Article by LDS Writer

by purplesofa 17 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Thank you- I, too always question the veracity of articles that you can't verify the source. LDS, JW's and other operate on the laws of chance when they go preaching- in any given day somebody has prayed to God for help and then the doorbell rings- what religion they become depends on who gets to their door first.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I rather doubted that an LDS writer would write something praising jws. On the other hand, the missionaries I have talked to seem to be interested in certain details in order to get "baptized for the dead".

SusanHere, does this really happen and exactly what is the purpose of getting baptized for the dead?

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Easy Susanhere - I think everyone here realizes that the LDS is a mind control cult just like the WTS. Given that, I agree with your assessment that this is probably fake. No cult wants to give credit to another cult for being better at recruitment!

One Jehovah's Witness friend of mine mentioned not long ago that he had never completed college, but that he felt that he had learned many college-level items by reading Awake! over the course of his life.

LOLOLOLOLOL - Dead giveaway that the writer was a JW. Seriously, who the hell would say that to a coworker?? "yes Bob, instead of spending 4 years at Harvard partying and fornicating, I received my higher education via the Awake magazine". Come on man!

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I'm sure the usual posters will flame away, but hopefully a few will appreciate this small effort at clarification.
    Good luck and God bless,
    SusanHere, LDS now and forever

I know I appreciate it. Thank you.

• wobble
    wobble

Retention rate of JW'S ?

They baptise about 5000 a week,worldwide, and 800 a week are leaving.

On those figures the retention rate is not as good as the article suggested,but not bad enough for the GB to do anything about it.

The problem that is building up is that those 800 are mainly in the West, where the donations come from.

If I was of the GB I would be trying to think of some way of fixing the hole in the bottom of the bucket.

Love

Wobble

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear SusanHere,

I don't know who wrote the article.

All I wanted to say to you is that I've always liked LDS, even as a JW for many decades. I liked to see them preaching to others while I was doing the same on the other side of the street. We used to smile at one another and I really felt love for them in my heart. I never felt they were "competing" with me for converts.

And they topped off my good impression of them when they came to our door to preach to us (that was on one of my visits to California). Two such well-mannered good-looking young men! Nobody had ever made the effort to pay me a free visit to talk to me about their beliefs and I appreciated that very, very much. We had them in and I listened to them with interest. Sorry to say, I found their ideas extremely far-fetched, but that didn't matter to me: what counted was their intention, and I thanked them for their time and effort. (I want to clarify that at this point in my life I also find some of our doctrines as improbable and forced as yours sounded to me back then, so please don't take offence).

I'm happy I've had a chance to say this to one of you.

Best wishes.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

choosinglife

SusanHere, does this really happen and exactly what is the purpose of getting baptized for the dead?

A few years ago the Mormons had someone "baptized" for Hitler.

See: http://www.nowscape.com/mormon/hitler_temple_records.htm

• WayneA
    WayneA

Based on an internet search this information appears to be from the Cumorah.com website (http://pbsa.jwmail.com/news/041108.pdf ) which is no longer online. It has been taken down for some reason.

The Google cached version is here:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:GMvkGHu9GDsJ:www.cumorah.com/%3Ftarget%3Dmain%26wid%3D33+who+is+www.cumorah.com/&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

According to publically avaiable information at http://whois.domaintools.com/cumorah.com the site belongs to David Stewart.

Registrant:
    Stewart, David
    Medical Charity
    28089 Pine Drive
    Evergreen, CO 80439
    US

Domain Name: CUMORAH.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Stewart, David [email protected]
    Medical Charity
    28089 Pine
    Evergreen, CO 80439
    US
    (303) 670-1375 fax: (303)670-1375

Record expires on 31-Oct-2014.
    Record created on 01-Nov-1998.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.SERVER784.NET
    NS2.SERVER784.NET

On of Mr. Stewart’s other websites is LDSTeachMail.com and its home page states:

LDSTeach.com is the largest collection of Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching resources for Latter-day Saints on the Internet.”

It is safe to say that he either is or supports the Mormons.

It helps to do a little research before commenting - doesn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit