Could the GB Perceive Preaching As Worthless?

by metatron 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Add me to the list of the perplexed..... what indications are there that JWs should develop a social conscience and get involved in social activism or individual acts of charity, benevolence, etc.?

• ~Jen~
    ~Jen~

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wound down the preaching work. There have already been numerous talks given by "anointed" brothers who say that the GB feels as if the worldwide work HAS been preached in fullfillment of Matthew 24:14 and now we're just waiting for the end to come. Not sure if that has been printed in literature or not but I have most definitely heard it in at least 2 talks.

Good spin to wind it down without raising suspision.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

If it was as valuable as they SAY it it, everybody would be doing it. As for some excuses that they are 'too old', what about when they weren't so old? I am just not buying that excuse. The impression I got was that they are somehow exempt from doing it. In a way it reminds me of the attitude of fat generals who want the young expendable people to risk their lives on the front lines.

As far as I am concerned, public preaching or field service is nothing more than a visible yardstick by which the elders in the religion can measure how 'faithful' or 'active' the JWs are. I don't think it serves much more purpose than that.

If the religion's real purpose was to warn the world, they would find a more effective way in this modern age instead of people knocking on doors.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I really do not see them winding down the 'preaching work'....unless they replaced it with another activity. In addtion to busy work slaving for the org, like holidays and other eccentric things it makes the JWs peculiar. School kids are embarrassed in front of classmates...etc. The WT aims to keep its members from forming a support system outside of the org, starting from an early age.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The latest info on having (real) love for your neighbor(i.e. charity)

I think that I must have missed this...Would you care to provide a reference?

As for the Preaching Work , I am sure that they will never stop it or discourage it. What is a J W, if he is not to "Witness"? It is their raison d'être.

Isaiah 6. 8/11

And I proceeded to say: “Here I am! Send me.”

11 At this I said: “How long, O Jehovah?” Then he said: “Until the cities actually crash in ruins, to be without an inhabitant, and the houses be without earthling man, and the ground itself is ruined into a desolation;

That is not to say that money saving methods might be found..but they have to keep the flock busy. What else are they going to do at weekends, play golf? work overtime? Horrors!

• sir82
    sir82
    The latest info on having (real) love for your neighbor(i.e. charity)
    I think that I must have missed this...Would you care to provide a reference?

It's a point made at the Annual Meeting, just held this past Saturday:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/182644/1/Other-Points-From-the-Annual-Meeting

• blondie
    blondie

When I lived and worked close to Bethel, I found that some of the GB did not go door to door, and these were not the wheel chair candidates. I also noted that many Bethelites did not either. Some had long work hours but not all. The wives would stay home when hubby had to work on Saturday morning; women who could drive to the malls in New Jersey but were timid about driving to the KH. There were some who were not that way but enough were to astound me. I would like to say that I was not in Brooklyn which is a different kettle of fish when it comes to traveling around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit