Is the "torture stake" dogma a reverse idolatry in itself?

by JWoods 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

Actually, Deputy, we might even say that the JW have kicked it up a notch - 144,000 (remnant) is now a forgotten myth to them...the true mediator is now the Governing Body.

Other "partakers of the emblems" are now irrelevant.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

JWoods

Other "partakers of the emblems" are now irrelevant.

I'm with ya.

I'm still trying to bring "Limited Atonment", "torture stake dogma" and idolatry all together.

• designs
    designs

DD, you got it.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I'm still trying to bring "Limited Atonment", "torture stake dogma" and idolatry all together.

Don't look to Woods - I only brought up the "torture stake dogma" as an example of "idolatry".

I thought the "Limited Atonement" was a little-known GM prototype to replace the Oldsmobile 98 back before the division was resized down.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Sorry, but I just remembered this conversation I had with my JW aunt when I was about 15:

JWAunt: Besides, the cross is really just a pagan thing. You can tell just by looking at it that it's a phallic symbol.

Incredulous, teenage me: And a stake isn't a phallic symbol? Huh.

JWAunt: (Looking flustered) Well, not in the same way!

And they wonder why I'm not a JW...

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The so called torture stake is one of those Watchtower inventions that shows their true intentions. A stake is different from a post in that it has at least one end sharpened to a point. A common way to represent this is with an obelisk like the Washington monument. The top has a little pyramid that comes to a point. In ancient Egypt the obelisk represented Osiris and his male member, so it is explicitly a phallic symbol. Muslims practice a ceremony called "stoning the Devil" in which they hurl rocks at an obelisk that represents Satan.

Now the impalement is interesting. Someone could get impaled through the midsection or a limb by a spear or sword. The way Jesus is depicted in Watchtower art has him upright with the "torture stake" coming at him from below. He is nailed to it in illustrations, but this is misdirection from the word image of getting "impaled on a torture stake". Literally it would be thrust into him from below and if it exited could come out from his upper body. With his head in front of it the exit would be out near his kidneys so it does not enter the rib cage and start breaking bones.

So picture that image of Jesus impaled on a torture stake. The Watchtower has Jesus figuratively getting Satan's male member shoved up his rectum to impale him, which pretty much describes what they do to him with their doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit