what did you do after leaving or separating from JW's in regards to religion?

by kriptonian7 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

at the moment I find I quite enjoy "calling up" various archetypal figures like Athene, Jesus, Mary, Jehovah, Demeter etc and then I wait to see how they manifest. (but not at the same time of course )

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The first thing I did was dispose of JW literature a little at a time. Certain things I tore to shreds in anger, like an autographed song book from one of the anointed. When I learned all the scandals and saw through the whole charade I felt angry and stupid to keep this 'memento'.

Secondly, I reveled in the feeling of freedom and sleeping late on weekends which is a much needed luxury. I wanted to deprogram my mind of all their teachings. I read a lot of novels and other books. I went out and bought a rosary because I was angry that I was urged to throw away the ones I had from childlhood. I also bought a bible, not just because I wasn't sure if I was going to investigate anything else but because I wanted something contemporary that wasn't a NWT. To be honest, I don't read it and have come to the conclusion that I am not interested in any religion.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i stopped confusing religiosity with spirituality

i involved myself in genuine charitable works
    and continue to look for opportunities to make
    real contributions to the whole of mankind....
    not just "the approved" forms

i wont wrap myself in the atheist label... yet...
    so i settle for saying i am a sentimental diest...
    because i have spent a half century believing
    there is a reason for religion and there is a
    vestigial attachment to the notion....

• kriptonian7
    kriptonian7
    Its an education attending different Church services, some you will like and others you won't. They come in all flavors, from the serene and inspirational to the shocking. Its a journey, take your time.

i attended a couple of huge baptist services with my Ex (before she was) After her dad died she all of the sudden became religios. It was the most uncomfortable thing i had encountered in a while. I was not sure if it was due to the fact i was an EX jw in a Church listening to a sermon, or if it was the way the held their hands in the air closed their eyes or held their chest while they sang...maybe it was the random "AMEN!"s that were shouted from time to time and the "Hallelujah"!!

the whole thing seemed very over done and creepy if you ask me

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I ended up tossing out the bible and reaching farther back to my pagan roots. It just feels right for me. I think everyone has to figure it out for themselves one way or another. Just don't let someone else tell you how to believe. Right now I take the good from various sources and then live my life accordingly, tossing the rest. I don't believe anyone owns truth.

Ada

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I agree with Blondie and Finally Free: don't jump into anything just for change's sake. Take time to get aquainted with your real self again, to find out what you really believe and what's important to you. Then take a good long look at any group you consider joining, see if their creed is what you really believe and the way you really want to live your life. Resist the temptation to make a quick committment to any congregation, proceed at your own pace and join only when you know it's the right one to follow.

This takes effort, no doubt about it. Beware of any group offering a quick and easy solution to your problems, if you'll just let them do all the thinking for you. You've been through that once, don't be fooled again!

Good luck!

--GLT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit