What nearly one year of dating has taught me

by Newborn 22 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

There isn't a JW who leaves (esp if they were born ins or baptized as teens) that don't have to go through a learning curve in almost all aspects of life.

There are no failures, just lessons to be learned. And no one learns anything sitting at home waiting for life, love, and happiness to find them.

Every X-JW should spend a long period of time being single (casually dating) and forming their own strong identity, likes, dislikes and life experiences. Most leave the Org with the tendency to define themselves through their relationships with others. This is not healthy and it will destroy good relationships.

I don't know what "long time" means, but I agree with this statement in principle.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I agree completely! I wish I knew that principle when I was single.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I'm happy for you! I, too, met my boyfriend online (he lives close by and we met in person right away). We've been together a year next month. I hope to start a family, too. But both of us are going back to school now, so it may be a few years before we can live together and get married, let alone start having kids. So I'll probably be somewhere in my early thirties when I begin.

They say that love happens to you when you're not looking for it. I couldn't wrap my mind around that as a JW because you couldn't date casually and if a guy was actually interested in you then you had to pounce on it and hope for marriage. Once I had the opportunity to just DATE I just wanted to have fun for a little while. I contacted my BF because it seemed like he would be some short-term fun. To my surprise he turned out be awesome long-term material.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit