I knew this day would come

by Girlie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

Just when I thought I could be successful in my fade and out of the radar, an elder from my old congregation has started the search and rescue mission on me. He and his wife came to my parents' home yesterday looking for me. Thank God I wasn't there. He then started calling me. He left a message yesterday and he called me earlier today. I ignored the calls so far. This is a bit hurtful for me to do because I like this particular elder. However, I need time to think about my response to him and to put somethings in perspective for myself. So much has happened to me lately and I don't need any guilt trips from this cult to further complicate matters. Eventually, I going to have to face the music and deal with them.

While I know I have no real desire to return, I am not quite ready to part ways. I still have yet to really do much research so I can be more assured and informed of my decision and there is the matter of my parents and a few friends. I don't want to feel like I am hiding, but I don't want to incriminate myself too soon either. I believe I know what to say to keep them at bay. Whatever it maybe, I want to convey to them that I just want to be left alone.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Eventually, I going to have to face the music and deal with them.

Maybe this is the time? Look at it this way - it is most probably NOT going to come as that big a shock to them.

• snowbird
    snowbird

My 20-year old college daughter is still in, so I'm not quite ready to DA yet.

I had a nervous breakdown in 2005, so I milk that for all it's worth.

I suggest you tell them you're depressed, feel worthless, etc.

That will should buy you a little time.

The best to you, girlfriend.

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Please go here and read a brief introduction to two helpful books that you might enjoy:

http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4992

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Whatever the case, you don't need to do anything.......neither face the music, or deal with them. They will use conversations with you to draw out any disagreements to any teachings from the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Once they have your true feelings on things they will use it against you. This is my experience and that of my husband when we both received 'shepherding calls' to 'help' us with our doubts. Fortunately we recorded every visit if you care to listen and see how they bait you to answer their questions but how they refuse to answer yours. All recordings are in threads started by Hoboken.

Hobo Ken
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Seems to me that a simple letter, card or text to this elder...politely thanking him but asking to be left a while longer to think things through - should suffice.

Make it plain though that you are not available right now and will contact him when ready. If he should persist, you have every right then to refuse to see him. Meanwhile keep coming here and learn all that there is to learn ...

• chickpea
    chickpea

make an appointment
    and then cancel it...

rinse, repeat

he will grow weary of
    your "lack of spirituality"

• Girlie
    Girlie

JWoods: Perhaps, but not quite ready to do it yet. All in due time. I am sure it won't be much of a shock to them. I used to hear that as many as 40,000 + leave the borg every year.

Snowbird: Sorry to hear that had happened to you, but good to see you still standing strong and thanks for the encouragement girlfriend!

Leavingwt: Thanks for the post and will take a look at it.

Iknowall558: Going to listen to the recordings when I get home from work.

BluesBrother: Good suggestion. Thanks for it.

Chickpea: Sounds like a good idea. I just know I am not one to go through the motions even if I can derive a mild pleasure of pissing a person off.

• the real life
    the real life

Hi Girlie,

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I hadn't been going to meetings for awhile and an elder I really liked (a long-time friend of the family) kept trying to contact me. I felt bad ignoring him, but I basically just kept telling him I was going through a lot and wasn't ready to talk about it. Eventually I did talk to him privately since he was a friend of the family. I was pretty honest about all my doubts. I'm not sure what he said to the other elders, but no one tried to contact me after that. I wasn't disfellowshipped. I think that was a rare situation, though. In any case, I think if you politely put off the discussion, you should be fine. You don't owe anything to them, so don't let them have any more control over your life. Take your time and don't say anything that could put you in an awkward situation until you feel you are ready. I did the same with friends - I told them that I had some doubts, but that I didn't want to discourage them, so I'd rather not talk about it.

Hang in there!

• greenie
    greenie

Holy crap! I am listening to Hobo Ken's hearing. This is INTENSE!! No wonder all of you guys want to avoid these things like the plague. What a high control group! Too bad more can't hear this. WOW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit