What do you know about Scotland & Scottish witness culture

by jambon1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

So what do you know?

• Charlie Cheddar
    Charlie Cheddar

Fit do i ken about Scotland?

I used to work in Peterhead (just near Aberdeen), i've got to admit i could hardly understand anyone when i first got there, the Doric accent is so strong i should have took an interpreter with me. lol.

Nice people the Jocks are though, i totally enjoyed working with them.

Shame about todays 2-0 drubbing by Japan though! Hahaha. (i'm English BTW)

CC

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Deep fried Mars Bars amd Buckfast

• jambon1
    jambon1

CC

It's another world up there!

Aberdeen = Oberdeen.

It's a doft!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Don't the brothers have to make sure their kilts hang below the knees? Do they have to cross their legs when they sit?

Honestly, I don't know a thing about the Scottish witness culture, but I know enough about the Scottish people to tell you I would love to have more people in my life as nice, honest and friendly as they are.

Farkel

• DocBob
    DocBob

We went home to Scotland this summer. Shea and I are both of Scottish descent and have been involved in Scottish events here in the US for a few years now. Our trip this summer was my wife's third trip there, my first - but not my last. We went for The Gathering - the Scottish games and clan gathering. We spent a week in Edinburgh and another in Inverness. I felt more at home there that I have in many places here in the US. I know little about the JW culture there, but had a great time hanging out with Ninja. He met us at the rail station in Glasgow and drove us around Loch Lomand. We returned to Glasgow and enjoyed some curry and company with Ninja, passwordprotected, hoboken and iknowall558.

• dissed
    dissed

My understanding of Scotland is limited to Willy, the gardner from the TV show, The Simpsons. I hope all Scott's aren't like Willy.

I assume there is some truth to his character. Like when he was born, his father commenting on his ugly looks. "I think the lad come out of his mothers wrong end"

His brutal honesty, not the Scot's looks.

My mother in law had Scottish roots and at her funeral service, we had the bag pipes play Amazing Grace. Very beautiful.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

I'm originally from Edinburgh but live in England now.

My memory of growing up was the celidhs that we used to have. They were witness gatherings with lots of traditional Scottish dancing and were good fun.

There was however, a noticeable dfference between the congregations that I was in compared to my English relatives. They seemed to be more friendly and sociable whilst the Scots were a lot more introverted.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Do the brothers really wear kilts to the meetings there??

My dad is scottish :) We all live in Australia though (I'm first generation Aussie)...

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

No kilts at meetings. You will find the occasional poser at the district convention wearing one. They are only worn for weddings.

Even "worldly" Scots only wear them for weddings really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit