Death: Friend or Foe?

by Narkissos 86 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Narkissos,

I read a book a few weeks ago that made a similar argument about music: it's the passage of time, the change it produces, and the fact that it will end that makes music beautiful and compelling; and the same applies to life in general. The book was The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts. Have you heard of that? He says the 'secret' to life is not to strive for security because we will never find it anyway; better just to experience reality as it is, enjoy it as it happens. Easier said than done I say. If Aubrey de Grey turns out to be onto something I wouldn't say "no thanks", though as I said, I don't rate humanity's chances of success at reaching immortality, at least not while I am still alive. Do you reject the pursuit of a longer life span for yourself alone as a personal preference, or do you think the project is immoral as some do, and would you go so far as to the oppose the right of others to pursue it if they wish?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    not to strive for security because we will never find it anyway; better just to experience reality as it is, enjoy it as it happens

Upon quick reflection, I would say that one can experience/enjoy reality, while not viewing death as a 'friend'. Does that make sense?

Personally, I have indeed found that reality can be overwhelmingly awesome. Moreso than any hope of a Paradise, certainly.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Upon quick reflection, I would say that one can experience/enjoy reality, while not viewing death as a 'friend'. Does that make sense?

Yeah I agree with you. Change is surely what makes life so much fun, but why should that constant change have to result in death? I keep thinking about my wife's grandmother. She is in her late 70s and fit for her age and she has good fun getting about places. I want to us to move to Vienna so we can be with my wife's grandmother and her parents while they are still alive and in good health. I miss my own granda too. It is such a shame that it has to be over so soon. I don't see anything vivifying in death at all. It is not my friend.

Personally, I have indeed found that reality can be overwhelmingly awesome. Moreso than any hope of a Paradise, certainly.

Not paradise or everlasting life as the Witnesses envisage it anyway. Life without believing the Witness ideology is in some ways better and some ways worse I find. I do miss Jehovah a bit.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Since nobody actually knows what happens at/after death, I'll find out when I get there

Not friend or foe, but an eventuality that needs to be accepted at some point.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

When our time comes, may this be the dirge that rings true about each and one of us, that we did it "My Way":

el final se acerca ya
    lo esperare serenamente
    ya ves que yo he sido así
    te lo diré sinceramente
    viví la inmensidad
    sin conocer jamás fronteras
    jugue sin descansar y
    a mi manera.

jamás viví un amor
    que para mí fuera,fuera importante
    tomé sólo la flor
    y lo mejor de cada instante
    viajé y disfruté
    no se si más, que otro cualquiera
    si bien todo esto fue
    a mi manera.

tal vez lloré, tal vez reí
    tal vez gané o tal vez perdí
    ahora sé que fui feliz
    que si lloré también amé
    puedo seguir hasta el final
    a mi manera.

quizás tambien dude
    cuando yo mas me divertia
    quizás yo desprecie
    aquello que yo no comprendia
    hoy se que firme fui
    y que afronte ser como era
    y asi logre vivir a mi manera.

porque sabrás que un hombre al fin
    conocerás por su vivir
    no hay porque hablar, ni que decir
    ni recordar, ni que fingir
    puedo seguir hasta el final
    a mi manera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhkNyaUYtQ

Ou est vous, Didier? Comment ca va?

BTS

• free @ last
    free @ last

bumping

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Dony you think that Apostler pauls words about death as "Anadversary an Enemy" has a lot to do with his jewish background?

The Semitic Cultures tnd to think in absolutes. Big Small. Good Bad. LOve Hate. Light HEavy. Everlasting Temporary. Almighty Weak.

Something is valuable if it is heavy mighty and noticed by many people.

Things that are small, impermanent, and despised by the majority are not valuable.

Death is therefore an enemy because it renders men like the "grass that withers". The fact that it regrows every year, as lovely and green as before, is of no import. In a religion with a majorly egotistic self aggrandising god, men are rendered valueless, because they cannot live from time indefinite to time indefinite.

Notice that only other egos count - at no point does the religion point out that death is an enemy to the animals they kill for food, not to mention the poor little prey animals who dont even get to live out their full alloted span.

Who was it wrote: "the mind which renounces one and forever a futile hope, has its compensation in growing forever calm."

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit