How to loose a customer in two emails

by Elsewhere 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Today I noticed my personal website was hacked again. Over the last year my site has been hacked by several different worms that try to infect your web browser when you view my site.

These hacks are all the result of poor security measures and a gross lack of applying security patches to the hosting server.

Today I had enough and emailed my hosting company to let them know that, once again, my site was hacked. Here is the email exchange:

Elsewhere To Hosting Company:
    =========
    Both of my sites are down:
    [mySite1]com
    [mySite2].com

I also noticed that the HSphere is not working. I can login to HSphere but cannot access the file manager.
    =========

Hosting Admin to Me:
    =========
    Hi:

hey [Elsewhere] your site not down

1 hacked http://[mySite1].com just delete that Idiot index page that most of

time fixes the Issues and change your PASSWORD TO SOMETHING BETTER
    =========

Elsewhere To Hosting Company:=========
    Do not try to blame my password. It is long, alphanumeric and with punctuation marks.

You're server was hacked by "iSKORPiTX" using a known vulnerability that should have been patched on your servers. Entry was gained via this known vulnerability, not my FTP or HSphere account.

Reference:
    http://www.stokia.com/news/iskorpitx-iis-ssfm-hack-info.htm

Over the last year I have had to clean up my site from being hacked by worms no less than four times.

This is happening due to pore security measures and a gross lack of proper server patch updates.

You guys need to get your act together.
    =========

Hosting Admin to Me:=========
    excuse me No just your account was hacked so stop your Bullshit

Admin
    =========

Yup... that did it for me. I'm signing up for a new hosting company tomorrow.

I know he is lying because over 40,000 websites were hacked by the same hacker using the same technique... all within a 24 hour period.

Reference:
    http://www.stokia.com/news/iskorpitx-iis-ssfm-hack-info.htm

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yeah, he sounds like a real tool.

There are plenty of quality hosting companies out there.

No need to stay with this guy.

I can give you the names of the two that I use, if you PM me.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Maybe he himself is the hacker?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

...and the name of the hosting company to be avoided at all costs is...?

• nelly136
    nelly136

when you change your hosting you should use the opportunity to email all your own customers a news letter telling them your site is now up running and trouble free now you've changed from whichever hosting was running a dreadful service, that way they can avoid that hosting too and if theyve been to your site while its been in a hacked state it could put them off returning unless they know theres been changes.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Name and shame buddy. I'm in the process of looking for a new service myself. Who do I need to avoid?

Was it GoDaddy (as was hinted in the linked article)?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, what an idiot!

S

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> ...and the name of the hosting company to be avoided at all costs is...?

www.eastendhosting.com

Oh, and here is the real kicker. I got this email this morning:

================
    Dear Customers,

Unfortunately due to sudden Trojan virus attack and malware injections in server we were forced to run a sytem check utility, anti-virus scan to protect other files from getting affected. As a result of this the infected files are all removed from server. If any of your web files found missing kindly re-upload the missing files through FTP to avoid site downtime.

Even though the server was fully optimized and secured, from server audit report we came to know that permission vulnerability and Perl script executions are the main cause of this infection. So please make sure that you set right permission 644 for files and 755 for directories in your web directory and periodically reset FTP password to a complex one such that no one can guess.

For any further clarification feel free to contact us through Live Chat or ticketing system. We regret for any inconvenience caused because of this. Thanks for your co-operation.

Support Team
    Host Department
    ================

Ohhhh... I guess their servers WERE hacked as I told them.

Very sad when a customer knows what's happening to their servers, why it happened, and how to fix it before they know.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

So www.eastendhosting.com is not only incompetent but they're massively rude. Ever notice the two often go hand in hand? Incompetent people are many times extraordinarily rude as well?

Not to hijack but a quick aside -- I've noticed that whenever the nursing staff or receiptionist is rude or incompetent, so is the doctor. I've never found the reverse to be true.

So Else, say bye bye to www.eastendhosting.com. Don't beg them to take your money!

• TD
    TD

That's too bad. I've had a few minor issues with GoDaddy, but the support staff have been consistently courteous and helpful

I don't know anything about eastendhosting. Is their support staff even based in the U.S.? The English in the emails you have posted is broken in the pattern of an Asian speaker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit