Anyone here have any experience of moving to a liberal Muslim country?

by lifelong humanist 11 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

I'd like to move in the next year or two to Turkey - a huge, self-supporting country at the far Eastern end of the Mediterranean. I want to retire at 60 - my wife will then be 61. Due to the local economy in Turkey, this could just be a practical possibility, not just a pipe-dream. Although we'd prefer Italy, which we've visited far more often, the costs there are just too expensive for our restricted budget!

The fact that Turkey is a liberal Muslim country doesn't deter me in the slightest! I have to admit that my JW wife is slightly less sure about this, though. I reckon that EU membership for Turkey is just a matter of time - which, if true, will just push Turkish prices up, big time. We've visited the country 5 times now, and enjoy each visit more than the last. Even my JW wife isn't too bothered about the religious legacy - as long as she can attend the odd JW meeting, I think she'd be willing to relocate. However, this might be rather difficult, as we're looking at the Aegian and Mediterranean Turkish regions - not around the capital, Istanbul, where I know there are some JW KHs.

Do any posters here have any knowledge of this incredible, ancient country? Do you know if there are any KHs in our preferred destination area? If so, do you know where they're located?

I'm thinking that this just might be the best way to get my wife JW finally free of the cult, and enjoy a low-cost lifestyle before old-age and its many potential health problems come our way. To live amidst beautiful scenery with such an incredible amount of ancient historical sites right on the doorstep, totally fills me with awe. Our 4 sons and their families can all well afford to visit us, should this move turn into a reality.

lifelong humanist

• White Dove
    White Dove

I have little information to go on and can only comment as a female about you guys maybe moving to a Muslim country. I couldn't do it because I would be way too concerned about my freedom and safety as a woman. I don't know where you are right now so don't know if that would be a major change for her, but Muslims don't tend to be female friendly as far as equality of the sexes goes. And their religion might hold a huge influence on their government and laws, thereby empinging freedom for women. You said liberal Muslim land, but I don't really understand what that means. Would your wife be required to wear a head scarf every where she goes and ride in the back seat of your car, or be arrested and beaten for not having you with her if she wants to take a stroll around the block? You'd know more, though, but that's my feeling on the matter. Sounds like a beautiful place to live, regardless.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Turkey is one of the more moderate Muslim countries but not sure if there are KHs in the more coastal holiday places.

I recall being told once that witnesses from the UK and other Western European countries on holiday shouldn't attract attention by attending the meetings as the witnesses were partly underground. Not sure how up to date that is though.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Had friends in Ankarra, they were missionaries but now they are there as ordinary jws, they associate with the english speaking brothers and sisters. Away from the capital the traditional muslim ways are much more entrenched and it can be quite a culture shock. I would recommend that you try a long term holiday 3-6 months renting a place before you make the final move over there. I have know friends that have moved to Spain and are back in less than 2 years, they just could not fit in, and that is not a muslim country.

All best for your plans

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

September 2009 Pew Study

74% of Muslims in Turkey Say Violence Against Civilians is 'Never Justified'

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1338/declining-muslim-support-for-bin-laden-suicide-bombing

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I have little information to go on and can only comment as a female about you guys maybe moving to a Muslim country. I couldn't do it because I would be way too concerned about my freedom and safety as a woman...Muslims don't tend to be female friendly as far as equality of the sexes goes. And their religion might hold a huge influence on their government and laws, thereby empinging freedom for women. You said liberal Muslim land, but I don't really understand what that means. Would your wife be required to wear a head scarf every where she goes and ride in the back seat of your car, or be arrested and beaten for not having you with her if she wants to take a stroll around the block?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/05/turkey.scarves/index.html

Turkey's top court has upheld a ban on wearing Muslim headscarves at the country's universities.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Anyone here have any experience of moving to a liberal Muslim country?

No. I've never been to France.

Farkel

• Satanus
    Satanus

What about medical services, over there? For instance, if you needed heart surgery, could they do that? At what cost?

S

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Turkey's military and a large portion of their population are fanaticaly secular, and have kept the muslim fundies mostly under control. There was some question as to whether their military would stage another coup with the election of their current government, but it never came to pass.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Not sure I understand the significance of the KH locations. Are you trying to move somewhere where your wife will lose contact with the JWs due to isolation from regular meetings? That is the most elaborate scheme I have ever heard here on the subject of de-programming ones mate. I don't know much about Turkey except that, like Mexico, once you go outside the modern urban culture you will realize you are living in a third world country (i.e. ignorance, poverty, extreme religous attitudes, in this case, Islamic, etc).

There is probably more first hand, uselful information on the internet or at your local library that you could possibly read. But if you are seriously pondering this kind of a move I recommend you start reading and consider contacting other ex-pats that have been there and done that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit