boozing as a jw

by Adrianoblue 25 Replies latest jw friends

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Yes, alot of Jw's I know/knew were drunks. Like Shamus says, its the only thing they are allowed to do (drink), though they may get counselled if they become drunk. But so many do it.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Interestingly, all the male JWs on my wife' side are also big drinkers.

• four candles
    four candles

There was a pub opposite the KH so a few used to go across after the meeting for a couple of pints. So JW's and boozing went hand in hand for us!!

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

except my hubby :) we both T-total...dont like it yuk.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    There was a pub opposite the KH so a few used to go across after the meeting for a couple of pints. So JW's and boozing went hand in hand for us!!

I remember a few brothers who used to have a few pints between the Sunday meeting then going out in Field Service. And I know of one who 'needed' a bottle of wine after the group study, lol.

• Farkel
    Farkel

A former poster here who went by "Englishman" had a whole series on this subject. Although he left the WT decades ago, he ran into a guy in a bar that was a regular there. He called him "Dub in the Pub."

The stories he told about the guy were hilarious.

Farkel

• highdose
    highdose

i confess i often needed a drink after the meetings! in fact it was a regualr thursdays and tuesdays night thing!

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I can't touch the stuff...not for lack of wishing I could have a nice drink and relax at times...it just has an almost allegic reaction in me. I hit the floor with Ny-Quil! It's a wonder I can bake cookies with vanilla extract! (Yes, I know the alcohol cooks off...that's why I use it in cooking pot roast! At least I get some flavor if not the real deal!)

But I know all the younger ones we were friends with rely heavily on booze for a good time. Their Facebook pages all show them with a drink in thier hand. It makes me sad. It's their way of coping...hanging out and drinking. Most of them started before being of legal age. They all were raised in the religion and keep a tight circle with each other. They play instruments, play pool, ski, dirtbike, skateboard...do normal young adult activities. But drinking is always prominent.

I know one couple with two beautiful little girls that have left and are now having drinking parties and smoking weed and just behaving indecently. It's like they want to leave JW world, but have lost all moral values along the way. I don't understand it. They were such a nice couple. I worry about their kids, and hope they are at Grandma's when Mom and Dad are doing all this. I haven't talked to them in years, but I saw the pics on thier MySpace page and it repulsed me. It's not a good environment.

• RR
    RR

Some of the biggest boozers I knew were right out of the Witnesses. When I first joined, I made friends with the Presiding Overseers young brother, I thought "hey, what's better than this?" Turns out this guy was "drunken sailor" and he was only about 20. After a few years, I had to turn him in, just to "save" him from himself.

He didn't talk to me for some years, then later "forgave" me. He got married, sank back to drinking, cheated on his wife, got divorce, was DF'd. Lord knows where he is today and what he's doing.

• RR
    RR

I worked with a brother in field service, it was 10:30 am when they paired us up and he was already plastered. He knocked on the door and introduced himself: "Hello, we are Jehovah's Witnesses ..." and then came from the householder; "No, you're a drunk!" and slammed the door in his face.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit