Skull a symbol of death

by loosie 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• loosie
    loosie

My daughter has a shirt that has a skull on it. she wore it to school. afterall it is halloween and skulls are the in thing. One kid said the school will make her wear her jacket to cover it up because it is a symbol of death. I am getting my degree in radiology... so to me it is a symbol of what is inside a human.

I told her that if they made her change her shirt the school would have to not allow people to wear their crosses on their shirts or around their necks because that is a symbol of jesus' death.

What do you think?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think some people have too much time on thier hands..

If a kid wants a skull Tshirt so what?

I`ve got lots of them..

.......................OUTLAW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is really well worth the read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_(symbolism)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

From Wiki:

Moreover, a human skull with its large eye sockets displays a degree of neoteny, which humans often find visually appealing—yet a skull is also obviously dead. As such, human skulls often have a greater visual appeal than the other bones of the human skeleton, and can fascinate even as they repel. Our present society predominantly associates skulls with death and evil. However, to some ancient societies it is believed to have had the opposite association, where objects like crystal skulls represent "life": the honoring of humanity in the flesh and the embodiment of consciousness....

The skull and crossbones signify "Poison" when they appear on a glass bottle containing a white powder, or any container in general. But it is not the same emblem when it flies high above the poop deck as the Jolly Roger: there the pirate death's-head epitomizes the pirates' ruthlessness and despair; their usage of death imagery might be paralleled with their occupation challenging the natural order of things....Pirates seized the symbol of mortality from ship captains who used the skull 'as a marginal sign in their logs to indicate the record of a death' "....

The symbolic image of the skull permeates the Indiana Jones movies to such an extent that skulls become décor—and even comic relief when Marion encounters multiple cobwebby skulls and skeletons during the escape from the subterranean Well of the Souls at Tanis (Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981). Every appearance of a skull in the Jones series emphasizes the 1930s' cultural view: a gulf between the rational, modern, progressive, scientific, and vigorously physical daylight world embodied by the intrepid American archaeologist, with the sinister, dangerous, mythical, exotic, dead lore of Antiquity or the Orient in torchlit interiors of caves and temples, as well as exemplifying the fate of those who have gone before but failed.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

i agree loosie

• undercover
    undercover
    I told her that if they made her change her shirt the school would have to not allow people to wear their crosses on their shirts or around their necks because that is a symbol of jesus' death.

I knew someone whose kid wore a t-shirt with motorcyle art and the number 81 on it to school. His teacher actually knew that it was a Hells Angel symbol and sent him home with a note saying the shirt was not allowed on school grounds, to which his biker father raised hell with the school at some kind of public meeting where parents and school board members were present.

During the course of the meeting they told him that since the number 81 was associated with the HAs, it was gang related and therefore not allowed.

The father countered that it was just a number, it did not orginate with the HAs but the school officials stood firm.

His last argument made quite the impression and caused people to squirm. He asked if kids were allowed to wear a cross and the shool people said of course they were. He said that the cross was a symbol of the KKK, a hate group, thus gang related and shouldn't be allowed to be worn on school grounds. The school official tried to say that the KKK were taking a symbol not of their invention and using it to their own end. At this the father asked what the difference was between the HAs using a number that they didn't invent and the KKK using a symbol they didn't invent and how could they discriminate against one but not the other.

He lost anyway, but it did back the school official into a corner that he could not get out of. It pissed off the "good Christians" in the audience but others praised him for pointing out the hypocrisy.

• manicmama
    manicmama

Undercover,

The cross thing is also an obvious division of church and state, they never argue that fact do they? MM

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

A lot of schools will allow crosses, but not pentacles. Depending on the area where you live, the school system tends to be hypocritical and intolerant. I had many Wiccan "friends" (or as close as a JW can get to that, anyway) in High School. (shame on me... ) It was at times almost painful to watch the way they were discriminated against.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if they won't allow skulls, but will allow crosses.

• loosie
    loosie

I live in the midwest. I bet if the skull was jesus' skull it would be ok.

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

saw your location

wasnt surprised

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit