A few questions concerning Jehovah's Witnesses doctrines

by garyneal 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Gary, your questions are valid, you are coming to pretty good conclusions because you want to know the truth. Your wifes answers will have to always protect her "religion".

I know JWs are a cult and they teach alot of crazy things. You need to come to your own conclusion too.

Keep asking her questions, the benefit of your questions is not the answer you get from her but rather the side effect of the product, she is forced to think.

keep asking questions but request her to back-up the the answers.

I hope this helps.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Gary, you said the Sunday talk was about Idols, the usual line up, sports being one of them. So what's the real teaching on sports? Can you be a coach if it causes you to miss meetings? How do they feel about coaching for a career? If anyone know's the answer, I would appreciate hearing it.

I asked that question before and was told it was a matter of conscience, but yet they gave a talk against sports Sunday? I don't understand.

• garyneal
    garyneal

cawshun:

I think with it being football season, they (or the brother who gave the talk) must have figured this would be a good topic to bring up. From what my wife said, she referred to people who go all out for their team, dressing in team colors or painting themselves in team colors and chearing from the stands.

This sounds eerily similar to what I use to hear from that old Independent Fundamental Baptist church I use to attend. I remember the preacher would tell his people not to miss church on Sunday night because you want to stay home and watch the superbowl. God expects us to be in His house whenever the doors are open. I can understand the commitment we're suppose to have towards God and it is hard to argue with that point, but I don't know. I just feel like sometimes we (Christian teachers not me personally) walk a fine line between being a moral compass, guide, and bringing the good news to others, and being controlling and abusive though unintentional. The Watchtower has certainly overstepped this bound and has done lots of damage and hurt lots of people in this regard.

I can remember back when I was in those Independent Fundamental Baptist churches feeling at times very depressed thinking that no matter what I did, it was never good enough. I can clearly see this attitude exhibited amongst the witnesses (both current and former). I just don't believe that God wants us to feel this way from the one place that is suppose to be our sanctuary (the church).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit