what level of movies would you watch when a jw

by rockmehardplace 17 Replies latest jw friends

• bigwilly
  • Casper
    Casper

PG-13, never watched R... as some in our cong. were counseled for it many times, and we always had to hear the talks about it.

Took me awhile to catch up on all the movies that I missed during my 13 years of being a witness....

"Fun Times"

Cas

• villabolo
    villabolo

I watched Dawn of the Dead with my JW friend. I was foolish enough to mention it to another friend who in turn snitched to the elders. That elder gave both of us some counseling which included some inane remarks like, "do you know that those dead people were played by live actors?" My friend, whom I had watched the movie with, told me never to say anything to anyone even if we were watching Bambi. I also watched Aliens and kept quiet.

villabolo

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

PG13 was the worst. Never R.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would watch movies that had minimal profanity (they might say the S- word, indistinctly, a time or two), or that were of an adult nature but touched on worldly problems and reality. That usually meant PG. Usually, I watched them on TV via HBO or the Disney channel.

Even some G movies were off limits, because they dealt with magic. Escape to Witch Mountain, rated G, was about psychics who were being exploited (and featured use of psychic powers). Sleeping Beauty, also rated G, was about magic and witchcraft being used to cast spells. Definitely, both were viewed as off limits while I was a witless.

These days, I watch whatever I damn well feel like watching. And, I haven't had a problem with any demons.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Watched anything and everything, and loved it. When 16-18 would get together with other "witnesses" and watch XXX, and loved it. No wonder I am sick and perverted, and HAPPY!

• inbetween
    inbetween

my choice of movies was my own criteria, most movies I had no problem with, just very brutal or pron movies I avoid.

however, I keep it to myself, my wife and very close friends, what I watch,

one time I got almost in trouble for stumbling somebody, since then I`m very careful,

First time I heard of the general rule of not watching r-rated movies was from American brothers..its not so strict in Europe I think.

With one exception: I heard of a case, where an elder was removed for allowing his son watching "Lord of the rings"

well, I watched them several times,and have all the dvds, love them...

• AMomentWeBothKnew
    AMomentWeBothKnew

I watched R-rated movies all the time, but never told anyone about it. I went to see Gladiator at the theater and casually mentioned it to a friend who was not hung up on things like that. I remember telling him to see how he would react, which he didn't. Another time, about a year before the above incident, I ran into a sister at Blockbuster video. It was kind of awkward. She was around 50 or so at the time, and although she was single, and not an elder's wife or anything, she was respected in the congregation. If I recall correctly, she had asked me for a recommendation, and I happened to recommend The Insider. It was R-rated, but for language, as I recall. I don't think she knew it was R-rated, and if she did, she didn't act like it. Nothing happened as a result of this encounter.

But like I said, I watched R-rated movies from the time I was a kid until I left. I never told anyone, including my parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit