For Snowbird....

by avishai 11 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
  • avishai
    avishai

bttt

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can't view videos at work, don't have a home computer, so please help me out here.

What is it?

Sylvia

• Newborn
    Newborn

It's a song - Southern Rock - I like - great lyrics!

You'll have something to look forward too dear

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, Newborn.

Sylvia

• avishai
    avishai

It's southern Rock about Alabama, specifically, I'm interested to hear your take on the song, Sylvia.

• avishai
    avishai

if you want, you can pm me your email and I'll send you the mp3 as an attachment.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Avi, I won't be able to play it at work.

Could you post the lyrics?

Sylvia

• avishai
    avishai

This is as close as i could find, it won't let me cut and paste..

http://www.lyricsdir.com/drive-by-truckers-the-three-great-alabama-icons-lyrics.html

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well, where do I begin?

I notice the recurrent theme of the duality of the Southern Experience is woven throughout the lyrics.

I've seen Whites and Blacks live side by side without any rancor whatsoever. For example, when I was a little shaver, a White family of five lived up the road from us. The mother allowed my mother to milk one of her two cows. On the other hand, a Black family of two lived down the road from us with about 6 cows. No cow nor any of the milk was offered to us. The lady of the house chose, instead, to feed it to her pigs and dogs!

When Wallace was defeated in 1958, he vowed he would not be "out-niggered" again. He remained true to his vow, running on a staunch segregationist platform in 1962. Yet, he also vowed that if he won the election, he would see to it that all Alabama schoolchildren received free textbooks. He delivered on that promise, and for that, my late mother went to her grave praising him.

If anyone said anything bad about George Corley Wallace, she would be ready to smite them hip and thigh!

Such is Alabama.

I'll have to tune in to one of the country rock stations and give the song a listen. Thanks for hearing me out.

Sylvia

PS: On the other hand, I've also witnessed some ugly incidents between the races.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit