my opinion........enough problems have happened in the U.S. by allowing the free entrance of foreigners with problems.

I vote to NOT let anyone tested HIV positive or any other contagious disease into the country.

On the other hand.....if it were someone dear to me, I'd probably feel quite differently. No matter which way I think, there is always a reasonable alternative to how others may think and feel.

I think I'm getting mellow as I age!

HappyDad

• scotsman
    scotsman
    But the truth is many people don't even know they are carrying a std

Which made the ban pointless plus it was unenforcable as people who are HIV+ don't have it tattooed on them.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you, Mr. President. This was the right decision, IMHO.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Scotsman, you've hit the nail on the head.

Happy Dad, mellow is good!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The bottom line is that you have millions of people at any given time in this country with diseases you don't know about. Tuberculosis has risen steadily and according to reports in the USA, this is a direct result of the number of illegals carrying the disease. As a tourist, you do not have to be tested for TB before you come to the USA - nor measles, nor small pox and probably not Ebola...so there is no way of knowing what any person already has unless you enforce mandatory medical testing just prior to a visit from someone outside the USA. I can't see any reason to uphold a ban on HIV infected persons because it is no more a threat than the other diseases mentioned and unless you are going to ban all those people or start forcing a person to carry a medical report inside their passport, it doesn't make a lot of sense. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit