Is it alowed to watch / read Harry Potter movies (books) in your area?....

by Albert Einstein 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper
    sitting down with the family and popcorn to watch The Wizard of Oz every year

This took place in my congragation too, sometimes several families getting together to watch.

Today, I would have to say "Harry Potter" would be out of the question.

Cas

• teel
    teel

I live in Eastern Europe too (Romania). As far as I remember Harry Potter was never said directly as forbidden, yet it was the common consensus. It was a strange development to my family really. I bought the first books, and started reading it with my wife. She absolutely enjoyed it, couldn't wait to hear more, and looked forward to getting the 5. book (it was still not out then). Then at the 6. book he was somewhat reluctant, like "oh, I don't know, ok, let's read it". Then at the 7. she was completely against - no way, they're demonic, they promote wizardry, etc. But "could you tell me how it ends?" "No dear, you have to read it for yourself". After half a year she sort of had a nervous breakdown, and wanted to throw out the Harry Potter books, because it was clear that our house is full of demons because of the books.

This change was much due to pressure from our congregation members. Although it was never mentioned from the platform, I heard several casual comments that how "demonic" it is.

I had a similar experience with the "Da Vinci Code". At one casual meeting one regular pioneer went on and on about the book - she saw some documentary or something. I was sort of hiding at that time, so didn't come out front and ask her is she read it. Obviously she didn't. If she did then she would either discovered it was only a work of fiction (don't care what Dan Brown says), and/or knew the story is against the Catholic church, so everyone who read/saw it would listen to the "good news" better.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

How´s about "The devils advocate" then? Highly forbidden?

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

At a circuit assembly in woodland hills a bethel speaker specifically mentioned his disdain and Jehovah's displeasure that so many JWs watched Titanic with its fornication and nudity and Star Wars with its blatant mockery of Jesus.

It was honestly the beginning of my awakening and fade process.

Years later Harry Potter was specifically mentioned in another DC part.

Bottom line was the majority of active JWs could give a rats ass what was said and chose to go to the movies anyway.

Every movie could be dissected and used to browbeat consciences. It worked on some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit