Just read one of them 'apocryphal books'

by sd-7 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Are there any websites that have these books for download ? and specific translations that are recommended ?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Old public-domain translations for much of the literature can be found here:

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/

Bear in mind that many of these translations are antiquated and may not be up-to-date.

Tobit and 1 Maccabees are in the Apocrypha and thus can be found in any recent Bible translation that includes the Apocrypha.

The two-volume set by Charlesworth of the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha is still the premier go-to source for translations of the pseudepigrapha. However, I am partial to the very recent and reliable translation of 1 Enoch published by George Nickelsburg and James C. VanderKam. It is a very inexpensive slim volume and can easily be got from Amazon. The translation of the Assumption of Moses by Johannes Tromp in his critical edition and commentary is also preferred by me, although this book is far too expensive and technical for the average reader.

As for the Dead Sea Scrolls, the two leading translations are the collections by Michael O. Wise, Martin G. Abegg, Edward M. Cook (in one volume) and Garcia Martinez (in two volumes). The latter is a study edition containing the Hebrew/Aramaic texts, and thus is more expensive. Both both translations are worth consulting for those with more serious interests, especially in difficult fragmentary passages which could be read in different ways, but the cheaper volume by Wise et al. should meet the needs of the layperson.

As regards the apostolic fathers, Michael Holmes' one-volume collection (with both Greek and English translation) is handy and reliable. It should also be easily available on Amazon.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thank you as always Leo :)

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Here is a link that contains the writings of the early church fathers: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Catholic New American Bible (NAB) with vast notes and info. Cheap paperback addition. Don't always agree with their translation, but you'll never look at Christianity the same reading this book and the accompanying notes.

Contains ie. Tobit, Baruch, 1 and 2 Macabees, Wisdom and Sirach....

http://144000.110mb.com/144000/index.html#intro

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

Certainly true. In the past the WT society frequently cited the Jerusalem Bible, in particular some of its footnotes. So I decided to get one, but that time the New Jerusalem Bible was already available. I still have it, a nicely bound edition with lots of background information and footnotes and the standard apocryphal books. For any JW, it would be quite beneficial to read also other footnotes of this one, not just those picked by the society (like I first did ). The story will look quite different and the development of the canon and the major doctrines of christianity become transparent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit