Anyone seen Gran Torino?

by John Doe 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

'off fighting a war.'

Yabbut, how many yrs was that? Not the whole kids' lives. It's a cop out.

It appears that walt was a an all american regular guy. I actually liked his interactions w his buddy. However, as far as his own kids went, he was clueless. So, he reaped what he sowed in his kids. It illustrates well the imaturaty of american culture, where kids basically blunder their way to adulthood. They are at the mercy of whatever are the current fads. Older, traditional societies have various rites of passage that kids go through. While that had been lost somewhat by the hmong in the movie, their family structure was still more intact than walter's was. He must have given up, early on, or never had a clue, to start w. For whatever reason, he was a failure w his family.

The hmong even had their own shaman. He was also cast as being superior than the american equivalent, the priest. They put in a young, inexperienced priest, compared to the old, wise shaman. Slanted, slanted movie.

S

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I hate that Clint is getting old. I hate that all my heroes are getting old. Because that means I AM. Clint you rock baby. "Make my day!"

• jefpainthorse
    jefpainthorse

Walts kids and grandkids are dead ringers for the whiney assed entilted people who were fed by the Auto-Steel-Industrial juggernaugt of the 50's and 70's then let it slip through their fingers.

Walt... I bet I know a 1000 hard assed guys like him. Nose to the wheel and you die at the end. Never asked for much and gave way more than they were payed back for. Men like that are what this country was built on.

I'd have left a bag of stale chips for my grandkids... and less to my son's if they were anything like those represented in the script.

Over all.... 2 thumbs up as a film... 10 stars as an American story. If you didnt learn something from this about integrity you were not paying attention.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Great movie.....

HappyDad

• dinah
    dinah
    Never asked for much and gave way more than they were payed back for. Men like that are what this country was built on

Yep.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i saw it with my then 17 YO son...

we enjoyed it immensely!!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Loved this movie!

I grew up with many men around me similar to Clint Eastwood's character. They fought in wars, came home and had to fight to make a living. They came from hard nosed fathers who were working to get this country started. Their sons, did the same, and had it a slight bit easier but not much.

There was no room for "feelings" etc. everyone pulled their weight and you were not special because you did what you were suppose to do.

Think of the BS going on now. Pretty women are entertainment demanding attention because of the way they look, or they can get their bodies deformed with surgery demanding even more attention, paid for by their rich sugar daddy's. Self centered, never working, fools, who will soon be old and wrinkled, whining about their lot in life.

This is exactly what Eastwoods character was fighting, he rewarded the younger version of those who struggled.

just my 2 cents.

r.

• dinah
    dinah

They just don't make men like they used to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit