Question about how and when to share your views.

by paul from cleveland 23 Replies latest jw friends

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

If you had a close relative or friend that told you they were getting baptized as a JW, would you try to influence their decision or just let it go. My sister told me recently that she is getting baptized. I'm undecided about what to do... if anything. She said she'll "still talk to me" even if she gets baptized but I'm sure that won't happen since my brother is a very 'by the book' elder and will reign her in. I think that I should speak now or forever hold my peace. I don't want to unduly influence her, but perhaps just share a few points to present a little more balanced view of what she's really getting in to. What would you do?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hmmmmm. Tough one.

Did she ask you what you thought about her getting baptized? If she didn't I would hold my peace. If she did I would tell her how I felt. Still, be careful of how you express yourself. JWs have a way of twisting words and using them against you. If she tells your brother what you said, he might do that. OTOH, maybe you should follow your gut.

(((((Paul))))) I hope it goes well.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Yes, she did ask me what I think about it. I told her I would support her decision whatever that is. But that doesn't mean I can't still share a few other thoughts. She's not much of a student, so she's not going to read books with an opposing view.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Let me ask this question another way:

If you had a friend getting baptized, what are the first 3 (simple) points you'd share with them? (or questions to ask them a la Reasoning Book style)

• mouthy
    mouthy

I would tell them what you have found out. BUT you will lose all the family & friends
    I wish someone had told me BEFORE I got dunked. It was many,many years AFTER
    I was kicked out.... my Christian Uncle said he felt so sorry for me when I used to preach
    about the WT. But he didnt want rain on my parade...If only he knew by getting dunked
    I was dying to myself. HE should have shared his veiw

Also the WT would hold my kids hostage

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

don't want to unduly influence her, but perhaps just share a few points

Paul,

You do want to unduly influence her and quick. Otherwise is could cost her life and for what? Watchtower stupidity. Sad that so few have the capability to do this even after being involved all their lives. And the reason is they really learned anything of substance. They never really learned what the scriptures were telling them. But to protect her now and in the future, you have no choice but to intervene, after all they did. No one else is going to do this for her so be strong and stop feeling sorry for yourself and how you will be treated. The are going to cut you out anyway if they can.

Joseph

• Robdar
    Robdar

Do you mind telling us how old your sister is?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I would speak up now and at the very least tell her what your fears are for her subjecting her life to this organization . Expalin to her that she may think she will always keep an open relationship with you ,but the reality is that after she is baptised the Elders have more influence over her life . They will pressure her to conform to the "rules" .

• paul from cleveland
  • Robdar
    Robdar

50? Wow. Do you know what caused her, at this point in her life, to become infatuated enough to want to be baptized?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit