What is the scriptural basis for the claim that we pay for our own sins with our death?

by isaacaustin 24 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The WT makes the claim that Jesus died for Adam's sin, and thus covered Adamic sin. We carry our sins with us, and they are held in abeyance so to speak, until

a) we die

or

b) the new system

at which point they are forgiven.

What is the scriptural basis for this assertion?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isaac

If Armageddon comes today, how will JWs, (who survive) like angel eyes, pay for "THEIR" sins?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

If I recall correctly, the WT teaches that the surviving of the great trib and persecutions levied against JWs (since they will be the only group not to falter under persecution) will be the testing and they will be granted entrance to the kingdom. I do not recall if their sins are forgiven at that point or after the final test at the end of the millenium.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Hmm... I thought the wages of sin is "Death".

• sir82
    sir82

JWs base it on Romans 6:7, which reads (in the NWT) "For he who has died has been acquitted from his sins".

Of course, even a cursory reading of the first 6 verses of that chapter reveals that the "death" spoken of in verse 7 is not a literal, physical death, but then again, when did the WTS ever worry about context?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

yeah seems a bit of a contradiction there....

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Totally agree Sir82

Sir82, what is the official WT answer to how one who survives into the 'new system' pays for their sins?

• sir82
    sir82

Not sure...I think it has something to do with Jesus' ransom sacrifice covering those sins.

The "death cancels out your sin" doctrine is what allows them to teach that (nearly) everyone who died prior to Armageddon gets a resurrection and a "2nd chance" in the new world.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Romans 6:

Death to sin, alive in Christ

Those baptized into Christ have DIED to Sin just as Christ died, and are alive in Christ.

That said, that passage from Paul 6:6-7 does give tha allusiuon that Paul is saying that when a person dies, their sin dies, so it is when we "die" in Christ.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Don't worry Isaac I'm sure they can bank some hours

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit