Why do they have clothes on?

by Simon 20 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Well, Red,

It's nice to know that your house will survive Armageddon even if we won't.

Nobody's tagged my house. Darn.

waiting

• TR
    TR

I always wondered why the men in the mags. wore slacks and wing tip shoes in the country. Women with their pumps and fifties style dresses.

TR

• logical
    logical

Have they fixed the clothing problem in their literature yet? I havent seen a new magazine for a few months now.

• Seeker
    Seeker

The explanation I was told is that because we will always have seasons (post-Flood, and not the way it was in the Garden of Eden), there will now be a need for clothing that didn't exist before. Granted, not bitter extremes, but no longer the global tropical climate that made going without clothes easier to deal with.

As for showing naked bodies in the Watchtower, they did for many years. Even as recently as, I think, the early 60s, Eve was pictured topless in the line drawings of her (but always with a strategic, uh, bush to cover her, well...). Nowadays that could never work, what with the use of photographs and all. Still can you imagine how popular some Bethel sisters would get if they posed for photos topless, a la Eve?

Would make convention dramas more interesting too...

• joelbear
    joelbear

Simon, let go take a sauna. I have heard of some great places outside of London.

I would say that the pictures in the magazines portray life during the first 1000 years, when mankind will still not be perfect, so we would still need clothes. After that, naked city I bet.

I believe clothes separate us from nature and are one of the signs that man will eventually destroy the natural world. Read my lifeism page for more detail. www.joelbear.com/lifeism.htm. For those brave of heart, visit my naturism page to see just how much I hate to wear clothes. Please let me know which one you would vote for for a magazine cover.

hugs

Joel

• wasasister
    wasasister

As I recall, some of the post-Armageddon illustrations assumed people rising from the dead would be without clothing. One illustration stands out in my mind where a woman is rushing, arms outstretched, towards a resurrected loved one. The woman's body blocks her loved one, but it is obvious that the other is naked. On the woman's outstretched arm....a garment for her friend.

If this is the case, I'm going to hang around the cemeteries after the big one!

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

There was a WT article in the last 18 months that had a picture of a naked Eve - although unfortunately for all the men in the Hall she was again "hiding" behind a tree!

It made me wonder - on one of the WT videos they say that models pose for photographs in the magazines, and also to get a good likeness for the paintings. It showed a brother dressed as Moses (?) posing for a painting.

So my friends, which randy brother at Brooklyn got the assignment for the Eve picture mentioned above??

Enlighted UK

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Simon,

Those are pictures of life during the 1000 years before the JWs have reached perfection. Until then they have to cover their imperfect bodies and wait until they have perfected bodies like gladiators.

• DB
    DB

What gets me is how the women in practically every illustration, whether a current photo or drawing, or a drawing depicting the New World, is wearing a dress or skirt. Sisters picnicing in dresses. Hiking in dresses. Never wearing shorts or slacks. My wife has commented on this many times.

• ros
    ros

Hello, Simon:
    I posed this very question in an article on BEACON website - www.xjw.com
    Article is titled: "Paradise on Earth--When?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit