I did a simple experiment the other day and I got the results today! :D

by Elsewhere 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was popping some "Original" Orville Redenbacher Popcorn (popped in a pot, not the microwave) the other day and I started wondering if one could grow corn by planting the popcorn kernels. The point of the experiment was to determine if the kernels (corn seeds) had somehow been "deactivated" to prevent people from growing their own popcorn.

I got a plastic cup and some potting soil and put a few kernels in... watered... and waited.

Today I have some corn sprouts in the kitchen!

Next corn season I'll plant a few in the back yard to see if the sprouts will mature and produce popcorn.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool. Are you going to tell orville? I wonder if i could raise some chiclkens from those eggs? Broen eggs, brown chickens. White eggs, white chickens.

S

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I wonder if i could raise some chiclkens from those eggs?

Hell... stick one in the ground and see what happens!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Elsewhere,

I'll just say that I have a lot of popcorn memories.

If you want to try growing it, you could easily grow the Orville seed, but since it's a hybrid, the results can be unpredictable. That's where the deactivation is with commercially grown stuff. The children won't necessarily be like the parents. Instead, you could shop around for 'heirloom' popcorn seed. It's not hybridized, so you know what to expect. There are lots of varieties. I like a white seed that pops smaller, crunchier, more flavorful, but it gets kinda stale if it sits around long. Popcorn is available in lots of colors, similar to decorative "Indian Corn", but they pop white with a dark hull. Different looking, not better tasting though.

And don't plant popcorn around other corn, especially sweetcorn. If they pollinate at the same time, both crops can be ruined by swapping genes. The plants need to dry down before you pick the ears or they will mold if too wet. Popcorn is hard to shell, that is, get the kernels off the corncobs. Unless you have equipment for the job, your best bet is to rub two ears together. Just a suggestion, do this over a sheet to catch as many of the flying seeds as you can. And the popcorn usually needs to be below freezing for a few days before it will pop very well. It's something with the starch and moisture inside.

Just to warn you, here's the typical reaction to growing your own... "I did all this work, and this little container is all the yield I got? Crap!" But, I would recommend trying it at least once. Things like this can make for interesting conversations.

I wouldn't grow potatoes either, too much hassle. However, there are still lots of other things to grow yourself.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

• villabolo
    villabolo

You might also sprout the kernels (remember to change the water frequently) and eat them like that.

villabolo

• moshe
    moshe

It is probably a hybrid variety- which means it won't be the same at maturity as the original- but maybe good enough.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I tried them one year and they grew ok, but I couldn't get them to pop nicely. I wondered if my problem was moisture content, but nothing I tried worked.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

There was a special on the Discovery channel or TLC a few months ago about popcorn and potato chips. Before that I never knew there was a different corn for popcorn. That explains why, when years ago, I tried to make my own popcorn it didn't work.

Let us know how it turns out.

• nelly136
    nelly136

peanuts in their cases make really pretty plants if you can get them to grow.

ive managed to get lychee pips and a mango seed (after many tries) to throw a shoot, unfortunately the dog chomped it.

the coconut i buried just grew grass tho.

avacado pips grow quite nicely...they just take a whiles

orange and lemon pips have grown (gave those to a neighbour years back and last i saw of them before she died they were well over 6 foot)

tried tobacco seeds this year, but i forgot them on top of the cupboard, oh well maybe next year lol

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hell... stick one in the ground and see what happens!

Hey, how deep are you supposed to plant eggs, Elsie? Mine didn't sprout at all and I planted them at about three inches. Very disappointing.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit