Is Fantasy Destroying The Watchtower?

by metatron 19 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

All religions involve a measure of fantasy. We all need some fantasy and seek it out in movies, novels, video games or other forms of entertainment. Danger arises when fantasy dominates our lives and pushes practical matters out of the way.

When the Watchtower was 'young' as an organization, it attracted a large number of people who were accustomed to hard work and dealing with the practical challenges of economic depression and war. The "Armageddon Soon" fantasy helped them get thru a difficult life.

Fast forward to 2009 and what do we find? An organization whose practical achievements are vanishingly few and whose most zealous efforts yield little of value. They appear to be good at erecting buildings - as long as you don't look too deeply to notice Kingdom Halls constructed too quickly, brothers who contend with each other over nothing, slick, expensive marble floors that must be carpeted to stop lawsuits, bathroom fixtures torn out after being installed yesterday, huge cost overruns, and much more.

They used hot lead letterpress to pump out books until a group of brothers (now 'apostate', I believe) carefully pointed out how much money could be saved by other methods. They skillfully hide their printing plant disasters in planning and execution.

They villified Ray Franz but will eventually be forced towards many of his more moderate insights.

Their "preaching work" has transitioned from a practical means of trolling for converts into a sterile ritual that doesn't even net donations.

Their efforts at keeping families together are a tragic failure while dreamy Witnesses ignore the evidence of wreckage around them.

Elders? Those that used to be effective and caring have quit or just given up amidst the politics.

The Organization that published seven volumes of Studies in the Scriptures now produces "Dick and Jane At The Seashore" literature ( and still some say it's too hard???!!)The Kingdom Ministry advises assembly attendees as if they were morons ....oops! I meant mentally challenged.

and the best fantasy of all? "It's Jehovah's Organization. He'll find a way to pay for it".

It always was a heady mixture of fact and fantasy. I think the fantasy portion has drowned what little practical fact remains. I think about this everytime they can't run the sound ......or the magazine counter..... or the congregation accounts competently.

metatron

• minimus
    minimus

Met, great thread!

They live in their own little world because

they are a

cult.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Thanks Met. Very good post.

Sour Grapes

• Gayle
    Gayle

It would be more reasonable for them to go to Disneyland everyday at all cost to eke through their dull lives.

• willyloman
    willyloman

It was this downward spiral meta describes, above, that woke me up and got me to thinking seriously about whether I wanted to continue investing my life in a sinking ship. I believe it's having the same effect on a lot of other thinking dubs.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks metatron....your posts always read like thought-provoking editorials from the newspaper Op-Ed page. The Society has a real hard time distinguishing fantasy from fact. Case in point:

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system of things is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur' (Matt. 24:34). Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers" (22 May 1969 Awake!, p. 15).

There have now been many generations of broken promises to the youth....The term "fifth-generation Jehovah's Witness" pretty much says it all.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Excellent point Metatron. Although this wasn't my "a-ha" moment, when I got a letter from the Society upon my arrival as a missionary in Cameroon stating that any unexpected medical procedures would have to be partially taken out of my stipend until I reached 15 years of service, I could see the writing on the wall for the entire borganization.

If they weren't going to (or couldn't) take care of missionaries, what did that say as to any human resources the borg was using?

The borg isn't interested in seeing if Jehovah will pay for Bethel facilities, KH's, or missionaries. They want to be able to save "Jehovah" some money, instead of letting Jehovah provide the means to pay for it.

...and by "Jehovah" in quotes, I mean the Governing Body....

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Even their "fantasy" isn't so fantastic. This morning I noticed something most JWs don't give much thought to, and that is their idea of "Paradise" does NOT equal "Everlasting life".

• metatron
    metatron

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments.

The organization used to accomplish some remarkable things - and to a large degree, they still trade off their past achievements, as with Nazi Germany and legal victories in the Supreme Court. And these days? They worry about losing property to opposing governments and their lawyers are stuck fending off child molester lawsuits and trying to lie to European officials about transfusions. Their overall legal status is eroding.

Russell seized on the new technology of film and slide presentation. Rutherford set up a new radio station and created portable phonographs. Today, as to the newest media, the Watchtower is frightened by the internet and tries to demonize it.

I can remember the steam chests and extensive preparations for a convention that took practical labor and planning while mobilizing large numbers of brothers. No more.

And printing magazines and books? They sell off or discard their machinery in Brooklyn, build out Wallkill, shut down France and now, the branch in Spain? And move stuff to Canada? After they paid a fortune for presses that the friends wouldn't contribute for, so they had to pay for it with proceeds from the Furman building they sold off? And put equipment up for sale in Germany?

Just because a religions beliefs are laughably false doesn't mean it can't be practical otherwise. Like Mormons, for example. I guess the Family Meeting looked like a good idea - that will be the next failure. Too bad they don't imitate the Mormons on College!

metatron

• zarco
    zarco

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system of things is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur' (Matt. 24:34). Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers" (22 May 1969 Awake !, p. 15).

Leolaia - I remember that quote so vividly. A few years later - after 1975 - we were young people trying to figure out what to do with our lives and the 1969 Awake article was a centerpiece of conversation. I don't think the quote registered at the time it was published, but looking back what horrid advice the WT gave young people.

About three years ago a family with a high school aged son visited us. They were weighing a few options about what training to provide him after high school. He was a highly intelligent young man. They also separately discussed the matter with a their circuit overseer - the circuit overseer had made the statement to them that the WTS stance on education has always been balanced. In my discussion with the family, I quoted the 1969 Awake from memory and they did not believe me. We finally were able to dig up the exact quote and they became angry at me. They have not come back to visit, in fact I think they view us as apostate (we may be a bit too forward with our view of higher education).

zarco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit