"What should you do when directed to stop preaching?" KM question box

by slimboyfat 14 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

but my point is, it is a far cry

Agreed, it is a far cry from the old days.

They remind me of a monster, evolving and adapting to SURVIVE whatever conditions they meet on the ground.

-LWT

• TheSheppard
    TheSheppard

You misunderstood the instruction. The article is instructing what to do if we are asked to leave a territory or an apartment complex. Of course we have the right to preach, but it is wiser to peacefully and tactfully leave and try again another day. If they tried to ban us from ever going to a certain territory, then it would be a different story.

We had a problem with a police officer that came to our service group and told us that we were not allowed to knock on doors without a permit. We were polite and complied with his request for that morning. Now that was different than telling us to leave for the day because someone called in a complaint. We contacted the legal department and I don't know what they said or what they told the police department. All I know, is we received a letter about a month later from the Branch telling us that the matter was settled and we also received a letter from the Chief of Police apologizing for the incident and letting us know that we do not need a special permit to do our evangelizing.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I agre with TheSheppard on this one. They have a legal precedence to do their door to door nonsense. They will not relinquish this...but are simply told to not let it become an issue if asked to leave- and handle it thru the WT desiganted channel

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

What happened to having faith in Jehovah that he would stand behind his people? I thought Jehovah would be proud if his people stand up when they're faced with persecution. Perhaps children should just stand up and sing with the rest of the class when the national anthem comes on, simply because they were asked to.

The WTS is becoming a shell of it's former self. They seem to be doing a slow transformation into a mainstream religion. If they got rid of disfellowshipping and started celebrating holidays, they may be able to keep more members.

• JWoods
    JWoods

As far back as the 1960s, we were basically told to obey the orders of a policeman, move away (to another territory if possible), and then let the legal people take it up if it became pervasive. Getting arrested was not suggested.

Green River Ordinance was challenged in court because the WTS of the 1940s was adamant that they did not have to buy a peddlar's license. The WTS basically ignores the fact that the supreme court ruling allowing religious and political public work was a constitutional judgement about not suppressing religious or political speech. For the WT - it was all about them.

I have the distinct idea that not enough real door-to-door preaching/selling goes on nowadays to bother the police very much. We see more people selling popular magazines, girls scout cookies, or electrical company/phone service/cable TV alternative plans than JWs now.

The only JWs I have seen in a long time is the vietnamese people who have kept our house on their list because of Mai's last name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit