This atheist may just have found room for god. Honestly.

by nicolaou 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

However it happened - here we are! Intelligent life exists in the Universe in the form of humankind. Often brutal, commonly mediocre but occasionally brilliant and capable of incredible love and kindness. And we are intelligent.

So here's my dilemma. If, as an atheist, I am forced to accept that the Universe gave birth to intelligent life on Earth shouldn't I be prepared to accept that intelligent life - godlike life - might also have arisen elsewhere in this incredible Universe?

Of course, all that would mean is that god arrived at existence via the same natural forces that brought us humans into being. The form of 'god's' existence and intelligence may well be different from ours and I might have to accept that 'he' could be much more powerful and long-lived than I am, perhaps even that he seems eternal and that his perception has infinite range so that he would appear omnipresent. Perhaps some humans could tap into his consciousness through some mental discipline that some call prayer or meditation. Spooky!

Yes, I might have to accept the possibility that a 'god' exists.

But this just throws up a hundred new questions each needing their own time and space to grow. If the Universe did indeed produce godlike intelligence then I'd like to meet it. I wouldn't worship it, it would only be my brother after all - a child of the universe just as I am.

Nic'

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't some "Star Trek" episodes deal with this?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Bookmarked for comment later.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Nicolaou said:

If the Universe did indeed produce godlike intelligence then I'd like to meet it. I wouldn't worship it, it would only be my brother after all - a child of the universe just as I am.

I like this very much. I do not "worship" a god... a loving omnipotent god would have no need of worship, and would certainly not demand it. To demand worship is petty and needy. Rather, I communicate... and yes, I do feel I have a "personal" relationship... indeed, that it is part of me.

Admitting that one does not know is better than convincing oneself that one knows... whether one believes in an existance or not. Questions are good.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the quick romp 'round the Universe Nic.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Admitting that one does not know is better than convincing oneself that one knows... whether one believes in an existance or not. Questions are good.

Eloquently stated. ~polite golf clap~

• parakeet
    parakeet

Atheists are usually not opposed to the possibility of God; they just don't find the "evidence" supplied by believers to be convincing.

If convincing evidence should turn up, I'll be the first in line to shake hands with God and admit to him/her/it that I was wrong.

• besty
    besty

I guess we moderns could exercise god-like power over the Bronze Age tribesmen that wrote the Bible were we to co-exist, so in that sense an unknown technology could reasonably exercise similar power over us today.

Is it reasonable to conclude that should such an advanced entity already exist in the infinitesimally small space/time window we occupy that we would have had a consumption or communication episode? Yes I think so - therefore they probably do not exist. <sound familiar here>

Is it reasonable to conclude we humans will in the future extend our intelligence into and beyond the known universe - yes IMHO. We are the proto-gods you seek Nicolau - bow down ye unbelievers :-)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    We are the proto-gods you seek Nicolau - bow down ye unbelievers :-)

Paul, try this topic I started an hour ago; I AM GOD

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Along these same lines, *we* may appear god-like to a less advanced civilization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit