Holidays

by IronHill 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IronHill
    IronHill

As the holiday season approaches, me and my wife (yes finally married!) are looking for ways to celebrate the holidays, secretly. I think we both would love to partake in them publicly, but our current status and relationships wont allow that just yet.

Any suggestions on how to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas privately?

Thanks!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Thanksgiving shouldn't be a problem. Lots of witnesses do a turkey dinner that day. If for no other reason that they have the day off from work and turkeys are on sale. Just have a private dinner. Decorate your house using lots of fall items: leaves, pumpkins, dried corn, hay, etc.

For Christmas: Will any JWs see the inside of your house? If not, you can decorate how you like, but I wouldn't have a tree visible in the window. Exchange gifts with your wife and any non-JW friends or family whom you can be sure won't rat you out. Do an act of charity.

Have fun!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Go here: http://www.google.com/products

Search for "Christmas lingerie".

• yknot
    yknot

I am in a 'house divided' and our compromise has always to decorate by season.......

For fall we do lots of 'harvest' stuff......our gate has scarecrows representing each family member (so do our gardens!), garlands of fall leaves and acorns, bales of hay artfully stacked along with an assortment of pumpkins and gourds. Theme is carried in our home decorating too!

Our drive way is outlined with gourds that have been carved in artful scroll work and act as covers to the solar lights, creating a sweet glowing path at night...... We also have some carved gourds and small pumpkins hanging in the trees around our back porch area that creates a very pleasant theme for entertaining when you add battery lighted 'candles'.

For winter we go with a snow/winterwonderland theme.

Spring... flowers and other 'growing' stuff

Summer.... flip flops, sand and water activities.

I have only had one comment about someone feeling stumbled..... I pointed out to Sister SuperSelfRighteous after her very loud rant/condemnation that her insistance that we do as she would do was just as equally stumbling! I apologized to her and her Elder-Brother-in-law insisted she apologize back.

I love Leavingwt's suggestion too, but don't limit yourselves with 'holiday' wear.....

• yknot
    yknot

Regarding Halloween......

I hate it!

We skirt the issue of those who do celebrate by wearing handmade t-shrits that say 'Boo Humbug'

That said my area doesn't really celebrate Halloween, the churches offer 'Fall/Harvest Festivals' starting at the end of Sept thru Nov.

Kids are encouaged to dress up in 'wholesome' costumes.....any unwholesome wear is given a choir rob to cover and halo headwear!

• IronHill
    IronHill

bluecanary - I do remember "thanksgiving" dinners on Friday, to you know, cook the Turkey dad got for free from his employer. LOL... For Christmas, decorating the inside of the house will be difficult, but we will be exchanging gifts. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

leavingwt - great site! THanks!

yknot - I like your suggestion. Decorating for the season sounds like a wonderful plan...thank you!

• IronHill
    IronHill

any other ideas?

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

I'm as lost as you are.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Just put this in your yard. If any Witnesses complain, tell them it's not for Halloween, it's for laughs:

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Snowflakes and Snowmen are pretty safe. You can usually decorate with them without backlash. Get a cute snowman for the front door area and hang a pair of ice skates over a sled leaning against the house.

For fall...pumpkins and scarecrows are great! Leaves or acorns and pinecones are pretty too.

There are some really pretty "ornaments" for christmas that can double as tassels to hang from a dresser knob or door knob.

There are usually really pretty deer statues to use around the fireplace or on the porch. These can be purely winter decoration!

If you want a little more Christmas like decorations maybe put some in your bedroom or another room no one else would enter. Keep the curtains closed, and the door, and no one should ever happen upon by accident!

Enjoy! I remember the first times I went shopping for Christmas items! It was so much fun to finally embrace that this world of Christmas was now open to us! I hope you find a way to celebrate! They also have mini trees for desks. Maybe you could do a mini tree and if necessary, stash it in a drawer if someone stops by!

Get a couple Christmas movies and some music to listen to in the car! You'll know the words in no time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit