How to teach a child?

by GapingMouth 12 Replies latest jw friends

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Hi all, I have a daughter who is nearly 16 months old, and it won't be long before she starts understanding more and more of the rubbish at the KHs my wife takes her to. She will be very exposed to a lot of creationist junk and I can just imagine her getting brainwashed just as I was a born-in. Luckily I am in a position to reduce that or perhaps counter it completely. I've never had to to it before, and I learned all I know about evolution and my personal stand as an atheist in adult-terms. How can I teach that religion is a bad thing? That there is no God? That the God of JWs is barbaric? The beauty of evolution? My wife can be at the park and point out a tree and do the whole 'God made that!' Thing. What can I do? Can you give me some examples of what I could say? Thanks in advance. GM

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Teach her how to think for herself. Never discourage her from thinking for herself, even if she is disagreeing with some long held notion of your own.

This book might help you. It is not for kids only. It does not attack JWs and if your wife objects to it she will have some serious explaining to do to as to why. It should be available at your local bookstore and library.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-How-Think/dp/0140238301

Cheers

Chris

• behemot
    behemot

I agree with Black Sheep. We shouldn't teach our children what to think but how to think and how to recognize logical fallacies in reasonings (either religious, political and others).

Some good points here:

http://insidecredulity.blogspot.com/2008/04/richard-dawkins-open-letter-to-his.html

Behe

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Thanks both of you. I completely agree I need to teach her HOW to think and not WHAT to think. Thanks, I will check out that book.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

One of my favorite stories as a kid, was "The Emperor's New Clothes". I don't know why I thought of that when I read this post.

Just keep talking and being there, allowing your daughter to learn from your actions, and make her own choices.

lisa

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

GapingMouth

I don't know either yor or your wife's family circumstances, but...Have you considered excusing your daughter from religious education altogether? Why not reason with your wife to kindly refrain from taking your daughter along to any of the brainwashing sessions at the JW's Kingdom Halls?

Good luck!

llifelong humanist

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You wouldn't 't want to substitute one indoctrination for another. Black Sheep hit the nail on the head when he said to teach her to think for herself. She may want to believe in a creator, or not as she grows - it should be her choice. Teach her the value of reading, the value of reasoning, thinking things through, research. Let her be a child and explore in her childish wonder and find out the answers for herself.

If she asks a question, tell her the truth, but remember she is a child and to make it understandable to her. If you don't know the answer be truthful about that, if it's your opinion - let her know it's yours but that there are other opinions that don't agree with yours.

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Ah, if I 'opposed' the 'truth' and stopped my wife taking my daughter to the KH, it would, without doubt, end my marriage as I know it.

• shamus100
    shamus100

INform your parents / relatives / whatever that religion is a no-no. If they try to pry in the ol' Jehovah-ism, tell them that's enough, show them the door, get on with your life.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

how can someone stay sane being married to someone with a completely different worldview? i would be rushing for the divorce courts...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit